Plasti Dipped our Evo 8

GTABurnout

Lots of work. Not perfect but I like the color. Its a custom color mix of the light blue and black.

Not sure how many coats. I think we could have done more. This stuff is more work then I expected to spray. We took a short brake and thats when we started having spraygun problems. Turned out we really needed to clean up the gun with paint thinner. Once clean it all worked well.

Enough talk heres some pics.

Thanks to David for helping tape the car up last night.
Posted Image

Posted Image
First coat
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting! Anxious to hear how the maintenace is and if it finger-smudges as bad as the typical matte finish paint. Good job!

Looks good. I know it's too late now, but I've heard it's easier just to leave the windows un-taped and paint over them and then just peel it off. But I've never plasti dipped anything so I don't know for sure.

Looks good hunter. I did a set of rims in black but of course I didn't do a good job so I peeled it off. For the most part it looked good but I did have a few runs so I decided to peel it off. the stuff is pretty cool though. It is more work then you think though. I'm thinking of trying it again with my race rims.

Looks good hunter. I did a set of rims in black but of course I didn't do a good job so I peeled it off. For the most part it looked good but I did have a few runs so I decided to peel it off. the stuff is pretty cool though. It is more work then you think though. I'm thinking of trying it again with my race rims.

I've had the best luck with multiple very thin coats. Ends up with a nice thick coating but without any runs or drips. Makes it a lot easier to remove also.

I've had the best luck with multiple very thin coats. Ends up with a nice thick coating but without any runs or drips. Makes it a lot easier to remove also.

How many cans did it take you to do all four wheels? I think I uses close to two cans per wheel, hence the running lol. What was your process when you did yours?

Thanks,

Tony

How many cans did it take you to do all four wheels? I think I uses close to two cans per wheel, hence the running lol. What was your process when you did yours?

Thanks,

Tony

Wow that's a lot... I think I end up using about 3 cans for all four wheels.

I just clean the hell out of the wheels with Simple Green, then spray on the plasti dip. The first few times I spent a lot of time taping off the tires so I wouldn't get any spray on them. Realized that this isn't really necessary, any overspray on the tires just peels right off.

I do a light coat on each wheel, then go back immediately and put on another light coat, then a third. I think that's about it.

So big things I learned while doing this.

First several light coats to get started then lay it on thicker. I have some areas that are still very thin.

If you use a spray gun keep painting. Don't stop, the plastidip will clug the gun in min's.

Taping off the windows is optional but it will reqire more time and dip to coat the windows well enough to allow a quick east pull off.

Tape off rubber molding if it is old and cracking. The Dip stuck to the window and rail molding really well made it a pain to remove.

take tape off right after last coat don't wait dont roll the car in the sun to check for coverage. (we made this mistake whe wanted to see what was still needing paint.)

And yes the wheels will be black this weekend. We did this on Sunday and we where both fried when we finished.

Thanks

Hunter

Due to some recent body damage to include my wife backing into it, I was looking into doing charcoal grey on my coupe. Did you get the kit from dyc or did you use a different spray gun?

Hunter, what was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?

So I bought a Kit from DipyourCar.com. The Kit came with a spray gun and 4 gallons of paint. More then enough for a standard car. It was around $400. Gallons alone are around $50 each.

Due to some recent body damage to include my wife backing into it, I was looking into doing charcoal grey on my coupe. Did you get the kit from dyc or did you use a different spray gun?

Used the current gun they sell on DYC.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

I plan to paint the BBS wheels that I use for track days Black. I am interested in how it will hold up to the heat from heavy breaking etc.

This is the third incident involving a wife hitting the husband's Corvette! WTH...SMH...FML...OMG