Alky Control methanol kit install at CPR

Jon

Alky Control meth kit going on today. I am doing a single 15gph nozzle.

Posted Image

Pump gets mounted to the frame rail.

Posted Image

You drill a hole in the bottom of the washer tank and it uses a push in barb fitting for a leak tight seal.

Posted Image

LED goes green when meth is spraying.

Posted Image

IAT now in the front of the manifold.

Posted Image

VetteSthetics

Did I hear LED...... :) Awesome cant wait to see it. Will you have it at the Pavilions this weekend?

Actually LED goes red when it starts to spray and turns green when it is at full pressure.

We tested it with the nozzle off, straight out the hose end. It went green instantly. No red at all.

What a clean kit and install. Won't be noticeable once it's buttoned up.

It's a real nice kit with all weatherpack connectors and stainless braided lines. Corvettes get kind of lucky having that space to mount the pump.

Without something pushing against it going green right away is probably normal. It should go red before it goes green once the car is up and running. If it goes green right away then the settings on the control box probably need to be adjusted.

When I push the red test button the light goes red. When I'm running down the street And start to Accelerate, it turns red and as I accelerate further it turns green I do agree that a green Light indicates full spray and red is indicating that the system is operating and spring. SLAMMER

WELCOME TO THE CLUB METH HEAD!! Have you got a dealer lined up? Be careful and store in a tightly sealed container out of the heat/cold temps. You want to avoid temperature swings that cause Condensation meth loves Collecting water. A good dealer/source is important so that you don't end up rusting out your pump. Stay away from large tanker truck supplies of methanol. SLAMMER

I'm going to go grab some from Speedway Race Fuels tomorrow. I have a boost leak or the belt slipped. Only saw 10.5psi instead of 12.5psi like before. Clutch seemed like it may have slipped a little. IAT was 70F with meth spraying. Still did 704rwhp and 580rwtq.

Even 12.5psi seems low for a t-trim at full tilt. Could the BOV be leaking? A&A kits are known for that which is why a lot of people upgrade to the tial bovs or other ones to hold the higher boost levels.

Jon give us your impressions of Speedway. I have been there a number of times and have formed an option. It's not what I envisioned a race fuel shop to look like. I have visited a small number of places both in AZ and CA from which I draw from. SLAMMER

Even 12.5psi seems low for a t-trim at full tilt. Could the BOV be leaking? A&A kits are known for that which is why a lot of people upgrade to the tial bovs or other ones to hold the higher boost levels.

he has a different bov now, a turbo smart.

Jon give us your impressions of Speedway. I have been there a number of times and have formed an option. It's not what I envisioned a race fuel shop to look like. I have visited a small number of places both in AZ and CA from which I draw from. SLAMMER

Wow. Nothing like going to a junk yard for race fuel, lol. I'll try Western States Petroleum next. http://www.westernstatespetroleum.com/

he has a different bov now, a turbo smart.

He was saying the Turbosmart BOV's were known to leak as well. I don't see it as mine is brand new. I also saw 11.7psi on my logged 3rd gear pulls this morning. Which makes me think I need to tighten the belt.

I was about to turn around. I couldn't believe that place. I'll bring a 5 gallon can to Western States. I heard they sell 5 gallons for $10. No less than 5 gallons though.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but...

I'm about to add meth. How do you guys store it? I don't think I like the idea of a 5g pail sitting in my garage. What about handling? Rubber gloves, goggles, mask? I just read the MSDS, nasty stuff.

Actually LED goes red when it starts to spray and turns green when it is at full pressure.

It's red then yellow then green!

SLAMMER

I know this is an old thread, but...

I'm about to add meth. How do you guys store it? I don't think I like the idea of a 5g pail sitting in my garage. What about handling? Rubber gloves, goggles, mask? I just read the MSDS, nasty stuff.

Nasty stuff???

Who told you that? That's my go to stuff when I run out of Ever-Clear.

I don't wear gloves or eye protection.

I've had it on my hands and it just feels cold. I have a 15 gallon drum in Calif. I put it into a 2 gallon gas can as this is easier to pour into my window washer bottle. Here in AZ. I use a 5 gallon race fuel bottle. I set it on the valve cover and kink the hose. Then insert into wiper bottle and open the vent to fill washer bottle.

