So it's not quite a Vette...

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

...but it's nice to have a small block Chevy V8 under the hood again.

My new weekend ride

post-28-0-70702900-1369688195_thumb.jpgpost-28-0-08006200-1369688246_thumb.jpgpost-28-0-67226300-1369688279_thumb.jpg

I wanted a nice inexpensive classic cruiser to take to cruise-ins and car shows up here in the Northeast, and decided a 3rd Gen Firebird Trans Am t-top, the car I dreamed of having when I was 14 (thanks Knight Rider), was the perfect car to fit the need. I've searched since last year to find one that was not an abused trashed piece of junk, which was much harder than I anticipated. A few got away from me, but that worked out to my advantage because I found this 65,000 original mile unmolested 1987 survivor on Craigs List in Harrisburg, PA. Other than the tires and battery, the car appears to be 100% original. How many F Bodies survive like that? This car appears and drives like a 5 year old car. It's right out of the '80s. She's got the optional 5.0 liter TPI engine and posi rear end. (Hard to believe a limited slip diff was an option on a T/A, lol) Unfortunately it's not a WS6 car, but it's so exceptional otherwise it really does not matter. Just 190 HP, but that's OK. I just wanted a cruiser. The seller only drove this car 1,200 miles a year for the past 18 years, kept it in his mother's garage, and not only did it not see snow, he would not drive it in the rain, and he mostly drove it at night when there was less traffic on the road. The t-tops have not been removed in over 18 years! Yes, I plan to take them off! No mods planned. This car's strength is it's originality. It's just below a trailer queen. I'm just going to drive and enjoy the vintage ride.

Just had to share with my old A.C.E. friends. This seemed like a good reason to check in. I still miss AZ, and I miss my old Vette. Hard to believe I sold it 8 years ago! Yes, I still have the DeLorean. It's in Tempe. It lives in my condo.

Hope all is well back in AZ!

Dan W.

Wow, time capsule is right! I had Formula Firebird that I abused through college, they do stick to the corners nice...

Dan who??? Long time no see buddy! Great looking ride!

Quicksilver98

I had a 87 IROC back in the day....My first fairly new car. Was only 1.5 yrs old when I got it. I was an an auto and could burn em in first and squak em going into 2nd. Not bad at all.

Extender32

Nice find! I had an 88' Trans Am GTA with the 5.7 TPI that I had bought new in July 88 and I had it until Aug 95 when I traded it with 42K on the odo for a 94 Bonneville. Good luck with the cruising.

I had a 87 IROC back in the day....My first fairly new car. Was only 1.5 yrs old when I got it. I was an an auto and could burn em in first and squak em going into 2nd. Not bad at all.

I had the exact same car!!! She was red and gorgeous. But would not light them up. Off the line she was a pig and 5.0 Mustangs would eat my lunch. If we were rolling though, they did not stand a chance. So I would always make sure that's how it happened. :edward:

You're not alone if F-Body land! My daily driver:

Posted Image

Congrats to you on your beauty!

Bromley's Corvettes

Welcome back to V-8 land lol. Its going to make you miss your 79 vette even more. I bet Jay would make you a deal on buying it back. Its had a few mods sense you had it though lol.

Desertdawg

Holy Crap, it's DanW. :howdy Nice ride buddy, when are you going to cruise it out here :lol

anmracing2

Good to read your still out there Dan. Hope their taking good care of the DMC. Looks like a great driver you got there. Congrats on the new ride!!!!

Love the T/A's. Congrats, looks like it's in great shape.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Hey, it's great to see everybody's still around and that ACE has grown!It's hard to believe I've been out here in NY/NJ for over 5 years.The weather sucks, the cost of living sucks, the tolls suck, the roads suck, the drivers really suck, but my gig at BMW is worth it. It's kind of cool when every model a manufacturer makes, down to the entry level, handles like a Vette. They take the driving experience pretty seriously. Interesting people to work with. Still, I miss that old GM proving ground.

Bromley's Corvettes

I hear you I have a BMW now a K1300S it handles great :lol

3,503 lbs of trouble

Nice find! I had an 88' Trans Am GTA with the 5.7 TPI that I had bought new in July 88 and I had it until Aug 95 when I traded it with 42K on the odo for a 94 Bonneville. Good luck with the cruising.

In '87 I was a hair away from getting a brand new GTA at Culiver Pontiac. My Grandfather offered to buy it for me after a test drive, probably because I didn't care for the '86 4-banger Mustang he bought me when I turned 18 the previous year. I was attending a school in Los Angeles at the time, and I didn't want to take a new T/A over there because both my apt. and school parking sucked, so I opted to wait on getting a GTA for a few months until I moved back home to AZ. Long story short, I learned life's lesson from this about knowing to "strike when the iron is hot", because when I did move home eight weeks later I got a free hand-me down T-bird instead, and a V6 Thunderbird is no 5.7 liter Firebird.

I almost bought a flame red '87 GTA in CT last month, but the seller just could not find nor make the time to show me the car after I tried multiple times, so I found and bought this blue T/A, which did not need a trip to the paint shop like his GTA does. Well, I hope that seller likes that GTA because he lost a solid bite. It's now back on eBay for the 4th time, and at it's third price reduction. Guess he should have struck while the iron was hot.

F22trainer

...but it's nice to have a small block Chevy V8 under the hood again.

My new weekend ride

Posted Imageta2.jpgPosted Imageta3.jpgPosted Imageta1.jpg

I wanted a nice inexpensive classic cruiser to take to cruise-ins and car shows up here in the Northeast, and decided a 3rd Gen Firebird Trans Am t-top, the car I dreamed of having when I was 14 (thanks Knight Rider), was the perfect car to fit the need. I've searched since last year to find one that was not an abused trashed piece of junk, which was much harder than I anticipated. A few got away from me, but that worked out to my advantage because I found this 65,000 original mile unmolested 1987 survivor on Craigs List in Harrisburg, PA. Other than the tires and battery, the car appears to be 100% original. How many F Bodies survive like that? This car appears and drives like a 5 year old car. It's right out of the '80s. She's got the optional 5.0 liter TPI engine and posi rear end. (Hard to believe a limited slip diff was an option on a T/A, lol) Unfortunately it's not a WS6 car, but it's so exceptional otherwise it really does not matter. Just 190 HP, but that's OK. I just wanted a cruiser. The seller only drove this car 1,200 miles a year for the past 18 years, kept it in his mother's garage, and not only did it not see snow, he would not drive it in the rain, and he mostly drove it at night when there was less traffic on the road. The t-tops have not been removed in over 18 years! Yes, I plan to take them off! No mods planned. This car's strength is it's originality. It's just below a trailer queen. I'm just going to drive and enjoy the vintage ride.

Just had to share with my old A.C.E. friends. This seemed like a good reason to check in. I still miss AZ, and I miss my old Vette. Hard to believe I sold it 8 years ago! Yes, I still have the DeLorean. It's in Tempe. It lives in my condo.

Hope all is well back in AZ!

Dan W.

Hi Dan - Nice to hear from you and CONGRATS!!!

:clap