Technology Question

Eddie44

For you Geeks out there, I have a question. My employer is about to embark on a phone allowance rather than supplying a phone. I'm delighted because it will allow me to get an iPhone instead if this POS Blackberry. My question is, I get an average of 50-60 emails a day. How will receiving that many emails effect my data plan? I would note that we have a wifi network here at work and I have Cox at home. I'm just afraid of that many emails jumping my data useage tremendously. I do have a habit of checking email as they come in and don't really want to retrain myself to check if I have wifi or not. I guess I could leave the cell data off unless I absolutely need it but that's a PITA. Any input would be appreciated!

Won't affect your data usage at all. Use your wifi when available, and don't worry about it.

Am I correct in my thinking that if I am not where wifi is available any email would have an effect on my data useage?

Just have them "spring" for the unlimited usage plan.

Problem is they are looking at an allowance and us having to contract our own plan. I am currently with Verizon for Kim's phone and my iPad. i would just have to add a phone but want to be sure my data plan is sufficient.

If you're afraid that your data plan will not cover your usage, you'll need to consider disabling email auto-pushing and resort to a manual fetch request of email for when you KNOW you're on wifi. If that's your biggest data hog, then you'll need to carefully ensure the phone settings are not allowing automated use of network traffic when you're not connected to a wifi source.

E.g.: iPhone:

set everything for email receiving to manual:

Settings >Mail, Contacts, Calendars >Fetch new data - Off >Push - Off, Fetch - Manually

Settings >Mail, Contacts, Calendars >Fetch new data - Off >Advanced >Manual

You may set your work's email for a manual fetch and still have personal email pushed automatically. You may also want the phone/provider to text you when your data cap is nearing, or get into the habit of checking your usage daily/weekly depending on your usage trends.

EDIT: The caveat with 1/2 push, 1/2 manual fetch account settings is that even with manual fetch on your work email account... if you open your email based on a notification of personal email being received, it WILL trigger the mail program to request new mail from manually fetched accounts anyway.

Emails themselves aren't big at all. It's when they contain pictures and such that they use a lot of data. I don' tknow about the iPhones, but on my Android phone you have the option to "show pictures" in emails (And "always show pictures from this sender") and it cuts down on data. Between my Android phone and my iPad mini I'm at about 8-10gb a month but I use the iPad for flying and downloading charts takes alot of data.

I'm the same as you, wifi at home and work. On my phone I go through about a half gig a month, doing whatever I want to do. Just don't watch TV from your phone when out and about and you'll be fine.

And for sure don't sweat the emails. They are very small in file size, and as said above, try to retrieve the lion's share of them when you are wifi enabled. Verizon also notifies me whan I have used half of my data plan (which is 1gb), so when I hit a half gb, I get a text letting me know.

You should be fine with emails. Unless you are downloading tv, movies or streaming his of music, you shouldn't worry.

Unless you have huge attachments emails are nothing. Watching 5 minutes of youtube would probably be more than 2000 emails.

50 - 60email is really not that much unless your getting alot of word and excel docs. Where i work they give me a $45 a month allowance and that more than covers my usage.

T-Mobile has iPhones and unlimited data on an LTE Network