What are your alignment settings?

Geno

I recently had some vibration in the steering wheel at +80MPH and had the wheels aligned. The vibration is definately lower than it was and the mechanic says the wheels need to be re-balanced, so I'm getting that done too. The question I have is on the alignment. When I got the car it required some effort to turn the car right or left. It seemed almost like it was self centering. Now the feel in the wheel it easier to move left and right especially at highway speeds.

I got a read out of the settings but don't fully understand them enough to tell the alignment shop what I want them to do. Any feedback would be great.

Left Front Before After Right Front Before After

Caster 2.72' 6.96' 2.19' 6.95'

Camber .76' -0.25' -0.78' -0.64'

Toe -3/16" 7/32" -9/32" 1/16"

Left Rear Before After Right Rear Before After

Camber -1.60' 0.12' -2.19' -0.25

Toe -3/16" 1/32" -1/16" 1/32"

Thanks

If the car is easier to steer, they removed some of the positive caster. Caster moves the ball joints in relation to the spindle. Too much caster will make the car harder to steer, while not enough caster makes the car feel twitchy.

Interesting alignment readings, who did the work?

Pfadt Corvette Alignment Recommendations

These settings are a guide based on the experience and testing of Pfadt Race Engineering.

Performance Street

Front min max

Camber (deg) -0.7 -0.9

Caster (deg) 7.5 8.5

Toe -1/16" 0

Rear

Camber (deg) -0.4 -0.6

Toe -1/16" 0

Notes

These settings will provide good performance and good tire wear

Performance Street - Track Use with Street Tires

Front min max

Camber (deg) -1.1 -1.3

Caster (deg) 7.5 8.5

Toe -1/16" 0

Rear

Camber (deg) -0.7 -0.9

Toe -1/8" -1/16"

Notes

These settings will provide good all around performance. The tires will wear the inside edges

in street use and the outside edges on the race track. This is a good dual purpose alignment.

Performance Street - Track Use with Race Tires

Front min max

Camber (deg) -1.6 -1.8

Caster (deg) 7.5 8.5

Toe -1/16" 0

Rear

Camber (deg) -0.9 -1.1

Toe -1/8" -1/16"

Notes

These settings will provide great track performance. The tires will wear the inside edges

in street use, and the car may tend to grab the lanes of the road. Race tires will wear well

at the track and provide high levels of grip. This alignment is compromised towards track use.

Dedicated Track Car - DOT Tires, poly bushings

Front min max

Camber (deg) -2.8 -3.0

Caster (deg) 6.5 7.5

Toe -1/16" 0

Rear

Camber (deg) -1.5 -1.7

Toe -1/8" -1/16"

Notes

These settings are a good starting point for a car with polyurethane or stock control arm

bushings. This alignment requires DOT race tires to function appropriately.

This is a starting point only, testing and monitoring tire temperatures and pressures are required

to optimize any setup.

Dedicated Track Car - DOT Tires, Spherical Bearings

Front min max

Camber (deg) -2.4 -2.6

Caster (deg) 6.5 7.5

Toe -1/16" 0

Rear

Camber (deg) -1.2 -1.4

Toe -3/16" -1/8"

Notes

These settings are a good starting point for a car with mono-ball or spherical control arm

bushings. This alignment requires DOT race tires to function appropriately.

This is a starting point only, testing and monitoring tire temperatures and pressures are required

to optimize any setup.

Dedicated Track Car - Race Slicks, Spherical Bearings

Front min max

Camber (deg) -3.0 -3.2

Caster (deg) 6.5 7.5

Toe -1/16" 0

Rear

Camber (deg) -2.0 -2.3

Toe -3/16" -1/8"

Notes

These settings are a good starting point for a car with mono-ball or spherical control arm

bushings. This alignment is designed and tested with race slicks, not DOT tires.

to optimize any setup.

How are they interesting?

Your front camber and toe after the adjustment are farther apart from side to side than I personally like to see. Is the steering wheel straight?

You didn't by chance get the before and after readings reversed, did you?

Looks like I made a mistake in the Left Toe. The correct values are -3/16" before and 1/32" after not 7/32" like I posted earlier. All of the other values are correct.

Anyone know what the cost of an alignment is at LPM?

looks like theres a bit much right camber but the caster looks real good. (acording to gm)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got this fixed. Turned out I must've had a couple of weights come off of 3 tires. They were good to about 70mph but when they were balanced at 90mph on a road force machine they were off by 1/2 oz on the fronts and 1 oz on the back. Now the car doesn't shake apart at freeway speeds. Now to replace the shocks.......