Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOTV8

1974 Motion Can Am Spyder Prototype

MOTV8

Yes...it looks like a Starsky & Hutch Corvette. :shifter:

But I bet you won't see another like it anytime soon...

1974 Motion Can Am Spyder Prototype
Posted Image

Mecum’s 26th annual Spring Classic auction kicks off next week in Indianapolis. One of the stars of the weekend will be this 1974 Motion Can Am Spyder from the Dan McMichael collection. The monster was the prototype for a short run consisting of just 3 additional cars. It goes up for bids next Saturday, May 18th about 3:25pm Central time.
Posted Image

The Can Am Spyder prototype was assembled by Joel Rosen’s Motion Performance. Lot S147 is the only red car in the 4 car run of Spyders. It’s also the only big block car. The drivetrain features a 550hp 466 cubic inch big block, a Muncie M22 4-speed, and a 4.11 rear gear. Exhaust exits through side pipes mounted low beneath the bulbous bodywork. The 3 other Can Am Spyders are all yellow small blocks.
Posted Image

Rosen drew his inspiration for the wide body styling from the famous Greenwood Corvettes. Motion fabbed all of the body pieces except the roof panels and windshield. The interior sports black diamond-tufted upholstery, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and custom gauge bezels. A Hurst shifter helps out when it’s time to swap the cogs. It rolls its original finned aluminum wheels and Pro Trac Racing Profile tires.
Posted Image

The pre-auction estimate for this car is $150,000 – $225,000. That’s a pretty big range, but how does one really price a car of this pedigree?
Posted Image
Posted Image

:coool:

TheCMSH

Corvette Summer baby, rollin' like Huggy Bear!!

Quicksilver98

The white stripes don't do anything for me.....especially the ones coming out of the side vents and circling the rear fender. Would have looked much better if they just faded them out by the end of the door. Similar to what they did with the upper stripe. Even if I had that much spare change lying around don't think I would put it there.

P51tj

I think the carb is on crooked.

Z16Rocket

wholly 70's man, that interior reminds me of a coffin! It'l bring some BREAD from the right buyer though! I actually saw corvette summer at the movie theater when I was a little tyke..

Ted Y

Pure C3 goodness. Probably the baddest '74 around.

Desertdawg

I never cared for that body kit, but with that motor who cares.....

y2krtaf

The bid goes on at Mecum,as it stalled at 120.000.

Bigfoot

Sorry, not really diggin this car.

P51tj

If I win Powerball, I still would not own this piece of history.

Lurch

I'm new here and was just starting to check the site out. THEN I SAW THIS!!. I lived around the block from Motion when I was a teenager and remember all the great cars they built. And yes I do remember this car. Yes it is dated now to some but at the time it was MIND BLOWING! Thanks for the trip back in time. Lurch

MOTV8

Glad you liked it Lurch! If you use the search function in the upper right corner you can search for "Baldwin Motion" and find lots of threads about some wicked vettes on here. Enjoy!