C7 LT1 question

Ted Y

Ok, I found out yesterday that the new engine will be tunable. Question one: how does the phasing cam work? Is it like the Viper where the intake and exhaust lobes can move relative to one another or does the whole cam advance and retard as a solid unit? Question 2: can a normal cam be swapped in? Question 3: with direct injection, do the injectors only fire during intake stroke? I assume a direct injector is different in design than an intake injector?

Ok, I found out yesterday that the new engine will be tunable. Question one: how does the phasing cam work? Is it like the Viper where the intake and exhaust lobes can move relative to one another or does the whole cam advance and retard as a solid unit? Question 2: can a normal cam be swapped in? Question 3: with direct injection, do the injectors only fire during intake stroke? I assume a direct injector is different in design than an intake injector?

1. The entire cam rotates as a unit 2. No, because the LT1 camshaft has a a special three lobe arrangement at the rear (kind of like where the distributor drive used to be back in the old days) to mechanically actuate the high pressure fuel pump 3. The fuel will be injected during the compression stroke to ensure a better cooling effect (allows for increased compression) and a more homogeneous mixture.

I would assume at the very beginning of the compression stroke...right? If not, it seems the upward stroke of the cylinder would prevent good atomization of the fuel for optimum combustion. Or am I just stoopid?

I hate to say it depends, but it does. The compression stroke creates a lot of turbulence in the cylinder, by having fuel in there, it is better mixed and allows the fuel time to extract heat. But injection in most instances will be complete during the early part of compression, unless piston speed is very high.

These injectors are also capable of flowing very large amounts of fuel. It will be interesting to watch tuning evolve on these.

You know me, if I believe you are, I have few qualms about sharing my stance regarding your knowledge of the subject matter, :nutkick:

My guess is most of the mods will be forced induction, there won't be many bolt on parts worth the HP improvement or cost to install ...

1. The entire cam rotates as a unit 2. No, because the LT1 camshaft has a a special three lobe arrangement at the rear (kind of like where the distributor drive used to be back in the old days) to mechanically actuate the high pressure fuel pump 3. The fuel will be injected during the compression stroke to ensure a better cooling effect (allows for increased compression) and a more homogeneous mixture.

no homogeneous?

I hate to say it depends, but it does. The compression stroke creates a lot of turbulence in the cylinder, by having fuel in there, it is better mixed and allows the fuel time to extract heat. But injection in most instances will be complete during the early part of compression, unless piston speed is very high. These injectors are also capable of flowing very large amounts of fuel. It will be interesting to watch tuning evolve on these.

So the intake stoke has no function anymore? Is there no more intake valves because of the DI?

Nope it still has intake valves.

And intake certainly still has a function, or we would not be able to get all of that air into the cylinder; fuel injection in this engine just sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder, when the intake valve is closed.

Nope it still has intake valves. And intake certainly still has a function, or we would not be able to get all of that air into the cylinder; fuel injection in this engine just sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder, when the intake valve is closed.

Yeah that's what I thought of right after I posted. thanks.

Cams for gen V motors are already being ground. The l99 camaro and other GMs have the cam phasing. You can eliminate it if you want by swapping a normal cam gear on it. There are companies that make VVT cams or it can be eliminated. Who knows yet how the tune/etc will be effected if you got rid of it. I would keep it if possible. Vengeance and LPE are already cam testing on engine dynos a bunch of different grinds.

Available lobe designs will be limited, unless the AFM is tuned out and the 8 "Mr. Springy" lifters are replaced.

I am sure it won't take the aftermarket too long to generate solutions allowing for lifter and cam gear replacement, if the owner so chooses.

The engine will be RPM limited and unable to take advantage of aggressive camshaft profiles without a lifter change on the AFM cylinder's cam lobes.

I think Dwayne may be right, most folks will likely choose to bolt power on, versus going internal to the engine. At least in the short term.

I think Dwayne may be right, .

Printed ... Framed ... Hung on the wall !!!! :bannana4:

Using the word "may", gives him an out. :thups: