Daddy will I Dream?.. Yes Roxxane, you will

ChadC

thanks for the pictures Unreal. that helps give me a gauge.

using the power of Google, I found a good suggestion for cleaning carbon of piston heads while inside the block.

use a towel, or blue shop towel (does not leave lint n stuff)

put into piston hole and then soak with Seafoam for 30 min.

Then scrape off using a scotch bright pad or similar.

Seafoam is good because with will not damage aluminium bits and it can be used as an oil additive AND a fuel additive.

so whatever seeps into the oil pan will be harmless.

Just change the oil soon after because what seeps past will have a high content of carbon...

Oil should be changed anyways I would assume. I would just run a quart or two of cheap $2 oil through it to "flush" it out with the drain plugs open before filling it up with the good stuff.

Running a catchcan?

meh I use rotellaT full synth. its 'cheap' enough to blow a couple of quarts to "flush" just like you said. Im detailed enough not to mix oils or weights when doing this.

yes its over kill, I know.

no catch can... yet. its on my to do list.

I've had elite, and have a RX can on now. When I get to it I'm just swapping to dual AGP cans. Best setup I've seen IMO.

I would keep an eye out for a used BAP or just order the ECS plug and play one and throw it on now. Too much fuel capacity is never a bad thing.

I've had elite, and have a RX can on now. When I get to it I'm just swapping to dual AGP cans. Best setup I've seen IMO.

I would keep an eye out for a used BAP or just order the ECS plug and play one and throw it on now. Too much fuel capacity is never a bad thing.

I picked up a BAP new never used 1.5 years ago for like $150.

been sitting on that baby for a while.

I hear ya. I want to drive it for 2 weeks first before is start tweaking too much. K.I.S.S.

I could wipe the minor amount of crap off my pistons with a rag at 71K miles and I had no catch can. Your's is probably is a direct relationship to the fuel used and the weight of the right foot of the previous owner on his way to car shows.

use a towel, or blue shop towel (does not leave lint n stuff)

put into piston hole and then soak with Seafoam for 30 min.

Then scrape off using a scotch bright pad or similar.

I would use the red ones they are not as abrasive as the green ones. Available at an auto paint store.

Best of luck with the build Chad. :thumbs

it's so cool that you jump in on these kinds of projects yourself in your garage ... for you knowing exactly how it all goes back together and the gains from your hard work realized .... gotta be good for the soul ......

Looks like you've got a handle on the clean up issue ... will be anxious to hear about the results ..... doing just the top end is always challenging...

keep the updates coming .... your pix are awesome !!!

no gory pictures :-( tonight.

Installed passenger head and BEFORE I torqued/stretched the head bolts I saw that I installed the Head gasket backwards.

..grrr take everything back off, clean and try again in the morning.

pistons clean, radiator out. slow and steady is the motto for tonight.

I thought you were sending the heads out?

nope I found a SS set from a shop in CA. i was lucky to have them overnight ed to me.

....you said passenger head

Get your mind out of the gutter!

No. . .wait. . .if it weren't for the gutter, your mind would have no place to call home! :smilelol:bolt: