K and N Oil Filters are now made in Mexico

ChadC

well crap

I have used K and N for 10+ years because of the quality. They always went above OEM needs for a filter.

Steel base, nice spring for High flow Oil bypass, nice filter medium, and a good quality build.

..not any more.

USA MADE steel base

Posted Image

Mexico stamped metal. less strength for pressure (suspect that is why there are more holes)

Posted Image

the cage is different

USA

Posted Image

MEXICO

Posted Image

yep made in MEXICO

Posted Image

not my filter but from the Interwebs

Posted Image

Posted Image

The new anti drain back valve is easy to press and open, but has relatively small passages for oil flow. :-(

Posted Image

its on the car now, but i Will no longer be buying K and N products any more.

bummer...

Wow that's all I use on all my vehicles!! So what the best one now!! Let me know which on I should buy now!!

Hastings makes a really nice filter, but they are tough to find.....Wix is good too, just not as.

Hastings makes a really nice filter, but they are tough to find.....Wix is good too, just not as.

Really? I thought Hastings only did heavy equipment, ag, & OTR? Nice to know, wonder who to sources them through?

ok before we go on a tangent.....

here is a private study done on 31 filters back in 2011

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

its result?

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/30-1218.html

Royal Purple oil filter.

Premium featuers:

Anti-drainback Valve - Silicone

End Cap Construction - Steel

Filtering Media Material - Synthetic

and the ACTUAL performance of the filtration was awesome!!

CLick on this link, to see a labatory grade 30pm result of what contanimants was allowed to pas through.

the cleaner the paper, the better the filtration.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/comparison.html

Best Royal Purpal

Second best Amasoil

K and N (usa made) was 4th from the top. not bad

Worst: FULL Quality Parts

Really? I thought Hastings only did heavy equipment, ag, & OTR? Nice to know, wonder who to sources them through?

I used to sell them at my last employer, but as far as I know we were teh only game in town, and they went belly-up.

Ive used wix allot, thought they were good...... If we all start using royal purple filters does that mean sidewinder will be posting again here?

Ive used wix allot, thought they were good...... If we all start using royal purple filters does that mean sidewinder will be posting again here?

#fuknobridgeburnedtothefnground

Whats really weird is the Fram Xtended Guard is #3 and the Cheaper Purolator is #6 where as the better Purolator is much further down. Mobile 1 looks like #4 not #3 am I reading the results here incorrectly?

There is no Mobile 1, but I edited my post to read Mobil 1 is #4 and fix my mistake.

Whats really weird is the Fram Xtended Guard is #3 and the Cheaper Purolator is #6 where as the better Purolator is much further down. Mobile 1 looks like #4 not #3 am I reading the results here incorrectly?

There is no Mobile 1, but I edited my post to read Mobil 1 is #4 and fix my mistake.

I fixed mine to so nah nah :bannana4:

• 2 weeks later...

I cringed when I read this thread ! I have always used K&N oil filters and I use their washable air filter. I had ordered a oil filter about 2 months ago off ebay. K&N 2002HP for $11.28 delivered to my door off ebay. I remembered finally that I had read this thread and went out into the garage and found the filter on a shelf. Made in the U.S.A. I ordered another one just a minute ago to see if it turns out to be a made in Mexico filter. God only knows how many of these filters are sitting in a warehouse for my L98 motor ? Ten's of thousands nationwide gathering dust ? I can't beat the price thats for sure. The next time I am in AutoZone I am gonna go check out the K&N oil filters and see where they are made. P.S. the last time I was in AutoZone I bought a 5qt jug of Castrol 20W-50 oil for $28. Then I went to Walmart later that day and found it for $18. Good thing I saved my receipt. The guy said to me at the check out when I returned it I could have told you it was cheaper at Walmart. But it's not their policy to point that out !

What I find really amusing about that list is teh different grades they give Wix and teh Napa filter, which are one and teh same... :lolfail:

So they changed the design, I don't see any data showing the mexico filters are worse. For all we know the new design is better than before.

So they changed the design, I don't see any data showing the mexico filters are worse. For all we know the new design is better than before.

..yes because products once made here in the USA that are now made in Mexico have a long history of outstanding quality

pleease

..yes because products once made here in the USA that are now made in Mexico have a long history of outstanding quality

please

I'm transferring a bunch of products to Mexico right. I guarantee the quality will be just as good or better than when it is made here in Tempe.

I've done a few Mexico transfers and I find that it gives the opportunity to implement improvements that may not have been viable in the US. Without any data on the new filter there is no way to know if it is better or worse.