Strong Gas Smell

Mregor

Now for the rest of the story...

Once I got below half tank, smell is gone. Not sure if it's just because the overflow finally evaporated out of the canister or if it is related to the half tank. It's my understanding that when you get to half tank it will use the driver tank only. This would imply that if I had a problem, it would be with the passenger tank. The passenger tank was completely dry when I crawled under. And to add more questions, look over the paperwork and it had the driver side tank sending unit replaced under warranty. So, it doesn't smell now. Think I'll just not overfill and hope that was the only problem. No check engine light so hopefully that's what it was.

Try waiting until the DIC reads "LOW FUEL" and then only put in 5 gallons for the next couple times. That will assure that no fuel goes in the passenger side tank. Assuming you have no fuel smell up to that point, then put in 8 gallons on the next DIC low reading. If you do have a fuel smell then, it's most likely the crossover tube or connectors and you'll only have to deal with it for a couple of gallons until that tank is empty. If you have no fuel smell after adding the 8 gallons, then you might as well fill it all the way, because you probably don't have a problem other than simply overfilling the first time. Just remember to only fill the tank on the slow feed rate and never add any after it shuts itself off.

One other warning. Either use Chevron gas or add a bottle of Techron every 3rd tank. The sending units are very sensitive to fuel that doesn't include Techron. That's most likely the reason the one on your car has been replaced.

OK. So no smell for a week or so. Put in 10 gallons and smell is back so it would seem that there is some sort of problem with crossover tube. Is this a DIY?

It is a real pain in ass, but it can be done as Nick said. Have patience and be prepared to work in the blind.

i had a similar problem with a customers car, i could smell it bout couldnt find the leak. evap held pressure with no smoke leaks visible. i realized the smell was strongest when the engine was running, i jumped the fuel pump relay and still couldnt find the leak. eventualy i droped the tanks starting with the left and bingo, the pressure line was leaking right on the pump. this is a common problem on cobalts and malibus but this is the first vette ive seen with this particular defect. its been out of the shop now for a week now and so far so good, its not driven very much though so if there was another problem i probably wouldnt hear about it for another month

oh and i wouldnt recomend the cross pipe removal without a lift. even then its a real pain unless you drop the transmission/diff/rear susp/torque tube assy

i had a similar problem with a customers car, i could smell it bout couldnt find the leak. evap held pressure with no smoke leaks visible. i realized the smell was strongest when the engine was running, i jumped the fuel pump relay and still couldnt find the leak. eventualy i droped the tanks starting with the left and bingo, the pressure line was leaking right on the pump. this is a common problem on cobalts and malibus but this is the first vette ive seen with this particular defect. its been out of the shop now for a week now and so far so good, its not driven very much though so if there was another problem i probably wouldnt hear about it for another month

May be similar in that there is gas smell, but mine is when it is parked. Although with the window down today, I did notice a strong smell for few moments on a left turn I don't know what tot think anymore. Now I smell it in every vehicle. Don't know what' real or my imagination.

Read the big board on this but not real sure what I'm supposed to replace/fix? So it appears since smell is only there when tank is over half full, the crossover tube is the culprit. But what is the problem? Do I need to replace it? Re-seat it? I still don't know. How can it have a bad connection? Wouldn't gas be pouring out it when it's pumping from driver to pass tank?

Looks like I might be headed to Joe @CPR. Wouldn't object but I just don't have the time to drive out to far east and leave my car for a few days not to mention that I'd need my wife to follow me to drop off and eventual pick up. She's busier than me (or so she says)! Frickin' holidays put too much demand on my time.

No gas wouldn't spill as it pumps because there are two little lines on the inside for that. There are two big orings that seal it to the top of the tanks. GM sells a oring seal kit. One big green and one big yellow one per side.

• 8 months later...
Redhotvettte

Hey everyone, looks like I have the same issue with the raw gas smell on my 08 C-6...I will follow some of the suggestions that you all made on previous posts. I think I can eliminate the gas cap, at least for now as the the problem. I currently have about 3/4 tank of gas so I will be watching it after it gets under a half tank, no codes and for now I don't see anything leaking, but I still need to get under and look at the gas tanks. I am having a brain freeze right now so who is Joe @ CPR? Corvette Performance? contact info appreciated. Will keep you all informed and any other suggestions helpful...Thx, Ray

Sorry,

Just saw this post.

My 08 had the EXACT problem. Had if fixed under warranty.

