C5/ac

GRANDDAD

A friend's C5 blows hot on driver's side and cold on passenger's side. It has duel controls for air conditioner. Any suggestions how to fix this or what the problem might be.

Jay

Guest Sidewinder
A friend's C5 blows hot on driver's side and cold on passenger's side. It has duel controls for air conditioner. Any suggestions how to fix this or what the problem might be.

Jay

Check the HVAC codes. Probably LH (Drivers side) actuator. Search Corvetteforum for good direction on a fix.

It is more than likely just low on freon. I had the same problem. Read lots of post on this. Even went as far as taking the (Drivers side) actuator out to check it out nothing wrong with it. Damper moved free, and so on. Finally deceided that the evap was not cooling all the way across. So got you my gages and took a look. Sure enough low on charge. That is what I was thinking the problem was all long, but got reading some post on this and got sucked up in what they were saying. Added freon and all is fine now.

I just fixed mine...stand by a bit for pics....

OK, don't know if this will help your problem, but here is what I had.

When I fisrt got the car, whenever I would accelerate, my air would cut down, not off, but would definitely not blow as hard for a few moments. Then about 2 weeks ago it started blowing from all three zones at the same time and would not change from external air to recirculated air.

I found two breaks in the vacuum line that goes to a control module under the passenger side dash. Both breaks were in the engine bay area under/behind the battery. Plus I had a broken check valve behind the PCM as well.

Click Link to see what I had to do. Hope this might lead you in the right direction. Once there, click on "AC Repair."

Guest Sidewinder

When I fisrt got the car, whenever I would accelerate, my air would cut down, not off, but would definitely not blow as hard for a few moments. Then about 2 weeks ago it started blowing from all three zones at the same time and would not change from external air to recirculated air.

I found two breaks in the vacuum line that goes to a control module under the passenger side dash. Both breaks were in the engine bay area under/behind the battery. Plus I had a broken check valve behind the PCM as well.

Click Link to see what I had to do. Hope this might lead you in the right direction. Once there, click on "AC Repair."

Totally different problem....

Nort,

When you put freon in your car did you have any HVAC codes?

Jay

If it is cold on one side and hot on another side it's not a freon issue. low freon would cause warm temps all the way around.

It does sound like an acctuator is not closing off the hot air from the heater core. Check for vacuum leaks, broken lines, bad check valves, bad actuators.

I saw the exact same problem on a GM truck. It would always be hot on the passenger side no mater what the dual temp control was set to. The drivers side would react to changes in the climate control. The passenger side actuator was not moving the door to seal off the heater core.

Guest Sidewinder

Jay

If it is cold on one side and hot on another side it's not a freon issue. low freon would cause warm temps all the way around.

It does sound like an acctuator is not closing off the hot air from the heater core. Check for vacuum leaks, broken lines, bad check valves, bad actuators.

I saw the exact same problem on a GM truck. It would always be hot on the passenger side no mater what the dual temp control was set to. The drivers side would react to changes in the climate control. The passenger side actuator was not moving the door to seal off the heater core.

Not always true, some people have solved this problem with adding freon. I did alot of research on this. I think if you have HVAC codes it's not a freon issue though. We will see.

Nort,

When you put freon in your car did you have any HVAC codes?

No codes.....

and you can have a evap that does not cool all the way across, because of low freon. This was my bread and butter for many a year in my younger days.

Nice repair work on the hoses!

you are definatly and aircraft Mech.

I will check the vacuum lines under the battery. This would be on a C5 correct? I assumed that since my 93 Chevy Truck no longer used vacuum lines that my 2000 Vette would also be electric. Previous vehicals I have owed did do exactly this if a vacuum line broke. Thanks for giving me a starting point to look in. I will also check the freon level and let you all know what I find out. Oh, no codes by the way. The only other problem is a senser in the front wheel bearing that is giving me a check traction control problem. New bearing was installed by C.Chevrolet over a year ago but less than 10,000 miles---They will not warrenty but are willing to fix it for 500 dollars.

I will check the vacuum lines under the battery. This would be on a C5 correct? I assumed that since my 93 Chevy Truck no longer used vacuum lines that my 2000 Vette would also be electric. Previous vehicals I have owed did do exactly this if a vacuum line broke. Thanks for giving me a starting point to look in. I will also check the freon level and let you all know what I find out. Oh, no codes by the way. The only other problem is a senser in the front wheel bearing that is giving me a check traction control problem. New bearing was installed by C.Chevrolet over a year ago but less than 10,000 miles---They will not warrenty but are willing to fix it for 500 dollars.

Yes, my repair work was done on a '99 C5...dunno about switching to electric after that though.

and thanks for the comps Chad.

JDBrockman,

Its me the friend. I have pulled the battery and battery holder and checked as much of the vacuum lines as I can. I will check the freon now. I also read about the check break system alarm and I have cleaned every ground and terminal I can find..... Still have the alarm. If you guys meet somewhere I would like to meet you and we can chat about these finer points of our otherwise perfect cars.

• 3 weeks later...

OK Sean, I pulled it all apart today, and all my lines are good........ :devil

Where do I look next???

OK Sean, I pulled it all apart today, and all my lines are good........ :devil

Where do I look next???

Wow, A/C problems??

Depending on what your problem is, if the lines that I repaired on mine are good. There is also a vaccum line that runs up to the backside of the intake manifold (I never actually checked that one). If that one is bad, you could be in for a lot of work. If it is bad right at the manifold you have to move the manifold forward to work on it.

But that is the vaccum line I would check next, along with the one inside the car under the passenger side dash. Also, did you look at that little checkvalve to make sure it is not cracked/broken?

What exactly is your problem anyway?

If nothing else, you did just get her...you could always make CnV fix her up for you.

Keep me posted. I have the service manuals I can look stuff up for ya too.

I'm getting heat out of the drivers vents. not outside air, but actual heat...

I tried looking for the one on the back of the intake manifold... It might be easier to find if I go in through the trunk... :crazy

If I can't find it tomorrow, it's going to CnV, they said to bring it back if I couldn't find it...

Check valve looks ok... Where's the blend door actuator???

And then going out a midnight with these instructions just might have solved my problem....

Before you go any further, scroll until you get the HVAC using the Trip or Option button. With 99-HVAC highlighted, press and hold clear. You should hear the HVAC doors going through their recalibration. Wait about 15 seconds, and go back through all the codes. If HVAC is now clear, you might want to hold off on going through this document. Chances are though the B0441 and B0361 codes came right back. If so, I would recommend the recalibration of the drivers side actuator.

I'll see how it does tomorrow.... :thumbs

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because recalibrating the actuators looks like one PIA of a job...

Guest Sidewinder
And then going out a midnight with these instructions just might have solved my problem....

Before you go any further, scroll until you get the HVAC using the Trip or Option button. With 99-HVAC highlighted, press and hold clear. You should hear the HVAC doors going through their recalibration. Wait about 15 seconds, and go back through all the codes. If HVAC is now clear, you might want to hold off on going through this document. Chances are though the B0441 and B0361 codes came right back. If so, I would recommend the recalibration of the drivers side actuator.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because recalibrating the actuators looks like one PIA of a job...

Dawg

Been there, done that. I can pull that motor in about 20 mins. Lemme know if you need help :yesnod Clear the codes with the car running and A/C on. When you hit reset does cold air blow for a few seconds? The dual zone motor is on the drivers side up by the radio under the dash. I will drive to Gila if ya need some help!!

http://vette.the-reeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm

Those two codes refer to wiring, voltage, and possible HVAC control assembly replacement. :bang