Vacuum line directly to Z06 mufflers, no controller

Jon

So I found a dude on Corvette Forum with a supercharged C6 that put Z06 mufflers on his car. He said he just ran a vacuum line straight from the engine to his actuators. No tank and no retrofit box or electronics. When cruising the valves are shut and the car is quiet. When getting on it the valves open. I'm going to hook a vacuum line up this morning and give it a shot. Would be cheaper than putting in new mufflers. Although I have an exhaust rattle/resonance that may be the Z06 mufflers coming apart internally. It only rattles at light throttle through a certain rpm then stops. At first I thought it was detonation. Scared the bejeebers out of me.

Video of valves hooked straight to engine vacuum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhL6Y2lejV0

Well that's pretty interesting. But I know the answer to the question..... What holds them open if you lift off of full throttle??? nothing! Or they will only open when you step on it, as engine power decreases to cruise or decelerate the flaps will close. While that might be ok for loud romps past the church on Sunday, it's the open flaps idling thru the parking garage and the sweet burble when downshifting that you will not get with this setup.

If you run the lines through the cabin with a simple ball valve in the line, you can have nearly full control. I say nearly for the same reason Dawg mentions. Any loss of vacuum that occurs during WOT or any other significant engine load (uphill in a higher gear) will allow the flaps to open. Lack of vacuum gets real easy with a blower. :LolLol:

It works good for steady state cruising. I can hear the hum of my tires now, lol. Also all the little squeaks and rattles a C6 has. :(

So you used it to close the flaps??? My bad, I thought it was backazzward the other way around!

They were open all the time, if it doesn't have enough vacuum they open. So worst case the car is loud. Revving it and WOT will be nice and loud.

Great setup.

They were open all the time, if it doesn't have enough vacuum they open. So worst case the car is loud. Revving it and WOT will be nice and loud.

Great setup.

It's working pretty damn good so far. In 6th if you give it too much gas it will drone though. I will eventually do the controller for it, but this works great for now and cost $10 in vacuum line.