Twin Turbo Rear Mount Kits... I have one... Talk me out of it

Cross

Alright I got offered the piping, turbos (new, forgot brand not one I am familiar with), Waste Gates and other items for a Twin Turbo C5 Kit... and I find myself asking just what the hell am I going to do with this?

My Motor is not built for it... yes it would be fun to build for it but I would rather not... I have been prepping for Nitrous (Out side of my fuel issue and grounding issue I have now dealt with). I would like to later on go LS3 to be honest but that was much later on the Vette really is close to being the way I want it after Nitrous and the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Kit.

So why should I or shouldn't I do this... I am starting to think putting this kit on the big forums for sale and just making a little more cash towards my Nitrous goal is a better idea then looking at it for the next month and ending up buying a whole bunch of stuff I shouldn't causing my motor to shortly after go boom.

What have you guys heard about rear mount twin kits? This is the first time I have ever seen one I have seen singles but not twins.

I think you should give it to me. Doesn't sound like something you'd want.

Two Fangs

Cons:

• [*]Lots of plumbing, allowing more opportunity for boost leaks [*]Oil control can be a problem if not set up correctly [*]PCV system will require modification [*]Can be laggy if the wrong turbine size is selected [*]Can tend to be obnoxiously loud, especially under boost

Pros:

• [*]Cooler IATs [*]No underhood engine heat [*]Room for huge air filters, allowing for less inlet restriction [*]Keeps engine configuration stock, allowing for easy spark plug and oil changes

joe@cpr.com

don't do it, rear mounts are junk you eventually will have oil issues especially w/ an sts kit. sound cool and that's about it. if your into it for a good deal sell it make some money and let someone else deal with the headache.

You can do a rear mount setup correctly, but it will cost money to do it right. Turbowerx oil return pumps, custom fitting the charge piping up tight to the underside and minimizing joints. Proper turbo selection is very important. I had a GT35R on my 5.3 Avalanche and it was pretty fun. I ran it at 7psi normally and 10psi with meth. The STS pcv failed and sprayed oil all over my engine bay. I swapped to a catch can setup. Then I broke an oil feed line off the turbo when I hit a whoop in Glamis. Sprayed out 3 quarts in about 30-45 seconds and looked like a smoke screen coming out the back of my Av. The STS kit seemed pretty cheap to me and if I were to do a rear mount now, it would be a completely custom setup. I would sell what you have now and pocket the money. A&A just listed what they call a "brand newsed" kit for $3995 on Corvette Forum. It has a reconditioned Si head unit and all new brackets, intercooler, and fasteners. It's already sold, but they pop up time to time.

Drewstein

We nicknamed the STS kits Stupid Turbo Systems. More parts to an already complicated system and as Parker and Joe highlighted they can have additional headaches over regular turbo systems.

If you went that route I suggest a journal bearing turbos so you don't have a huge issue with oil restrictors etc. The BB turbos back there are more touchy to proper oiling and running oil to the rear of the car and back is already hard enough without having to perfect volume. Then there's only the other issue of tons of piping etc to run along with keeping the heat in the exhaust to the turbos etc.

There's a few kits out there and the rear mount is at the bottom of them. I'd rather look at a UPP kit which are fairly reasonable for turbo kits.