Has anyone ever changed the motor mounts on a C5?

Corvette Kid

Corvette Kid

When I shut my new C5 off it has a quick little vibration as it shuts down, I am thinking motor mounts?? Any other suggestions? If it is the motor mounts, how difficult are they to change?

Quicksilver98

When I shut my new C5 off it has a quick little vibration as it shuts down, I am thinking motor mounts?? Any other suggestions? If it is the motor mounts, how difficult are they to change?

From what I have seen the C5 motor mounts are pretty stoudt.....I would look for something loose on the exhaust system. Loose clamp or bolt or hanger. If you have headers, sometimes the bolts back out a little. Make sure they are tight and the headers/flanges are not touching anything. They can make a hell of a racket if touching a frame rail or anything for that matter. I had a low RPM rattle at one time that only made noise at about 700-800 RPM. I thought it was the catalytic converters breaking up inside. Turned out to be cracked welds on the little metal tabs that go between the two catalytic converters. Put it up on a rack if possible and have someone under looking as you try recreating it. Good luck!

joe@cpr.com

6spd or auto car? if a 6spd push in the clutch pedal when you turn it off. unless you have very high mileage i doubt it's your motor mounts. not saying it can't be but if your lower mileage i doubt it. they are a bit of a pain, you lower the front subframe down while raising up the motor and basically wish them in lol.

Corvette Kid

1999 with 84k. 6 speed. It only vibrates when I shut the car down and just for like 1 second. But it feels fairly significant. 1999 with 84k. 6 speed. It only vibrates when I shut the car down and just for like 1 second. But it feels fairly significant.

Proper diagnosis is a huge part of the battle. Make sure you're dealing with a motor mount issue before you go replacing parts that may not need replacing. It is a logical conclusion, but it may not be the right one. Even if you end up doing the work yourself, if you're unsure have one of your local shops check it out first. It may save you money, time, and grief. Edited for typo :2cents

Take a hard look at the vibration dampener (harmonic balancer) on the car, known isse on the LS engines. If its OEM good chance you're looking at needing a new one. Look for a "wobble", some vertical movement is normal since its a viscous piece, if you see horizonal movement also then you have a problem Houston. Good luck!