2001 Vette with 3000 mi

roneva

Hey guys, a very good friend of mine has found a 2001 Vette Convt with only 3000 mi that he is thinking of buying from the original owner. I'm thinking of a car that has set for 12 years and if he starts driving even only 5000 mi per year he could have many problems. Am I over thinking this? Seems to me seals and everything else could cause many problems. I told him if he only wants to look at it, that would be ok, but if he wants to drive it, this may not be the one. Any input your experience could give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Crash Test Dummy

It really is a question of how it was maintained not just miles, if they started it once a month and took a short drive from time to time it should be ok. Did they change fluids every 6 months or is it original oil? Things like that will matter. I bought an 8 year old Z28 Camaro with the Lt1 motor, it was very low miles like this but the driver simply only took the car when going to golf. The car was maintained and started up at least once a month. I didnt have any issues with that car for the few years I owned it.

I agree with the above. Plus, tell him not to spend like crazy to get it. It's worth a few hundred bucks, maybe a grand more than a normal mile car of that year. These cars ain't collectible, a low mile car might be appealing, but not really worth a lot more.

Hey guys, a very good friend of mine ........

Holy Crap!!! Ron has friends :eek

Guest badbobs95

Hey guys, a very good friend of mine ........

Holy Crap!!! Ron has friends :eek

I think he's really a relative. Posted ImagePosted Image

Hey guys, a very good friend of mine has found a 2001 Vette Convt with only 3000 mi that he is thinking of buying from the original owner. I'm thinking of a car that has set for 12 years and if he starts driving even only 5000 mi per year he could have many problems. Am I over thinking this? Seems to me seals and everything else could cause many problems. I told him if he only wants to look at it, that would be ok, but if he wants to drive it, this may not be the one. Any input your experience could give would be appreciated. Thanks.

I agree with the others. Last year I bought a 1993 Trans Am with documented 4700 miles. The car was owned by the owner of a Pontiac dealership and it was maintained. As a result I have had no problem with it in any area. So like it has been stated it all depends on how well the car has been maintained. If the car has been sitting without being run for several years it is a good idea to drain the old gas and replace and also drain and replace the oil before trying to start it. Since it is a 2001 Corvette found that the dreaded steering column lock problem is often caused by a weak or faulty battery so no matter what I'd use a fresh battery to start the car to avoid potentially locking up the steering column.

• 1 month later...

My friend bought a 99 red convt with 61000 miles last week end. Thanks for your input. I'll try to get him to join up with ACE.