NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

V12 LS1 Engine

Ted Y

It is ambitious, but certainly nothing that hasn't been done before. While this is LS based, Falconer did it with traditional SBC stuff. http://www.falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php?v12=main

The main challenge is they are building a V12 based on a 90 degree V8 platform, sooner or later, you are going to have to fire two cylinders simultaneously. This has less than favorable harmonics, and certainly a poopy sounding exhaust note. The old Vipers can thank this simultaneous firing on their V10 for their "honky" sounding exhaust that everyone (including Viper owners) hates.

The thing is a friggin' mile long, so besides an occasional rat rod or Dusenberg replica, you are most likely going to see it in boats, or as he mentions in the article, replica aircraft.

It is cool to look at, but I do not believe it will ever amount to anything other than a novelty.

Saw the Falconer car at the NCM when I was there. Remember it from when I was a kid and how bad I wanted one. Now, still cool, but still a C4.

Posted Image

I understand they want to save money by welding the cranks together, but it would benefit from a new crank design with a proper V12 during order every 60 degrees.

Pretty cool. Pratt & Miller had basically cut an LS in half to develop a V-4 motorcycle engine awhile back as well.

I understand they want to save money by welding the cranks together, but it would benefit from a new crank design with a proper V12 during order every 60 degrees.

I absolutely agree, but unless they offset the rod journals, like they did in the old even fire 90 degree V6s, you are still going to have to fire two cylinders at a time for part of the firing order. Or make it odd fire, but wow, you talk about a rough running son of a bitch, wow....