% of Oil Life Question

Big Tom

So I took a ride on Vulture Mine Rd. yesterday and when I got home My % of oil life said 51%. I had thought to change the oil when I got to 50% so I looked at my records to see what I had on this oil and was surprised to see 7678 miles since the last change.

How can I have that many miles on the oil and still have 51% life left?

I'll be changing it tomorrow. First change was at 797 miles Car now has 8475

There are fancy-schmancy algorithms that the computer uses to calculate oil life remaining. Do whatever you're comfortable with, with modern day synthetic oil you'll pollute it before it ever breaks down. I usually change my around 30% and that's usually around the 10K mark

Manual says change it when the Car says "CHANGE ENGINE OIL", or once a year. Seems kinda counter-intuitive for a guy who has always changed oil at 3,000 miles. So if I go by the computer I should be good for around 15,000 miles?

Manual says change it when the Car says "CHANGE ENGINE OIL", or once a year. Seems kinda counter-intuitive for a guy who has always changed oil at 3,000 miles. So if I go by the computer I should be good for around 15,000 miles?

Just depends on how hard you drive like Dwayne says, I think Tom HOXXOH has gotten nearly that kind of mileage out of his motor oil though

Yeah, I know. I'm still riding a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate that I bought new and I still change the oil and filter every 2,500 miles...

post-812-0-29870700-1393266822_thumb.png

When I was doing long road trips (5K+) I would get quite a few miles between changes. The most was 16,441. Since most of my driving is in town the last 2 years, I'm just barely going over 10K. I always changed between 0 and 3%.

Do whatever makes you happy.

Let me drive it for a week, I'll get it down to 10% for ya!

And, as an added bonus, you'll have venison steaks for supper after a rough day of changing oil!

:leaving

Well instead of letting anybody drive it for me. I'll just change it.

Dammit, foiled again !!!

I change mine every 3-5k but I'm a bit rougher on motors. This oil had ~6k on it but that is because a lot of it was driving down here.

You don't drive her hard enough. My current oil has about 4,000 miles on it and she's under 30% oil life left. :edward::3gears:

And you wonder why you need repairs so often. :busted:

OK, my Oil Life counter is in my Ford, but I don't really care what it says. Every 5K it gets changed at the dealer becuase it's still under warrenty. You should be good to go with synthetic for a much longer period, but Ford suggests that in a "high dust" area to change my oil every 5K, so I do. Jus sayin'.