Flex Fuel Corvette

Unreal

I have talked to Dave about it, he has a lot of time and effort invested in figuring this out.

My injectors (ID2000's) are too big for gasoline, but I really think it is a great option for folks that want to run bi-fuel.

Typically larger injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. However, there may be no need for one or the other of these, or more than both.

It is really a case-by-case scenario, depending on the car, the power output, and the intended purpose of the vehicle. In the instance we are discussing, it revolves around the E38 processor in the C6 corvette, and some other vehicles from the same time frame.

Hhhhmmmmmmm..........thanks for that link, Unreal .

Maybe I am a candidate :)

That is what I was telling you about Saturday. I talked to Dave after lunch and he said it works great.

I'm happy with my 900+ on 91 so no need for e85, but for the people in 500-700 range I think it is a great option.

I thought I had approached NicD on this exact topic earlier this year, so I called him up to confirm what I thought was his ealier opinion on the FlexFuel subject.

From what I understand, it appears from his past experience with FlexFuel enabled vehicles, that the quality and reliability of the sensors used are in question. He routinely is called upon to disable the FlexFuel ability within the tune for trucks because of the failing sensor.

YMMV.

That is what steck said on the old sensors. He said the 2012+ ones have been solid. The new buick sensors no one is having issues with. Maybe give it more time and see if the newer sensors are better, but so far they are having good luck with them.

That is what steck said on the old sensors. He said the 2012+ ones have been solid. The new buick sensors no one is having issues with. Maybe give it more time and see if the newer sensors are better, but so far they are having good luck with them.

I agree. E85 is hygroscopic, and it seemed like water was the main culprit regarding the older sensors.

Nothing wrong with taking a hide and watch stance while others get the bugs sorted out.

Steck, LOL that guy is something else. I sure am glad Dave uses his powers for good instead of evil.

Desertdawg

I guess I haven't been paying attention, whats the big advantage to switching to flex fuel?

I guess I haven't been paying attention, whats the big advantage to switching to flex fuel?

It's a convienence thing for us that have both E85 and 91 tunes. Currently, when I'm unable to find or use E85, I have to upload my 91 tune from my HP Tuner Pro on my netbook before the car will run properly. Having the FlexFuel option enabled and operational would allow me to change fuel at will and the car will adopt automatically based on the detected levels of ethanol in the fuel....no need to change my tune based on fuel :)

For instance....this weekend, I'll need to carry gas cans down to Inde for the HPDE I'm running in this weekend. So far, my driving range has dropped considerably (partially due to my driving habits as of late :lol ), and there's no E85 stations near Willcox. I'm hoping an additional 15 gallons of E85, along with what I'll have in the car when I arrive at the track, will be sufficient for me to run the track for the day and have enough fuel to make it back to Tucson. If I run low on fuel at Willcox, I'll need to upload my 91 tune and use regular pump gas for my trip home.

I agree. E85 is hygroscopic, and it seemed like water was the main culprit regarding the older sensors.

Nothing wrong with taking a hide and watch stance while others get the bugs sorted out.

Steck, LOL that guy is something else. I sure am glad Dave uses his powers for good instead of evil.

Agreed....I think I'll sit back and watch this one for a while before committing to the modifications. It sure would be nice if it ultimately the conclusions are that the reliability is there with the new sensors.

Desertdawg

That didn't explain why anyone would want to run flex fuel to begin with.

Whats the advantages of flex over regular 91 octane?

That didn't explain why anyone would want to run flex fuel to begin with.

Whats the advantages of flex over regular 91 octane?

You're asking me why I would want to run E85 instead of pump gas, or what properties of E85 are superior to our 91 pump gas ?

If so, you'll need to look back on the thread created by the artist formally known as Two Snails :)

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net/arizonavette/forums/index.php?showtopic=19256

Desertdawg

Why run E85? what are the advantages for anyone (me included) to want to run E85???

Desertdawg

I guess I haven't been paying attention,

See, I'm no dummy, I knew there was an easy answer ...:lol

I guess I haven't been paying attention,

See, I'm no dummy, I knew there was an easy answer ... :lol

:smilelol no worries.

I looked into this same topic a little bit ago. Biggest advice is to put the sensor in the return line so it's not a restriction.

For the big HP guys we run into things like Parker mentioned such as too large of an injector to even run 91. Nic said he could tune my ID2000s but that it won't be ideal.

The other pro of having this setup for us E85 guys would be if you fill with a bad batch of E85. There's a possibility that E85 can range in octane by 10 or so points and when you're making 1100+ at the tire you probably want to make sure the fuel is spot on.

For my purposes it's more complexity that I'm going to avoid for now. My car isn't pushed to it's limit but I'll keep an eye on this setup for when I decide 1400 needs to happen.

Even for e85 only people, if you get e70 or something this could adapt. Maybe you never need 91 but it would adjust for the differences in E85.

It's a good point. E85 is like Grandma's cookies. They will never be the same twice. Since the ethanol and gasoline is mixed in the tanker truck right before it leaves the fuel depot, there will always inevitably be differences.

My fuel trims get a little fruity on ethanol blends with more gasoline, but they are not skewed to the point that I get a CEL.