So.......just a little excited......

aenigma

Oh yeah, I have some hydro dipped parts under my hood. Been there for about 6 years now. With the engine heat and all, they still look as good as the day I put them on. So hydro dipped can be a good thing too.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aenigma

• Desertdawg

• Ted Y

• ChadC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting........I will have to see it before I pass judgement. I will not be able to attend the BBQ so get pics for me. Darci says you must have watched the movie "The Host". I guess there is some cars in that movie that are chrome too.

I saw a car picture online. I had no idea they exist. The Host is too scary for me to see :)

I'll bet Adam could CF hydrodip the mirrors and splitter.

I've heard it doesn't last long, less time than the wrap does though.
Thanks Eddie! Monique...I'm not sure where you heard that hydrographic imaging does not last very long but, whoever told you that was not very informed. Hopefully that wasn't your contact that does it. I personally use automotive grade acrylic urethane primers, base coats, and clears so, the process will SEVERLY outlast ANY material that you're going to have your car wrapped in. The higher end vinyl wrap materials are rated for approx. 7 years when kept indoors, out of the sunlight. I honestly don't know how the material being of the chrome variety will last...longer or shorter time frame. Being that I use the same materials that your car is painted with, the hydrographic process will last just as long as a traditional paint job. Please give me a call if you have any questions I can answer for you. Adam I can't wait to see what it looks like! I remember back in the late 90's when they first came out with the chrome vinyl, and Darryl Waltrip wrapped his Nascar stock car in it. To say that had a look of impact is an understatement! I hope it doesn't blind YOU driving it!
Very interesting. I researched hydro dipping online and some people on there were saying it wasn't lasting. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now that i know it's going to last. Gotta figure it out quick though.

Very interesting. I researched hydro dipping online and some people on there were saying it wasn't lasting. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now that i know it's going to last. Gotta figure it out quick though.

As with most things, there are people that post comments online that have no idea what they're talking about.

With that being said, there are also people out there that are doing hydro dipping and they're using Krylon, or some

other brand of spray paints to complete parts. There are also many people out there that CALL theirself a professional

hydrographic printer, and they're doing the process in their bathtub, or a Rubbermaid type container. That's not to say

that you can't achieve a quality product that way, but that's not a very sure way of maintaining quality control, and the

people that are doing this, are usually also the ones who use very inferior quality materials.

If somebody has had parts done from one of these people, I can understand why they would post comments about the

process not lasting very long.

We have a Hydrographic printing forum, where industry "professionals" can communicate with each other....much like Ace.

I find it very scary that there are MANY so called "Professional" hydro printers out there, that boast about the fantastic

results that they get with spray can materials. I would stay VERY FAR away from one of those printers! :)

My intention is not to bash somebody else in the business. I just know the difference in using a Krylon spray can,

and using high quality 2K Urethanes to complete the process.

If you haven't seen the thread (Review, Arizona Hydrographix) that DesertDawg posted in the "General" category, please take

a peek at it if you want to take a look at the quality of my work.

I'm interested to see how it handles rock chips and sand blasting.

It's supposed to protect the actual paint job like a clear bra would so I'm assuming the same as a clear bra. The nice part is parts can be redone without having to redo it all. I am curious too. It's stretched and tight to the surface.

I'm interested to see how it handles rock chips and sand blasting.

It's supposed to protect the actual paint job like a clear bra would so I'm assuming the same as a clear bra. The nice part is parts can be redone without having to redo it all. I am curious too. It's stretched and tight to the surface.

I am not sure how the wrap material you are getting compares to the wrap material of the stripe on my car, but I can tell you that from comparing my car to others that have the clear bra, that wrap material on my car does NOT protect the paint in the same manner as a clear bra. . .

And what makes you think we are going to let you get in front ????

What makes you think you can go fast enough to prevent it :P I will take an inflatable deer to the Gila Bend Meet this year now :LolLol:

May want to check the legality of a chrome car. Friend was just talking about this last night and said there is some wierd law that only ~40% of a car can be reflective/chrome. Friend chrome wrapped his civic and got pulled over nonstop, ticketed a ton and finally had to make it a show only car and just tows it around because it isn't legal to drive on the street.

I'm not aware of a law here in AZ. Otherwise lots ooh Harley Davidson's would be stopped. You just can't display a blue light to the front, it's reserved for emergency vehicles.

May want to check the legality of a chrome car. Friend was just talking about this last night and said there is some wierd law that only ~40% of a car can be reflective/chrome. Friend chrome wrapped his civic and got pulled over nonstop, ticketed a ton and finally had to make it a show only car and just tows it around because it isn't legal to drive on the street.

Was that in Arizona? I read all the laws I could find last week and couldn't find anything. I did find that a car has to be mechanically safe on the road but that's it. I know that some states have laws about it.

I'm not aware of a law here in AZ. Otherwise lots ooh Harley Davidson's would be stopped. You just can't display a blue light to the front, it's reserved for emergency vehicles.

I'll use the Harley Davidson comment in my defense if it happens. Thanks! Lol

This is pretty interesting: A chrome paint job, on the other hand is apparenty legal. It reflects the sunlight, thus lessening the amount of energy absorbed by the car, which leads to a cooler ambient temperature inside the car after sitting out in the sun all day. This cooler internal temperature means that the the AC does not need to be run as much in order to lower the internal ambient temperature of the car when occupied. Less use of the AC means less use of gas, and therefore, greater efficiency and fewer emissions.

This is pretty interesting: A chrome paint job, on the other hand is apparenty legal. It reflects the sunlight, thus lessening the amount of energy absorbed by the car, which leads to a cooler ambient temperature inside the car after sitting out in the sun all day. This cooler internal temperature means that the the AC does not need to be run as much in order to lower the internal ambient temperature of the car when occupied. Less use of the AC means less use of gas, and therefore, greater efficiency and fewer emissions.

Wow! Someone sold you a bill of goods. That would mean that black cars use more gas than white ones. Don't you think the manufacturers would have picked up on that. That sounds like a project for the eight grade science fair.

Wow! Someone sold you a bill of goods. That would mean that black cars use more gas than white ones. Don't you think the manufacturers would have picked up on that. That sounds like a project for the eight grade science fair.

Actually california tried to ban black and dark cars because of that reason.

Yes it was in Arizona. I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with it.

Do they know where the rule is? I've searched and searched. I don't necessarily want to get a bunch of tickets or make any lawyers rich. I sure like chrome though.

Guest badbobs95

Do they know where the rule is? I've searched and searched. I don't necessarily want to get a bunch of tickets or make any lawyers rich. I sure like chrome though.

A lot of people have said I have a chrome dome. Not sure what they're referring to.

i call bullshit.

I believe you UNREAL, but I think your friend is not telling you the entire truth. or skewing it a bit.

There is a difference between getting pulled over for:

..a Chrome Car

and

..."WHY THE F&^k ARE YOU PULLING ME OVER YOU PIG!!!.. DONT YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO!? My taxes pay yo0ur salary!!"

and when that story is retold all you hear " man that cop hated me and I was a perfect little angel, but I got a ticket"

my 2 cts

Actually california tried to ban black and dark cars because of that reason. Yes it was in Arizona. I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with it.
Years ago channel 12 news did an on air test with a black car and a white car. Outide color had nothing to do with interior temp. It was the interior color that effected the inside temp. Modern cars are insulated enough that outside doesn't matter.

I read the first myth buster about a body flying backward after being shot and thought wtf? The link is for what? Hahaha So I guess a black car is hotter than a white car. I believe it because I have both black and white cars. In the summer, hands down I'd rather jump in the white one.