• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aenigma

• Desertdawg

• Ted Y

• ChadC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It took two guys 17 hours each. I went to the shop 9pm on Friday night to watch them finish. They were done at 1am and the battery was dead when we tried to leave. It was too funny.

post-2008-0-12099300-1394407441_thumb.jp

post-2008-0-24723500-1394407472_thumb.jp

post-2008-0-08458700-1394407522_thumb.jp

post-2008-0-56076100-1394407547_thumb.jp

I've decided to keep my blackouts off the lights. It looks better without them. I have to go back for some finish work. It was already 1am and I didn't want to leave it there any longer.

I have amateur experience under my belt and done 6 cars now, but I would get 50% of my labor money back

I am NOT slamming you on the design. Quite frankly the chrome and black rear end looks really good.

the front is not my cup of tea.

What I find very piss poor is the seams on the halo and the 2 seams on the back bumper.

the 3m 1080 brushed aluminium black film comes in 60" wide sheets. there should NO EXCUSE to have a seam in those locations.

there have been hundreds of vettes done with the halo and back bumper done with no seams.

im disappointed that the installers thought that was ok.

I almost wonder if they did not have enough material and this was a compromise. IE piss poor planning.

I have amateur experience under my belt and done 6 cars now, but I would get 50% of my labor money back I am NOT slamming you on the design. Quite frankly the chrome and black rear end looks really good. the front is not my cup of tea. What I find very piss poor is the seams on the halo and the 2 seams on the back bumper. the 3m 1080 brushed aluminium black film comes in 60" wide sheets. there should NO EXCUSE to have a seam in those locations. there have been hundreds of vettes done with the halo and back bumper done with no seams. im disappointed that the installers thought that was ok. I almost wonder if they did not have enough material and this was a compromise. IE piss poor planning.

He had a lot of black left. I saw the roll. Stupid question.....what's a halo? There are a few things I need to take it back for, so I'll mention it. He's wrapped up to a thousand cars so far. It's his only business and he's definitely successful so I'll ask about the seams as soon as you tell me what a halo is.

I did the front that way to keep it looking like there were no car part additions (ie just a hood being a different color looks like the good was replaced and not painted the same color), as well as to keep the chrome from getting damaged by road debris. The chrome is real sensitive to scratching etc. Chrome on the front lip would be a mess after one ride. There are already a bunch of scratches which I knew would happen when I chose it, so I may replace it in the next year or so. I think the front end is cool. What would you have done? I went through a lot of scenarios in my mind prior to.

please please, dont take my artistic opinion as a negative.

if you are happy that is all that matters.

yes you are correct the chrome is sensitive to scratches and fading after 60 days. but that is the nature of the beast.

this is the halo. the painted part between the back glass and the targa top.

Posted Image

I suspect he wanted to keep the 'grain' of the wrap flowing front to back. but at a cost of a seam.

if it were me I feel the lesser of 2 evils is to switch the grain as needed but have no seams (some parts will have the grain front to back, some will be side to side. Not unlike a real delorian).

for me a seam in the vynal screams FAKE!!!!

but with no seams, its an illusion of color.

for me having the grain switch direction on a black material that is being contrasted by a chrome part will not be noticeable in my opinion.

as to the front, chrome is Liquid mercury in motion for me.

I would have done the front as if I dipped the side of the car in a Chrome Paint bucket and rolled it forwarded as I pulled it out. .

You have most of that effect already but the headlights foward looks bad.

I would have taken the chrome in a fluid manner across the nose aiming for a spot in between the front license plate and the fog light area.

yes, it would be at risk for chips and scratches.

BUT you can do a Clear Bra material to help offset that.

please please, dont take my artistic opinion as a negative.

if you are happy that is all that matters.

yes you are correct the chrome is sensitive to scratches and fading after 60 days. but that is the nature of the beast.

this is the halo. the painted part between the back glass and the targa top.

Posted Image

I suspect he wanted to keep the 'grain' of the wrap flowing front to back. but at a cost of a seam.

if it were me I feel the lesser of 2 evils is to switch the grain as needed but have no seams (some parts will have the grain front to back, some will be side to side. Not unlike a real delorian).

for me a seam in the vynal screams FAKE!!!!

but with no seams, its an illusion of color.

for me having the grain switch direction on a black material that is being contrasted by a chrome part will not be noticeable in my opinion.

as to the front, chrome is Liquid mercury in motion for me.

I would have done the front as if I dipped the side of the car in a Chrome Paint bucket and rolled it forwarded as I pulled it out. .

You have most of that effect already but the headlights foward looks bad.

I would have taken the chrome in a fluid manner across the nose aiming for a spot in between the front license plate and the fog light area.

yes, it would be at risk for chips and scratches.

BUT you can do a Clear Bra material to help offset that.

I asked about a clear bra. He said it can't be put on a wrap. I was going to buy a regular bra for long driving distances because I already have a chip from yesterday.

I asked about a clear bra. He said it can't be put on a wrap. I was going to buy a regular bra for long driving distances because I already have a chip from yesterday.

quote from 3m website

Q.
Can Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film be applied over graphics?
A.
Generally, Scotchgard film can be applied over graphics; however, if Scotchgard film is removed, damage may occur to the underlying graphic during the removal process.
Q.
Does Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film stick to bumpers?
A.
Yes.
Q.
Does Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film stick to plastic?
A.
Yes.
Q.
Can Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film be used for signs?
A.
Scotchgard film would likely adhere, but you would need to test any specific application. 3M has no specific testing data for signs, so no warranty can be offered.

yea.... this guy is not doing to well in my book.

Who installs clear bras? The seams are because I wanted the metal to run forward. Now that you mention it, that's why the seams.

Who installs clear bras? The seams are because I wanted the metal to run forward. Now that you mention it, that's why the seams.

clear bra is a 3m product. its the same installer who did your car.

WOW!! That looks great

Thanks! I loved looking at it in my garage today. It's really amazing.

They put teh racing stripes on teh wrong fender ???? Duh!

No. I'm gay so I put them on the right side.... Lol jk. I had no control over that. They made that mod on their own. They worked so hard that I was fine with them there. I had given them creative judgement. I didn't notice it was on the wrong side. I had them on both sides before.

. They made that mod on their own.

They probably drive ricers, or ...gasp... a mustang!!! :eek

Omg I had to drive my daughter's mustang to the repair shop this morning. I never thought I'd sit in a mustang. I must love her. What gets worse is the shop gave me a Malibu with 117,000 miles on it as a loner this week. It squeals like the tires are going to roll off any minute. I gave my daughter my G37 for the week. I don't want her in the Malibu death trap. Back to reality right? From chrome car to old Malibu. How do I do the face palm icon? Lol

Omg I had to drive my daughter's mustang to the repair shop this morning. I never thought I'd sit in a mustang. I must love her. What gets worse is the shop gave me a Malibu with 117,000 miles on it as a loner this week. It squeals like the tires are going to roll off any minute. I gave my daughter my G37 for the week. I don't want her in the Malibu death trap. Back to reality right? From chrome car to old Malibu. How do I do the face palm icon? Lol

The part about the Mustang was funny, but it didn't come close to the "loner" Malibu. :lol

I wish I could attach the squeaking of tires. This is sooo a humbling reality check. Abs brakes are out too.

post-2008-0-58041300-1394479982_thumb.jp

post-2008-0-13455800-1394480003_thumb.jp

post-2008-0-00923000-1394480022_thumb.jp