They had to drop the fuel tanks, The problem was a leak at the fuel pump module on the drivers side.

I just spoke to my service advisor at Freeway Chevrolet , Chris Esquer

He said it is a very common problem with leaks in the fuel tanks due to the heat in Phoenix.

Said he has fixed 2 this week alone.

PM me if you want to discuss in detail.

Rob

Redhotvettte

Update on the fuel smell; First, thanks to the suggestions and thank you Rob for putting me in contact with Freeway Chevrolet in Chandler. A little bit of a drive from the north valley but worth it. long story short I had a crack in the fuel tank behind on the drivers side. Since I was just out of warranty the Assistant Service Mgr, Chris Esquer contacted GM and we agreed on a 60/40 split on the cost. I paid the 40 ($800.00). I had a crack around the filler tube at the tank and the fuel pump ( apparently leaking around the outside). Since they had to remove the fuel tank they replaced the fuel line between both tanks. Still expensive but it could have been a lot more if Chris didn't go the extra mile to help out. He said that he had to repair 2 other C-6's last week for the same issues. If you have some of the same problems give Chris a call at 480-735-0338........

It is a shame this is not a recall item due to the fuel system integrity issues.

Rob

Due to the potential consequence I've always been stunned about this as well. Of course until some entity steps in and makes them do a recall or there is enough loss of property or life they'll never to a voluntary recall. Pretty bs in my book

Mentally logged for future reference...when the day arrives that I decide to upgrade.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
insatiableOne

forgot to add:

Had my pump leak warrantied  on 4/11/2017   At Watson Chevrolet. 

Was ok service, nothing spectacular. Had to sand out some new scuff marks from the rocker panel trim.  

Fuel smell is gone though! and doesn't get wasted in spill. 

On a side note, transmission was doing some goofy shifts here and there. Just 31k 

Had them do a transmission service. The occasional weird shifts, delayed shift went away.  The bill was $197.12 total. 

IMG_0197.JPG

• 3 years later...
stevegross00

C6 Owners, I know that I am replying to an old Post but I just ran into this very same problem and Chevrolet has Special Coverage Adjustment for this problem now. It is 15682 Primary Tank Module Flange Fuel and Vapor Leaks. You can see it here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10130551-9999.pdf
My Chevy dealer is fixing my 2011 Corvette GS at no charge. Luckily it happened before the expiration time.
Hope this info may help someone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I just got an '08. Noticed the gas smell after filling up the tank (like many other people here). The GM coverage doesn't apply to me because it's an '08, so it's beyond the 10 year limit. I took it in to a dealership in Tucson. They replaced both fuel pumps, and now more than $3500 later, the smell remains. I am extremely disappointed with this dealership, because this is apparently a VERY common problem and these guys just gave up trying to fix it (after they got paid handsomely, of course). I am also angry GM in general, since this is a manufacturing defect that has affected a huge percentage of C6 owners. If the parts and design are defective, there should be no coverage limit to the age of the vehicle (and mine only has 27,000 miles on it, by the way).

I've seen a few Phoenix area shops mentioned on this thread. Does anyone have any suggestions for Tucson area shops that are competent and honest?

Also, does anyone have any tips for me on possibly getting GM (or the dealership) to cover at least part of this expense?

Thank you in advance.

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, stevegross00 said:

C6 Owners, I know that I am replying to an old Post but I just ran into this very same problem and Chevrolet has Special Coverage Adjustment for this problem now. It is 15682 Primary Tank Module Flange Fuel and Vapor Leaks. You can see it here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10130551-9999.pdf
My Chevy dealer is fixing my 2011 Corvette GS at no charge. Luckily it happened before the expiration time.
Hope this info may help someone.

Thank you Steve.  Just bought a 2011 with this issue (which the dealer DID NOT disclose ... nor that there were any "Special Coverage Adjustments" on the car at all.  I'm not certain my exact problem yet as I've only added fuel one time so far but it feels so far like the "smell if over 1/2 tank" variety.  Anyway thank you for updating such and old thread with information that my help me try and resolve this and possibly not have to pay for all of it out of pocket.

