Break Dust

Guest LikeNu2

Guest LikeNu2

My Z06 makes more front wheel brake dust then I have ever seen. My 2000 coupe was never that bad, hardly any dust at all. I have heard that ceramic pads will elminate the dust but because they are a harder pad the rotors will go away real fast. Any suggestions of a pad that is less dusty. It is real annoying when you spend days cleaning the car for a show and by the time you get to the show the front wheels are a mess.

Guest Sidewinder

The ceramics will make a lot less mess. I haven't heard of them hurting your rotors though. :cheers:

Guest LikeNu2

I have been told about the ceramics hurting the rotors by a couple of people, I was wondering if any have had a similar problem.

The ceramics will make a lot less mess. I haven't heard of them hurting your rotors though. :cheers:

:agree: I was planning on going ceramic before I leave on my 4K+ trip this summer.

:lurk:

With ALL brake pads you have at least 1 drawback.

You either will get high wear of the pad (soft pads) that give great initial "bite" but will heat up, cause "fade" and will have lots of dust.

Or you can get a hard pad that will have less bite, heat problems are there still but the pads can take it better, but since the pad does not wear as much then the rotor wear is increased.

You have to have a "sacrificial" surface in braking applications. One surface MUST wear out more than the other. That is how you get the "grip" that stops the car. If you had same hardness surfaces than neither one would wear, and you wouldn't stop as well (or not at all).

Best you can do if you're worried about dust is get a ceramic pad and plan on replacing the rotors in 1/2 of the expected lifetime (usually 40,000 miles).

Guest Kens06

I've put about 12K on my car with the ceramics and love them!!

Mine is a daily driver and while you have to get used to the different brake feel, you get used to it and your wheels aren't black every night!!

I did a DE with them on and being in the beginners class, I got some fade but it wasn't bad!!

With rotors @ $27 apiece from NAPA, I'm not worried about wear :cheers:

Ken