Intake Plenum and Performance Question for SBC?

shua1269

So I have been thinking about using an air intake plenum(Pictured Below) For my SBC 406 Build to give me more room for a higher intake manifold. Has anyone used them or Know a lot about the intake capabilities of them? Better, Worse or the same as a regular air cleaner? Any info would be helpful! Thank you!

post-2285-0-51570000-1390956766_thumb.jp

How tall is the carb hat from top to bottom?

One of the biggest issues with carb and Central TB cars is the 90 degree turn the air has to make from horizontal to downward through the carburetor or throttle body. The tighter this radius on the air cleaner, the more the performance loss that can be expected. Thus, taller air cleaners typically increase performance by increasing the radius the air has to turn within.

Taller manifolds help also, by giving the air a straighter shot to the back of the intake valve, so in this instance, you may actually be hurting yourself in one area by trying to help in another.

Cheers,

The Village Idiot

Thanks, that's some great info. I'm not sure how tall the carb hat is, I will measure and get back to you. I think I may scratch the plenum from my plans.