This stuff seems less flammable than gasoline.

I even put it in my passenger floor while driving to and from the track. I now trailer the car and store it in the bed of my truck.

SLAMMER

So is the MSDS on this stuff full of it?

"The substance is toxic to eyes. The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, brain, peripheral nervous system, upper respiratory tract, skin, central nervous system (CNS), optic nerve. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure to a highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in one or many human organs."

"Inhalation: Causes mild central nervous system (CNS) depression with nausea, headache, vomiting, dizziness, incoordination and an appearance of drunkenness. Metabolic acidosis and severe visual effects can occur following an 8-24 hour latent period. Coma and death, usually due to respiratory failure, may occur if medical treatment is not received. Visual effects may include reduced reactivity and/or increased sensitivity to light, blurred, double and/or snowy vision, and blindness.

Eye Contact: Moderate eye irritant.

Skin Contact: In general, primary alcohols such as methanol are not considered to be irritant to the skin. Repeated or prolonged exposure to methanol may cause dry, itchy, scaling skin (dermatitis).

Skin Absorption: Can be absorbed through the skin and cause harmful effects as described in Inhalation above."

"DELAYED EFFECTS: Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause damage to the liver and central nervous system. This product may cause adverse reproductive effects. Methyl alcohol can produce damage to the optic nerve and central and motor nerves."

So is the MSDS on this stuff full of it?

"The substance is toxic to eyes. The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, brain, peripheral nervous system, upper respiratory tract, skin, central nervous system (CNS), optic nerve. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure to a highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in one or many human organs."

"Inhalation: Causes mild central nervous system (CNS) depression with nausea, headache, vomiting, dizziness, incoordination and an appearance of drunkenness. Metabolic acidosis and severe visual effects can occur following an 8-24 hour latent period. Coma and death, usually due to respiratory failure, may occur if medical treatment is not received. Visual effects may include reduced reactivity and/or increased sensitivity to light, blurred, double and/or snowy vision, and blindness.

Eye Contact: Moderate eye irritant.

Skin Contact: In general, primary alcohols such as methanol are not considered to be irritant to the skin. Repeated or prolonged exposure to methanol may cause dry, itchy, scaling skin (dermatitis).

Skin Absorption: Can be absorbed through the skin and cause harmful effects as described in Inhalation above."

"DELAYED EFFECTS: Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause damage to the liver and central nervous system. This product may cause adverse reproductive effects. Methyl alcohol can produce damage to the optic nerve and central and motor nerves."

I have not had ant of these sysptoms. I've been using meth in my car for 5 years now. Probably well over 60 gallons. I'm sure the DISCLOSER is for limiting lieability exposer. Words like REPETED & PROLONGED exposers should be a clue.

Put a penny in a glass of COKE and see what that stuff does. AND WE DRINK THAT STUFF!

My take is handle like gasoline and you'll be just fine..........

SLAMMER

It's moonshine you can't drink. Don't sweat it too hard. Less volitile than gasoline. Don't get me wrong, introduce spark it'll flash & blow but (as are most safety data sheets) it's the worst case health scenario as far as exposure. If you read the safety data sheets for denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol they likely don't read a lot different regarding "prolonged exposure" & you can buy that right off the shelf at a home center or drug store

Yeah, I know msds's are worse case. Maybe I'll just put a towel over my head and huff a couple big lungfulls to build up some immunity ;). Seriously though, I think I'll get some goggles. I'm not playing messing around with my eyes.

What about storage? Ok to keep in plastic container in garage during hottest part of summer?

I ran straight methanol for 10 years in my dirt modified. I went through at least 20 gallons a night. I bought it 2-55 gallon drums at a time. Never had a fire and I don't think I act any weirder than prior to handling it. If it does ignite, you cannot see the flame.

Speedway was THE place for alcohol. Manzanita was just down the street. I, personally have never been to speedway, they always delivered my fuel.The fuel quality depends on how it is stored and how quickly the distributor sells their stock.

I never had an issue with rust, but the stuff will eat/ corrode unprotected aluminum

Speedway supplies the fuel for the Loves station by Firebird. Anthony, the counter guy and Phil, the owner, are racers. Anthony is bad ass fast.