Vintage Air Install

65sting

After 5years I decided to put in AC. My wife actually asked for it before we drive to Plastic Fantastic in May. I called Bromley's to do this for me. He started while I was away in South America on a photo trip.

Just checked on it yesterday and got a few pictures. Got all the upgraded polished hardware they offer as my engine is custom not stock.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

That is cool.............. LOL!!! I've been thinking about doing that with the '69 but not sure if I wanna spend the money on it.

After not using it a lot in the summer for 5 years except early morning I decided to get it in this year.

RULE: When your wife is in favor of a major upgrade you never say no.

It is a vintage air kit, with the polished upgrades was around $1500

LOL!!! Yeah, the day I got the ok for the TKO 5 Spd, I was on the phone before she would change her mind....

I've some some great looking cars with Vintage Air and they do a lot of OE looking kits. If I do it, I'll use them as well.

The Vintage Air will cool your car very well. Mine works great in the '64. If you have any problems creep up. let me know, as I worked thru a couple on mine.

Dave

Azmotorhead

FWIW I'd put a electric pusher out front. I put a system in a 64 coupe I did years back. A elec fan was necessary to keep the head

pressures down.

I cant recall if it was a vintage or Old air prod system.

I've some some great looking cars with Vintage Air and they do a lot of OE looking kits. If I do it, I'll use them as well.

We.ve done a couple of the OE kits .... I was amazed how well they put those together to look like factory set up in the inside of the car and to able to hide a lot of the system in the engine bay .... especially the control panel ....

Congrats on your install ..... Doug does great work !!!! :thumbs

post-1098-0-16797600-1367121827_thumb.jp

Dave,

the new kit has an electric switched heater valve replacing the old vacuum type

Bromley's Corvettes

FWIW I'd put a electric pusher out front. I put a system in a 64 coupe I did years back. A elec fan was necessary to keep the head

pressures down.

I cant recall if it was a vintage or Old air prod system.

We are adding a 2100cfm fan in front. It works great and gets down to 40 when driving around town and sitting at shop but gets hot when stuck in traffic for a long time. The car never got over 180 be four the air install and usually ran about 165. With air on now it will get to 220 and it makes the compressor cycle from high head presser so the high flow fan should help that. The system looks and fits great and it blows hard and cold just need to get some more air flow through the condenser and it will be good.

Can't tell from the pic but does the Vintage Air kit have the modified radio side panel/ducts as well as the two round terminals I see under the dash? I suppose with such a small cab to cool, the two side terminals would probably do okay by themselves?

Mike T.

Bromley's Corvettes

It does have vents in side panels and they pump out cold air like crazy lol.

Looks great. If this system was available back in the early 80s, or if I had known about it then, I would still have my '64. The lack of AC was the main reason I sold mine; of course the fact that the buyers gave me more than I had in it also helped! Oh well, just another mistake!

Looks good Doug ... you engine bay install looks great ...... didn't they have a replacement knob that added the AC into the existing heater controls ..??? The side vent option is certainly the bomb ... should keep that cabin nice and cool !!!! :yeah:

Bromley's Corvettes

Thanks and yes they have switches that fit in dash and you drill out the stock knobs so they fit over the shaft of new switches and you have to file a tiny slot in the dash so the switch cant move on you. Its pretty slick set up looks real clean and works great. We installed a 2135cfm elec fan on the front of the condenser today. I will test it out as soon as I get the new Holley carb on and dialed in.

A hint on how to get better flow from the two center console outlets: 3X5 card folded and placed into vent pointing up a bit. This makes a world of difference - they don't blow on your arm. When not in use, store them in the glovebox.

Dave

Bromley's Corvettes

A hint on how to get better flow from the two center console outlets: 3X5 card folded and placed into vent pointing up a bit. This makes a world of difference - they don't blow on your arm. When not in use, store them in the glovebox.

Dave

Thanks the center vents blow so hard they dont need anything. I think this being the newest kit they have made some up grades. This kit had a duel blower motor set up like a twin turbo system lol. It blows super hard out all the vents and gets really cold :burnout2

Is that a flat, or round tube condenser? Flat tube condensers are typically about 30% more efficient. Most ac kit mfg's use a round tube condenser. I have had to replace some condensers to control head pressure

Bromley's Corvettes

Thats a good ? I dont no what they use. This is the latest and greatest kit I would hope they use the best parts. I ran it for a long time at shop today and drove it around. It never got over 177 and air kept blowing cold. The new elec fan moves a lot of air so maybe that did the trick.

F22trainer

I have been wondering about the posibility of changing stock C4 compressor for the shiny Sanden units...anyone seen or heard about doing this to a L-98. I imagine the first headache would be mounting brackets.

BTW nice work Doug and congrats on the purdy climate control system for that really nice car!

Bromley's Corvettes

I have been wondering about the posibility of changing stock C4 compressor for the shiny Sanden units...anyone seen or heard about doing this to a L-98. I imagine the first headache would be mounting brackets.

BTW nice work Doug and congrats on the purdy climate control system for that really nice car!

Vintage air makes a kit with comp and brackets and fittings and lines. Its a retro fit kit it mounts in stock spot.