25,000 Miles Between Oil Changes!

suprone

So I'm at work when this white 1999 Chevy van pulls up. Not unusual, we get all kinds of vehicles to pick up parts. This one had Millionmilechevy.com front, back, side to side painted on. My buds start yelling at me cause I brought the Vette in! There thinkin' this guy came in to ask or interview me! Nope! Just came in to pick up parts, so I ask what's up with the million mile thing? Turns out this guy put on 1.2 million miles on that van! He owned a delivery business and literally drove all over the nation! Coast to coast! He said he actually put on the million in eight years! Wow! Then he tells me he owed it all to using AMSOIL. Synthetic oil, it get crazy here! He changed oil only every 25,000 miles! This guy was a walking commercial! Very interesting! To say the least. You get a chance check out his web site! and by the way... What the hell is AMSOIL??? www.millionmilechevy.com

that is actually very reasonable for a fully synthetic oil .

I read an article about a 1990-ish Honda civic. where the author would take samples of engine oil every 3000 miles on a full synthetic product.

he paid big bucks to have each sample professorially analysed.

the result?

at 18,000 mi (1.5 years) he gave up. the OIL has marginal break down and loss of lubricating properties over that time.

simply put the author said " I had to stop the test because it had gotten so dark in color i was not sleeping at night, all tho the labs said it was perfectly fine."

to keep the test fair he did change the filter every 5000 miles.

so why do we change the oil at 3,000 miles?

old habits, from old car mechanics that wont let go of ancient values.

for me i run fully synenthic and change every 8,000 to 10,000 miles or after 1 year (witch ever comes first).

Desertdawg

There are a lot of factors that come into play here too... My example, I ran into a couple of Ferd test guys out here one summer, they were driving F150s with CNG, one of the trucks had just shy of 300,000 miles WITHOUT a single oil change. He said running synthetic was part of the puzzle, the other was the CNG, without gasoline being burned there was no carbon being introduced into the engine. They had pulled the valve covers and the inside was cleaner than the outside of the motor.... Carbon produced from burning fossil fuel will contaminate the oil and that is the major reason oil breaks down.

I heard Royal Purple was awesome!

mark is not here any more to give a shit about royal purple ya weenie.

I heard Royal Purple was awesome!

mark is not here any more to give a shit about royal purple ya weenie.

Let's change the name of the forum to Royal Purple Enthusiasts now since we're all so lame now

I was first introduced to Amsoil in teh early 70's....my hot rod buds' dad used to run it in his 64 Impala, along with a Frantz bypass oil filter with teh 'toilet paper' filter. He only ever changed teh filters, and topped-off from teh filter change. It had almost 300k on it when he sold it in 85. Then, while going to college, I worked at a full-serve gas station, and teh mechanic there was an Amsoil dealer, he had an old 64 Chevy II with a 230 in that had a little over 500k. I bought it, intending to tub it, but teh plan didn't happen, and it became my daily driver. I sold it at about 740k...it leaked a little, but still never blew oil.

I buy it today from time to time, but teh local dealers are a little strange, so I usually go with RedLine.

There are a lot of factors that come into play here too... My example, I ran into a couple of Ferd test guys out here one summer, they were driving F150s with CNG, one of the trucks had just shy of 300,000 miles WITHOUT a single oil change. He said running synthetic was part of the puzzle, the other was the CNG, without gasoline being burned there was no carbon being introduced into the engine. They had pulled the valve covers and the inside was cleaner than the outside of the motor.... Carbon produced from burning fossil fuel will contaminate the oil and that is the major reason oil breaks down.

Hate to break the news to ya, but CNG is a carbon based fossil fuel and you don't produce carbon when you burn it.

I run it in all my toys.

My little red truck has 212,000 on it and knock wood,haven't lifted a valve cover,and it runs pretty good lol.

I was exposed to it by some uncles who were long haul truck drivers and had millions of miles with it.

Knew a guy that had a frud fairmont that he never changed the oil in.He would swap the oil filter every 10 or so thousand miles and top it off.Last I heard it was pushing almost 500,000.

I'm still with Cahd though and do mine every 10,000 or so,or once a year.

Desertdawg

Carbon produced from burning fossil fuel will contaminate the oil and that is the major reason oil breaks down.

Hate to break the news to ya, but CNG is a carbon based fossil fuel and you don't produce carbon when you burn it.

Well gasoline and diesel are more like parts of fossil's, CNG is more like dinosaur farts !!!

Since carbon is an object it can't be part of a fart ... unless it's a wet fart.

Carbon produced from burning fossil fuel will contaminate the oil and that is the major reason oil breaks down.

Well gasoline and diesel are more like parts of fossil's, CNG is more like dinosaur farts !!!

Since carbon is an object it can't be part of a fart ... unless it's a wet fart.

Oooo... you're going to piss off the chemistry majors with that one! Ask Atom. :leaving

I run it in all my toys.

My little red truck has 212,000 on it and knock wood,haven't lifted a valve cover,and it runs pretty good lol.

I was exposed to it by some uncles who were long haul truck drivers and had millions of miles with it.

Knew a guy that had a frud fairmont that he never changed the oil in.He would swap the oil filter every 10 or so thousand miles and top it off.Last I heard it was pushing almost 500,000.

Uh Oh, did you just do what I think you did? Well, now you're in for it. LOL

I run it in all my toys.

Uh Oh, did you just do what I think you did? Well, now you're in for it. LOL

I know right! lol

Since NG is mostly methane, and CNG is compressed NG, it is almost a wet carbon fart. The herbivore dinos ate a lot of fiber, so therefore created the first carbon fiber NG.

post-851-0-46265500-1369282985_thumb.jpg

so why do we change the oil at 3,000 miles?

Because the dashboard won't shut up!!