K&N and Other Filters Vs OEM

Cross

I talked about this thread a long time ago but the pictures were gone, well now they are present.

I would be curious to see if this time we can get a decent debate since we have all the figures from the test and its very clear that an oiled K&N not only lets more dirt through but is not all that much better than say an AFE that allows a lot less dirt through or the OEM which obviously does a better job filtering but doesn't flow as well.

Yes they flow better but at what cost is it worth it?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms.

Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

So trade flow for filtering. Question is how much filtering is needed and what is the difference in motor life vs 98% filtering and 96% or whatever the values are. Plenty of cars with TONs of miles with K&N style filters. I think bearings/etc wear out faster than anything related to sucking in a little dust.

What does ingesting a bit of dust do to a motor? Wear rings? Break pistons? Valve seats?

So trade flow for filtering. Question is how much filtering is needed and what is the difference in motor life vs 98% filtering and 96% or whatever the values are. Plenty of cars with TONs of miles with K&N style filters. I think bearings/etc wear out faster than anything related to sucking in a little dust.

What does ingesting a bit of dust do to a motor? Wear rings? Break pistons? Valve seats?

Thats a great question but this is the point that really made me decide against K&N Filters personally:

In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms.

Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

I need more data than that. What is bad? That could be like saying your compression went from 200psi to 199.9. Without a spec of what is good or bad it may not make a difference. Say the limit to hurt the motor is 10gms, I would be concerned. If the limit is 10k gms, then I really don't care.

Now if both make the same power, go for the better filter. What if the K&N makes 600rwhp and the delco 550rwhp? The only difference is the K&N motor will last 290k miles instead of 300k?

Pulling my filter on my car went from 917rwhp to 956rwhp. Almost a 40hp gain at the tires. For racing I'm all for pulling the filer.

I wish I got to pull it last time I dynode, that alone probably would have passed 1100rwhp.

I need more data than that. What is bad? That could be like saying your compression went from 200psi to 199.9. Without a spec of what is good or bad it may not make a difference. Say the limit to hurt the motor is 10gms, I would be concerned. If the limit is 10k gms, then I really don't care.

Now if both make the same power, go for the better filter. What if the K&N makes 600rwhp and the delco 550rwhp? The only difference is the K&N motor will last 290k miles instead of 300k?

Pulling my filter on my car went from 917rwhp to 956rwhp. Almost a 40hp gain at the tires. For racing I'm all for pulling the filer.

I wish I got to pull it last time I dynode, that alone probably would have passed 1100rwhp.

That's then what we need to know but here how about this one on your comparison.

The AFE vs K&N:

Capturing Dirt -

AC Delco 99.96%

AFE 99.93%

K&N 96.8%

Capacity before reaching flow limit -

AC Delco 573.9

AFE 232.5

K&N 196.3

Amount of Dirt Passed - (In 60 Minutes with the exception of the K&N which numbers were taken after 24 Minutes)

AC Delco .4

AFE 1.8

K&N 7.0

Flow Resistance -

AC Delco 6.23

AFE 4.99

K&N 4.54

I think that if your after that last few HP on the dyno or 10th of a second on the track, then run a K&N or nothing at all, but for daily driving the added protection is worth a couple of HP....

Curt, did you remove an aftermarket or stock filter for 40 HP???

During Porsche's tests, they found K.N filter dropped a full 10HP at the wheels on all of our Porsche's. We run the standard Bosch filters.

I'm not Curt but it was a K&N style filter that gain 40rwhp. Filter restriction becomes a lot more important on blower/turbo setups and high HP setups. On a 400-500 car the filter probably isn't an issue. On an 800+ car it very well can be. Like I said, it all depends on what you are building and want. I know of people running chicken wire over the inlet of turbos for years with no issues, just keep the big stuff out.

I've taken the dirt that was shaken out of a paper filter and dumped it on a filter mfg by K&N and had a significant amount go straight through. But the real question should relate to how much dirt is in the air that needs filtered.

With a stock location filter on a C5/C6 being driven in Vermont forest roads during the winter, acquiring dust is nearly impossible. However, put a CAI on that same car in the AZ deserts in summer and the dust will choke a filter quickly.

Keep in mind that the best filtration is obtained on a really good filter that is at the end of it's life, while the maximum power is obtained with no filter. Anything else is a compromise.

Here's one more fact that may have you checking the dirt from your snot on the Kleenex. A LS2 at a steady 60 MPH on a 1600 mile trip will breathe in the same amount of air that an average human does during a 75 year lifetime. Or expressed in a different way, a LS7 at redline breathes in one minute what the owner does in a whole day.

I'm not Curt.....

My bad, Sorry to confuse you with Ned. I'll get the 3 of youze guys figured out one day!

Tom, does it count if I breath real shallow?

I'm not Curt.....

My bad, Sorry to confuse you with Ned. I'll get the 3 of youze guys figured out one day!

Tom, does it count if I breath real shallow?

Stop calling my work number breathing like that!