1988 700R4 shift kit B&M 70239

C4in mesa

A quick review, 202 Transmissions rebuilt the tranny for $750 cash and I was very happy. 2 months later the engine block cracked it sat for 8.5 months. I had to come up with $7,000 and get it rebuilt. Not easy to say the least. My mechanic and friend Greg took the engine out and put it back in for me. He swore NEVER again. Getting in with the long tube headers was very difficult to say the least. Anyway all is done and I am driving it again no issues. I take it to Payson and Pinetop and notice smoke coming from underneath the car. I get under the car and see my cats smoking. My first thought was a tuning issue ? Well upon closer examination it turns out my tranny was leaking. I did put fluid in it before the drive up there but didn't think much about it because I had not driven the car very far up until that point. So I was running low about a quart. A very slow leak looking back now. I called 202 Transmissions and told him what was up. he said bring it in and let me see it up on a lift. The leak was not coming from the pan. He tells me it has to come off the car and back on his bench. Sadly sitting for 8.5 months void my warranty. He said he would work with me and told me $200 to pull it and re-seal it. Fair enough. I want to know where and why it is leaking ? He said it could be because it was not put back on properly. I told him the torque convertor was never touched or moved around. It remained level the whole time it sat. Anyway I decided to install a B&M 70239 shift kit to improve shifts and prolong the life of the transmission. Summit Tech said it won't do a thing if all I use is the stage 1. Wow ! We shall see I guess ? Darrell told me $100 to install it. So it is gonna cost me $340 total. I found the kit on Amazon for $40 delivered. Does anyone have any experience with this kit ?

No experience with the kit, but I did have tranny fluid blow out the overflow, once...

ahem, (Smitty)...

happened to start smoking on a trip to the Pavillions one night and it turned out to be the gasket around the dipstick tube. I think they may have slightly overfilled it, which is when it burped going over Pacheco Pass on the way to San Deigo. I still have the same transmission in the car, which has apprx. 197K miles now, but has not done it since then - and that was at 71K miles.

Bromley's Corvettes

Tranz go makes the best shit kits. 700R4s are picky about line presser and T.V cable adjustment. Are you shore the cable is adjusted right because if not it will shift real soft. If you put more pull on the cable it will stay in gear longer and shit harder and faster into the next gear. Also help to keep clutches from slipping. I have had customers install there own tranny and not no how to adjust the cable and burn out the tranny the first time they drive it. Also sounds like the front pump seal is going bad probably where your leak is coming from.

After work today I'm dropping off the car to 202 Transmissions. I'm having it removed and inspected and the leak fixed. I'm also having the B&M 70239 stage 1 shift kit installed.

For anyone who owns a 700R4 I highly recommend a stage 1 shift kit. Immediate response. Car now wags off the line. It would always tear the tires lose but its response is better than before. Turns out after putting it up on the lift while running the main pump seal was leaking. Out the transmission went and on the bench. The metal spring holding it in place was knocked lose. My poor mechanic struggled so bad getting that motor in the engine bay with the long tube headers. He fought for 2 hours getting it bolted on to the tranny. The only way that torque converter was bumped was by him installing the engine. So just be careful and mind the pump seal. The consequence is having to later pull the tranny and replace the pump seal. Darrell at 202 Transmissions is awesome and very honest as well as fair. Highly recommend his business.