Greg

On 10/29/2021 at 5:47 PM, mahdaeng said:

I just got an '08. Noticed the gas smell after filling up the tank (like many other people here). The GM coverage doesn't apply to me because it's an '08, so it's beyond the 10 year limit. I took it in to a dealership in Tucson. They replaced both fuel pumps, and now more than $3500 later, the smell remains. I am extremely disappointed with this dealership, because this is apparently a VERY common problem and these guys just gave up trying to fix it (after they got paid handsomely, of course). I am also angry GM in general, since this is a manufacturing defect that has affected a huge percentage of C6 owners. If the parts and design are defective, there should be no coverage limit to the age of the vehicle (and mine only has 27,000 miles on it, by the way).

I've seen a few Phoenix area shops mentioned on this thread. Does anyone have any suggestions for Tucson area shops that are competent and honest?

Also, does anyone have any tips for me on possibly getting GM (or the dealership) to cover at least part of this expense?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mahdaeng,

I'm in what feels like the same boat as you just a few years later.  I'd be interested in if you have any further update as to the final resolution to your issue.  I called GM about this (of course I'm almost 3 years past the 10 year limit on the "special adjustment".  The low level (I'm sure) customer service person told me I may get GM to pay for part of the repair even past the 10 year limit (perhaps because the PREVIOUS owner should have had this done years ago ... unless I'm just unlucky enough to have the problem start past the arbitrary 10 year limit.  However, according to this person on the phone I have to do this:

Have a Chevy dealer do the diagnostic (about $200 out of pocket)

See if the problem fell within the problems covered by the "special adjustment"

Pay out of pocket for the entire repair.

Submit a request to GM to kindly pick up at least some of the cost.

So at the moment I'm going to burn the fuel down to under 1/2 taking note of the smell intensity (I only really smell it after it's parked in the garage)

On tank of gas #1 (for me) the smell magically went away somewhere around 1/2 tank.

Near empty added a few gallons no change.

Smell returned when filled to about 90% fuel capacity.

Thanks,

Greg

@GregS: Sorry, but I don't have any great insight to impart. I wish I did. After the expensive repairs I mentioned above, I made sure I never filled the tank(s) completely. The smell remained for quite some time, but gradually lessened. My guess is that the EVAP canister eventually cleared out from being saturated. It seems fine now, as far as that's concerned. Still, this is a problem that simply should not exist.

Regarding the secondary point, I never did find a good shop in the Tucson area.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:12 PM, mahdaeng said:

@GregS: Sorry, but I don't have any great insight to impart. I wish I did. After the expensive repairs I mentioned above, I made sure I never filled the tank(s) completely. The smell remained for quite some time, but gradually lessened. My guess is that the EVAP canister eventually cleared out from being saturated. It seems fine now, as far as that's concerned. Still, this is a problem that simply should not exist.

Regarding the secondary point, I never did find a good shop in the Tucson area.

Wow .. was not really expecting to get a reply to such and old thread so THANKS!

You wrote: "Does anyone have any tips for me on possibly getting GM (or the dealership) to cover at least part of this expense?"

From what I've learned it's almost ALL on the Dealer who has done the repair work to properly fill out the paperwork required and submit to GM.  I'm probably not done digging in this directly as it's possible that GM will cover *some* of the costs even though I'm pas the 10 year limit.  I will update you if I learn more relevant info but if I'm you I'm on whoever you paid to do all the work that DIDN'T fix the problem to at the very least lean on GM to help out.  However, as I understand it, they may gain nothing as you already paid.  Not sure they benefit if GM offers assistance dollars.  As I understand it even if I'm WITHIN the time/mileage limit I'm paying out of pocket for everything (leaving the service department financially whole and totally unmotivated to even file the SWA with GM).  If GM deems my repair "covered" then at some future point they would send something my way.  A system totally NOT designed with customer first to say the least.

