Dipped, Halo's, and Painted

Desertdawg

Well I'm finally going to add to my list of cosmetic mods, here's what I have so far: 1. Billet aluminum oil filler cap Yeah I know it's a pretty small list but today I started in on a new extended list. First up is a full set of orange halo's for the front of the car. Then it's on to a few dipped parts under the hood, then add a couple of lenses to the dip list just for fun. And while I'm at it I figured now was a good time to finally get rid of that rusty rotor look and I might as well paint the calipers while I'm in there right. So here's Mike from VetteSthetics who came by to help remove the lights so he could make a "how to" video. post-3-0-45203900-1387240311_thumb.jpg Today I put her up on jack stands and pulled the wheels. Then scrubbed the grim so I can start painting tomorrow. post-3-0-60272100-1387240397_thumb.jpg post-3-0-92154200-1387240418_thumb.jpg And pulled the covers for dipping so I got a start on cleaning under the hood too. post-3-0-17886400-1387240442_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• ChadC

• P51tj

• Shifty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should look very cool when done. I just have one comment and I will be done. GRIM????? You should not have ANY grim to clean up anywhere on that thing. Its orange, you gotta keep that thing clean man...

Man since you have the wheels off, why not upgrade your brakes too?

Yeah I wish... So heres a question, since I have the Z51 package which already has nice front brakes, can I add just the rear disc and caliper off of a Z or GS without upsetting the braking? And yeah I guess I forgot an E on the word grime!

And, for some reason I always thought there was better cold air flow to the Z, since mine is a Z nose am I missing something under the air cleaner? Mines all sealed up! post-3-0-87247500-1387252794_thumb.jpg

Now it looks like all the other cars in Gila Bend. One headlight, no wheels, and up on stands.

Nice....and Nice

Man since you have the wheels off, why not upgrade your brakes too?

Yeah I wish... So heres a question, since I have the Z51 package which already has nice front brakes, can I add just the rear disc and caliper off of a Z or GS without upsetting the braking? And yeah I guess I forgot an E on the word grime!

the Z51 brakes are only 0.5" larger than a stock C6 (on the front) and use the same 4 piston caliper.

the Z06 is a full inch bigger with 6 piston calipers.

And, for some reason I always thought there was better cold air flow to the Z, since mine is a Z nose am I missing something under the air cleaner? Mines all sealed up!

Posted Imageimage.jpg

the holes are quite small. they only allow fresh air in. Its not a ram air effect.

In fact GM designed it so you can spray a garden hose at the opening and not get water on the filter element. there is a damper like device.

Yeah I know the front brakes are just a little larger but they don't look bad behind the 18 inch rims. It's the rears that suck. So being a cheapskate I was wondering if changing just the rear would have a detrimental effect on braking performance. Of course then I would need to find a set of take offs (Z or GS) in decent shape and that's not been very promising. For the cold air, is there an opening from the bottom?

You could always do a Halltech for a Z06 and have it tuned. I might be pulling my Pfadt headers off and swapping to ARH. Headers and a Halltech with a tune would be a HUGE difference. Have CPR port your intake manifold for an extra little bump.

Yeah I know the front brakes are just a little larger but they don't look bad behind the 18 inch rims. It's the rears that suck. So being a cheapskate I was wondering if changing just the rear would have a detrimental effect on braking performance. Of course then I would need to find a set of take offs (Z or GS) in decent shape and that's not been very promising. For the cold air, is there an opening from the bottom?

You can bolt on the rear Z/GS calipers and use the larger rotors without a problem. i.e. they'll fit

Of course, you'll need to be prepared for the rear wheels locking up every time you hit the brakes hard. It'd be fun for the spectators watching at an autocross.

Maybe just saying it's a real bad idea would be enough.

Just get the rotors cleaned and zinc plated. It's pretty cheap if you have a couple of other people wanting to do it too, to get past the plater's minimum price. Last time I had any plated, it was $66 and they'd do 10 for the same price and add another $6 for any additional after the first 10. I might be willing to be the third guy and handle the deal if you find a second guy to join in. It'll take a few days, so expect the car to be tied up for a bit.

For the air intake, either go with the Vararam for best performance or Halltech for the best appearance. You could prop the shroud for cheap performance, but the engine gets dirty quickly.

Well it was a productive day. Got the rotors cleaned and painted and polished the rims. post-3-0-49525600-1387343134_thumb.jpg post-3-0-70892900-1387343151_thumb.jpg post-3-0-04408400-1387343171_thumb.jpg And even the little ones on the back. post-3-0-77343000-1387343187_thumb.jpg The quart of ready to spray base coat I have didn't work to good, as I brushed it on it kept softening the high heat black I sprayed on first. So I used one of the premixed spray cans I have to mist on about 3 coats. Then on the fronts I scraped off the letters but it looked sort of just ok with silver letters. So I misted over them with the AOM spray and wound up with a more gold look from the metal flake. I thought it looked good so I cleared them all with high heat clear. Time will tell how well it holds up!

VetteSthetics

Dawg I was going to suggest you paint the CORVETTE letters black..... but I see the wheelies are back on....

Looks great!! :)