Headlight Lenses

Tim

Hey All - been a while.

I'm on my second set of headlights (these are all one piece on the C6) and they have the thin cracking that seems to be regular problem. My insurance company paid for this set but I don't think I can get them to cough up another 2 grand. The standard buffing didn't do it - used the Meguairs, even took it to have a 'professional' had them buff the headlights and no luck.

I think I've crossed the vinly tinting bridge and was told it wasn't a great idea do to heat build up.

Is there anything I can do to make these look less ugly?

Thanks

Tim

I'm not aware of a fix for cracking other than replacement. If you cover them with vinyl, what's the worst that could happen? They crack more?

Pictures would help, but I may have something for you.

I have the set of lenses I took off mine while doing halo's with only 45K miles, they are lightly pitted but no cracks or other marks.

I will sell you these for a good price if your intrested, or you can order a new set of lenses off ebay (OEM factory part) for $310.

If your intrested in my used ones I can post pictures...

Thanks

Tim

You could just go buy a C5..........(bazinga)

Thanks

Tim

You could just go buy a C5..........(bazinga)

Well I was gonna go backwards I go back to a C4----- :0

I'm not aware of a fix for cracking other than replacement. If you cover them with vinyl, what's the worst that could happen? They crack more?

Repeated bulb replacement, I'm assuming.

Pictures would help, but I may have something for you.

I have the set of lenses I took off mine while doing halo's with only 45K miles, they are lightly pitted but no cracks or other marks.

I will sell you these for a good price if your intrested, or you can order a new set of lenses off ebay (OEM factory part) for $310.

If your intrested in my used ones I can post pictures...

I've seen those but it was my understanding they seal up was an issue. Not so?

Tim

Maybe chat with Mike from VetteSthetics, he said it wasn't an issue when he did my halo's...

Get a hold of R L SEBRING on corvette forum. he'll sell you brand new set oem lenses a round $300 with instructions on how to remove your old lenses and put in the new ones. Sounds intimidating, but its not too bad. I did my last year

post-2323-0-62525300-1371014434_thumb.jp
post-2323-0-87197700-1371014390_thumb.jp
post-2323-0-24778100-1371014332_thumb.jp

Shane who did my clear bra said not to cover the lenses as it can hold moisture void the warranties.

VetteSthetics

Tim, I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your lights. I will PM you to see if you still need help with them.

Now for some housekeeping items and to dissolve some superstitions….

As Schmitty and many others that have done this swap can personally attest, unless you botch the sealing process you should never worry about integrity issues. Clear bra will not cause moisture or heating issues. Think about it this way it’s already a green house environment what more are you going to do to make it more hostile inside the light. The few horror stories you see with the (I installed the clear bra and now my headlights are ruined mantra) is BS. There is usually something else that exists and aggravates the issue after the bra being put on. At the end of the day you have to do what you are comfortable with.

More evidence to this effect is that one of my customers and myself both installed clear bras on our new lenses in FEB 13. With two pounds of custom aluminum hammerhead bezels inside the headlight, baking in the projector path and under the AZ sun, we have had no issues. In fact, when I do a set of new lenses I encourage a clear bra so you are not in the same situation 18 mos down the road. The Az environment and roads just chew these lenses up.

A headlight has three breather valves on the back side of the housing to prevent pressure build up, provide a path for ambient air (cooling) and to help prevent moisture build up…. I.E these are not sealed units. This is why every light I get into has sand, dust and debris in them. GM does not send them out the door this way. :nerd:

Good info. I never understood why a plastic film would hurt a plastic lens. Our, how a plastic clear bra would cause heat issues for a lens, but not a hood, which is over the engine and in the sunlight..

How about scuffing them with 4-600 grit and clear coating the lenses?

The ugly red headed stepchild wins for most redneck suggestion of the week...:lol Hell Bubba. If ya hold my beer I'll sand them thangs fer ya!

I have had my lenses clear bra'd since early 2010 with no known cracking nor failures. Granted my car is garaged kept so the sun don't beat on them much and only 17k total miles. But to this point, all is well with my bra'd lenses. just sharing my personal expierience.

#PIC4624: Fine Cracks or Crazing on Head Lamp Lens - keywords appearance cover crack crazing fade head headlamp lamp lens light - (Sep 26, 2007)
Subject: Fine Cracks or Crazing on Head Lamp Lens

Posted Image Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of fine cracks or crazing noticed on the headlamp lens. This may occur if the customer or dealer installs covers over the headlamp assemblies. These covers may not allow the headlamps to maintain proper temperature and will distort the OEM headlamp lens assembly.

Recommendation/Instructions:

General Motors DOES NOT recommend the use of aftermarket headlamp lens covers. If a customer chooses to install these covers, any distortion caused by the covers will be the responsibility of the customer and will not be covered under warranty.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Shane who did my clear bra said not to cover the lenses as it can hold moisture void the warranties.

#PIC3778: Headlamp Lenses Have Light Fog or Moisture - keywords fog head headlamp lamp light moisture - (Nov 18, 2005)
Subject: Headlamp Lenses Have Light Fog or Moisture

Posted Image Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may note that when the headlamps are on, light fog or cloudiness may be visible on the lenses. Some customers may also state that the headlamp lenses have condensation or moisture.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The headlamps feature a clear polycarbonate lenses. The light fog or cloudiness is caused by out gassing and is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. The headlamps are also vented, thus some condensation/moisture may be seen when humidity is high or there is a change in temperature. The moisture should burn off after one hour of headlamps being turned on. Please do not replace the headlamp lenses for the above concerns.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

That's not a fix. I've seen them crack without a vinyl cover. It also says a cover may cause cracks, not will. If an owner is out of warranty, there is no fix.

That's not a fix. I've seen them crack without a vinyl cover. It also says a cover may cause cracks, not will. If an owner is out of warranty, there is no fix.

Exactly, that's just GM's take on it.

VetteSthetics

This is awesome information, Thank you! I have never seen it in writing. Legal terms MAY and POSSIBLE help to keep liability on the side of the customer. In my experience and my customers, I have not seen any issues. This is an issue of quality control and running these headlights without a way to outgas.

"Fogging is a normal characteristic".... :) in the Navy oil leaking out of the number two engine on a P-3 was a normal too but not ideal and fixable! Chuckle.

From doing so many headlights my examination on these is that DRL/Turn bulb bakes the paint on the back side of the headlight Bezel causing in some cases a white powdery area. It burn off as gas and has no were to go but attach to the lens. You can see this phenomena on cars that have a bunch of junk in them or someone who smokes. The film on the glass is a type of out gassing similar to what is seen in out lights. New lense that I have put on have not experieced this.

I will throw a pic of the back side of some bezels to show you what i am taking about.