I'm sure just like insurance adjusters there is an art to dealing with them and moving the odds of getting a good outcome.  Likely they won't let YOU have any involvement.  I personally am going to call the Chevy number again.  They asked me if I wanted to open a "case".  I'm thinking having multiple calls/complaints tracked there (and available via VIN lookup if there computer systems are decent enough at sharing information) will help if the "GM Adjuster" bothers to look.  They two GM reps I talked to ware both work from me phone answer types who probably don't have a ton of training.  I'm going to see if I can get a call back from someone higher up the food chain and if I'm lucky someone what might be an "Adjuster" or just concerned about how GM can put some polish back on "Corvette Owner" after this stain.  So far not the type of customer service experience one would expect from a flagship car.  Of course that probably would be different had I paid nearly 100k for a new model.  But owning and older one is the gateway to doing just that down the road finances allowing ... but so far the experience is making me want to consider other makes/models better known for quality and service ... despite a higher price tag and likely even higher maintenance costs.  Higher cost less issues less often is not nothing.  Thing would feel allot differently if they had said "you should not have a strong smell like that bring it in and we'll fix it at a reasonable cost to you".  Also reading about the numerous issues just on this forum alone is somewhat concerning.  And the fact that this was a known problem for a number of years and it STILL took GM until Apr 2017 to even issue the Warranty Adjustment.  I've seen allot of posts about this on this and other forums that mostly date to '11 '12 '13 and '14.  I'm sure if they got their problem rectified at a dealer and had a cracked tank/fitting/crossover issue they paid full price for the fix.  I bet GM didn't notify them of the SWA.  I wonder if they could apply years after the fix and get it covered ...

I also agree that having a time limit on this is getting around what should be a recall and is GM trying to save money to fix what was several design engineering flaws.  As far as I've been able to figure out even if I buy a new tank or pump it will still have the same engineering defect and may well crack again due to aging.  And it ALREADY might have been manufactured years ago and has been aging on the shelf!!! 

I've since learned that I believe the C5 had the fuel pump at the bottom of the tank and you could access it without removing the exhaust AND transmission so you could "drop" the tank.  Small design change huge serviceability loss.

FYI I've since found that I have what appears to be very well known good repair shop very close to me.  Went to them a few days ago to check out the shop and get some advice about a fix for my issue.

Lyle at C & S Corvettes in Sarasota, FL

One of the videos details ALLOT about this fuel smell issue ... but you are right there are several possible main causes and most are not testable without dropping the tank and at THAT point you're something like 5-6 shop hours into the "diagnosis" and 1/2 way to the repair (if they are smart enough to have the right parts/seals/o-rings etc on hand to fix any of the handful of causes).

While I was there Lyle said they recommend people to a I believe near St. Louis but they also get cars shipped to Sarasota from all over.  I would just give them a call and talk to any of them there and see if they can point you to a shop near you.  At least you have an option 2 hours or so away. At the moment though they are backlogged 4 months so they can't help me ATM.  But they also agreed that I should be going back at the dealer who sold it and didn't tell me ANYTHING about the Special Warranty Adjustment ... which of course I would have looked into, found that filling the car might kick off the symptoms, filled it, smelled it ... may not have purchased or certainly would have had discussions about fixing it and who paid what.  I feel lucky to have them so close but the $200/hr rate is going to hurt.  I also have a Classics dealer/broker nearby that has at least 6 repair bays and lots of Corvettes from 60's to present.

Also bought this: while there ... reviews/research is so positive.  Have not installed yet dealing with all these fuel issues but will let you know what I think if you might be interested.  I think they are a $35 or so cheaper than the manufacturer is selling on amazon at the mfg storefront.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=c+%26+s+corvettes

https://www.corvettepartscenter.com/collections/mods/products/soler-performance-electronic-throttle-controller-2006-2013-corvette

I got a code reader but not codes.  Still waiting to hear back from the selling dealer service guy (they are I'm sure fighting with Sales to determine if they do anything in my favor who's internal budget is going to suffer.  However the Service Rep seemed to know that lots of C6's have these fuel smell issues and they have fixed them before at there shop.  So at least they are not starting at denial ...

So currently you don't get the fumes but you never go past 1/2 a tank (meaning your passenger side tank remains empty) ?

Eventually the smell went away after quite some time (months?)

You suspect it was the EVAP cannister (but that was not serviced/replaced when you had the giant service done)?

Thanks!!!

Greg

In summary, the smell seemed to come and go for about a month or so. I was careful to not fill the tanks to 100% during that time. Then, after it seemed the smell was gone, I would fill up a little bit more every time until I was able to fill it completely with no apparent issue.

If I remember correctly, they actually did replace the canister, so my hypothesis above may not be accurate. In fact, I'm really not sure what was causing the smell after the repair. Maybe some residual fuel on top of the tank? I don't know. Either way, the repair seems to have fixed the problem, but it took a while to see the effects. At this point, my main gripe is about the poor customer service at that location, the ridiculous price for the repair, and Chevy's unwillingness to pitch in for the repair of a defect that they were responsible for. I had no luck at all in getting them to help out, but maybe you will.

By the way, that throttle controller you posted looks like all sorts of fun!