Too much hp to not share...

Big Poppa

So, a buddy of mine built a 77 celica drag car in his driveway. Used a junkyard 5.7 Vortec engine (didn't even rebuild it) and constructed his own turbo kit blowing through a carb. Some of the Tucson guys saw it when we ate at Hot Rods a month ago. Looks like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So far his best time was a 9.84 at 137mph. Never put it on a dyno so we didn't know how much the thing produced. Til today...

Posted Image

Never before in the history of dynos has a piece of paper said 1977 Toyota Celica, and 701.8(ft-lbs). Not ever.

Let's give it up to the rednecks!!!

I swear that first picture almost looks like a Chevelle

Maybe a Chevelle from Gila Bendover!! :smilelol

LMAO

I thought it looked like a sectioned mustang!

Wicked project tho

Sorry about the new tag line Larry, you earned it! :lol I hope your drive home wasn't to painful!

Final Effort

LMAO

I thought it looked like a sectioned mustang!

Wicked project tho

I also can see a 69 Cuda Fastback along with the above cars mentioned.

I agree it's a neet setup. I just wounder about the life of that bone yard

motor under the Turbos. If nothing else it's a great way to debug the combination

before installing a killer engine.

Ya, we all worry about the rock stock bottom end in that car, but he just says "I'll just turn up the boost til it blows" as he only has $200 in the longblock, but he turned it up to like 14 psi and it's holding just fine. It already runs 9's and pulls the front tires 3 feet in the air when it leaves. He has converter and drive-ability issues, or he'd probably turn it up farther. Part of me wants to drive it, but part of me has seen the tires and brakes etc and thinks better of it...

Part of me wants to drive it, but part of me has seen the tires and brakes etc and thinks better of it...

:smilelol

That's hilarious. What a great build. That's the kind of ride that takes pink-slips.

Bromley's Corvettes

Thats awesome and wait tell he gets a forged bottom end like a 427 and cranks up the boost. Back in the street racing days he would have made bank lol.

Pep Boys Speed Shop....... C'Mon Man! You know Nogales North is really hurtin for speeds shops when Pep Boys has one. LOL. That's badass that a car with less then a couple grand in it can get those types of #'s :thumbs

outstanding hot rod :) An 'E' ticket ride and love the way it looks .. would definitely clean up on a decent saturday nite :) -Frank

Guest racingchester

Son-in-law (locash racing) says he runs about 50 lb boost in 4th gear in his Integra. New car coming to Tucson Sunday...Will be interesting if he gets it dialed in....gonna be there....