Interior lights not coming on

zook62

I hope this is a quick fix... I have had a delay at random times in my dash and stereo lights coming on after I turn on my headlights at night. Tonight however, they would not come on at all with the lights on. So my whole dash, with the exception of the clock, was black. When I turn off the key they come back to life, so I know it's not that they are dead. I didn't see a light sensor on the dash, but that's not to say that there isn't... I just couldn't find it. The other thing I could think is that it may be a relay, and that when the head lights are turned in it is looking at another circuit..... In other words, I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Christian

I see you have a C5. I almost guarantee it is the ignition switch. It gets fouled and can be rebuilt.

Guest badbobs95

I have nothing productive to say other than nice color! Maybe CROWNROYAL will come on and say something stupid too. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image If you don't figure it out call Bruce at Corvette Performance and ask him. That guy has heard about all of the C5 problems. 480-921 1200

And don't forget .... a weak battery will cause all kinds of issues on our C5s .... the nature of the beast as they say ...... Posted Image

Battery is solid. It was replaced in the last few months and has been strong. I could go with it being either the light switch or the ignition switch... If I only knew what each of them was actually doing/triggering/initiating this certainly wouldn't take long. And yes you are correct it's a c5. I just find it interesting that all is well until you turn the car on completely. I guess I'll try turning the lights off with the ignition in accessory mode and see if they are still out. That would rule out the light switch if they came back on at that point, as I beleive that's what would normally happen.... Or is it?.... Or does that turn out the dash lights anyways.... Ok I don't know. Time to do some more research. I was hoping this would be one of those common failures.

I'm going to say its the multifunction switch (the one you use to turn on the lights). I had the same kind of issue. The contacts get worn and create some arcing. They can be cleaned and adjusted. I would do a search on CF, that's where I found out how to fix it.

What? No one is suggesting cleaning grounds? Lol

Guest badbobs95

What? No one is suggesting cleaning grounds? Lol

My grounds are fine. I just mowed the grass and sprayed the weeds last week! Posted Image

I'm going to say its the multifunction switch (the one you use to turn on the lights).

I had the same kind of issue. The contacts get worn and create some arcing. They can be cleaned and adjusted. I would do a search on CF, that's where I found out how to fix it.

This story just got a little stranger... and it's leading me to that switch. Just a moment ago I made a parts run for work. While I was out I noticed the turn signal was working intermittently. So just out of curiosity I turned the lights on to see if the dash lights were still not coming on... and much to my amusement only one of the head lamps flipped up. I checked them when I got stopped... the motor isn't even trying to turn and the lamp itself is on, just the motor not coming on to flip it up. I'm not sure how many individual contacts that switch has, but not knowing any better I'm definitely leaning that direction.

Just for the heck of it, depress the hazard switch on the dash like 20 times and see if the situation improves. A lot of those circuits from the multifunction switch also route through the hazard switch and it is a known issue of corrosion building up on THOSE contacts and wreaking havoc.

Just for the heck of it, depress the hazard switch on the dash like 20 times and see if the situation improves. A lot of those circuits from the multifunction switch also route through the hazard switch and it is a known issue of corrosion building up on THOSE contacts and wreaking havoc.

I will have to try that. Someone told me that's a common GM thing but I didn't know if it was all models or just older ones.