Bumper Art

Grape Ape

Hypothetical question for you's all. "SAY" one was to make a wall art out of a rear bumper cover. How would one make it mount to the wall? Build a wood frame on the inside for it or what? If a wood frame, how would one mount it to the bumper cover? Drill holes and screws,(which would be kind of ugly I think) or some kind of all strong all purpose adhesive? Has anyone every done this? I know someone here has. wink, wink, nudge, nudge...... Anybody have any ideas? This is Corvette related by the way.

Edit for pictures of what I have so far. I will keep this post updated as I get things done.

Just waiting for Classic to give me a price and time to get it painted. Thinking about going with my color or maybe a PEARL ORANGE.......what y'all think?

Got the bumper cover from Craigslist. Thanks Bob. :yeah::thumbs You da man...

Cut the sides off so it will sit flat against the wall when hung.

Posted Image

Built a frame for the inside so it can be hung. The bottom of the cover had the saggy butt so I had to build something that would hold it like it's supposed to look and this is what I came up with. Tried to find a curved 2x2 to kind of match the curve of the top and found one pretty close. Tell you what, it's a whole lot easier to find a bent piece then a straight one that's for sure.

Posted Image

Used this glue and it seems to be holding rather well. Takes a little time to completely dry though. The frame slipped a little bit so I have to redo it. Not a big deal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the youtube link for the final install and room.

Enjoy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grape Ape

• Desertdawg

• F22trainer

• Cross

F22trainer

What year? Should not be to hard to make a rack out of either wood or aluminum that could be mounted to the wall, then secure with some blocking attached to the inside with "Liquid Nails or such adhesive.

maybe a piece of 1X2 cut at about a 45 degree on the lower half, really good adhesive to the top of the cover (inside) with the cut toward the wall. This so the cover sits on the molding you've created .... then another piece of 1X2 also cut the same mounted to the wall ... so the two pieces fit together when hung ???? I've see something like this done with heavy art .... and ..... no need to drill the cover ..... :blur: just a thought ....

That's what I was wondering about. The adhesive. So you're saying that it should hold without having to install any screws to hold the framework to the cover? I like that. Maybe a C5 Corvette rear bumper by the way. Just throwing it out there. Might get one made one of these days and trying to figure out how to do things. :leaving

I think if you check there are mounting points where the bumper mounts to the car. Those could no doubt be used. As for mounting to the wall I think you can access thru the tail lights.

No more mounting holes attached on the bumper. Someone may have cut them off to make it flat for the wall.

Make a piece wood to fit inside so it is flush with the back, silicone in place let dry and use a french cleat to hang.

Great idea Blu. Hypothetically speaking again, we'll see if the glue thing works in the morning. Not sayin' I did anything yet but we'll see...........If it all works out, I may, just may have some pictures.

What Charlie said, perhaps even take a 1x4 laid flat then trace the profile of the top of the bumper cover so that will "scribe-fit" to the inside along the top. Silicone that sucker to the inside along the length of the cover, let it set, hang the mating cleat to the wall, and put that sucker up!

Screw it to the wall or wood that's on the wall, behind the license plate. Put a plate on over the screws. Wire up a 12v transformer to turn on the taillights and/or backups.

Post pics when you're done.

Thanks for all your input guys. Going through the wall just won't do it for me as the wall I want this on isn't in line with the garage. Good idea though. I have updated the first post with some pictures of progress so far.

F22trainer

What??? No chrome tail pipes?

CHANGE-ORDER! Might want to add the chrome undies too!

Chrome undies????? Let's not get to carried away now. Am working on someway to mount some chrome tips though.

Great idea! and orange would look great, seems like for wall art you could get a little groovy with some design. Like some lettering associated to the culture ie. American Graffiti, Corvette Summer....possibly some pictures decoupaged to the clip or better yet, incorporated on a framed backdrop on the wall behind it? Hmmm...make it look like your about to rape a V at a race track or stop sign, perhaps a background picture showing a bunch of us at an ACE event like your parked there and talking... by your ride?

I have extra tail lights that would look cool lit up...

I can make it mountable, while we have it for paint. Sent you a pm.. This is gonna look awesome! As you know, I have a c4 one!

I have the adhesives & a way to mount it. I can also wire the tail lamps to work. Whatever color bumper, smoked lights/or not... Whatever! Gimmie the bumper, done..

Desertdawg

Just remember, it's indoors so the pearl or anyother metallic color isn't going to show up well unless you light it with some strong lighting.

I think I might have to copy this and put ome tail lights that work in it... maybe even my extra plate... although I was thinking of getting another one so....

Well, it just wouldn't be right if I painted it any other color but my own. So, Majestic Amethyst Metallic it is. Just got home from dropping it off. Should look pretty cool. Have to wait til August when my Daughter moves out to mount it though. It will have lights in it too. I think everyone should have one of these not matter what generation it is.

Well, it just wouldn't be right if I painted it any other color but my own. So, Majestic Amethyst Metallic it is. Just got home from dropping it off. Should look pretty cool. Have to wait til August when my Daughter moves out to mount it though. It will have lights in it too. I think everyone should have one of these not matter what generation it is.

What if you rigged something like a garage door sensor to the point where you park the Vette that made the brake lights on the bumper on the wall come on, letting you know where to stop?