C6 A/C Compressor

Unreal

Anyone done this or know who can? Was doing my belts last night getting the car back together and noticed the electrical plug to the a/c compressor was broken off. I wiggled it back together with a little RTV hoping it stays together but who knows if or how long that will last. Is this something CPR or LPM could do? I wouldn't want to even get close to a dealer since the a/c compressor is about the only stock part on the car.

I'm sure both CPR and LPM can help. Not sure I would trust RTV with the heat and electrical, maybe look at cleaning it up and then trying JBweld or something a little more solid, you don't want it wiggling loose and possibly causing a short...

Can't really get to it. The white ceramic looking part broke in 1/2. Electrical connector is fine on the harness, it was just dangling with a piece of the comrpessor still attached. The compressor had 2 pins poking out so I was able to slide it back on the pins. No room to JB weld it right now. I'll either do a better repair when I get down there or just replace it. The RTV was just to seal it up from air/water, not hold it together.

I just didn't know if either of those shops did a/c work. I may have the place here do it since they are a full service if it isn't working.

Sound fine then as long as the wires or pins aren't flopping around, if your worried about it coming loose you could even try some duct or gorrilla tape to hold it in. I would consider it electrical work more than AC work...

We would likely remove the compressor and use some dielectric (non-conductive, no metal particles in it) epoxy to put it back together. If it is completely hosed, we would just R&R the compressor clutch and put a new electromagnetic coil in it.

joe@cpr.com

Anyone done this or know who can? Was doing my belts last night getting the car back together and noticed the electrical plug to the a/c compressor was broken off. I wiggled it back together with a little RTV hoping it stays together but who knows if or how long that will last. Is this something CPR or LPM could do? I wouldn't want to even get close to a dealer since the a/c compressor is about the only stock part on the car.

to answer your question yes this is something we could do.

Just to make it interesting, the other Joe from Classic Gold does AC work too....... :bolt:

I was told the electrical connection is part of the a/c clutch, so maybe able to swap that without removing the compressor.

Any idea on cost? Problem is car has an ECS kit and Dallas Performance Direct drive so if I need to pay a place to fix it I want to make sure they know what to do. It looks solid for now but if it pops out then it will need to be replaced.

It will probably depend on the clutch puller that is used and how much room is available.

I will send you a PM Monday.

Honestly if I'm going to get in there and have some pull it apart I rather just replace it and do a full service. Price me out both. Looks like easiest way to get it all out would be to remove passenger side header then the mounting bolts/studs and slide it out back from the header. Leave the belt in place since the direct drive stuff sucks to mess with. I just put the passenger side header in and that isn't a big deal to drop out to get the a/c compressor out.

Heck, I could do it myself easy enough but what about recharging/etc. If it is just swapping the compressor it looks pretty damn easy. This is all assuming it isn't fixed with my ghetto fix job. There is more duct tape on my car than I would like to admit.