Flat Tire

Extender32

I went to back the car out of the garage this afternoon and I discovered that I had a flat left rear. I found what appears to be a screw or bolt on the inner tread. Is it possible to have the goodyear runflats plugged and still run safely "at speed" or is it better to replace the the rears all together? I have about 10.1K for milage on the tires and they appear to have plenty of tread left.

Quicksilver98

I have had good luck with patching/plugging as long as it was a small nail or screw and it was near the center of the tread. If its anything larger....such as a bolt etc. Or if its anywhere near the shoulder of the tire I wouldnt trust it. Just my 2 cents.

I went to back the car out of the garage this afternoon and I discovered that I had a flat left rear. I found what appears to be a screw or bolt on the inner tread. Is it possible to have the goodyear runflats plugged and still run safely "at speed" or is it better to replace the the rears all together? I have about 10.1K for milage on the tires and they appear to have plenty of tread left.

I'd get rid of the car and get a more reliable C4. Never had a flat on my car! Damm C6s!! :smilelol

I had a nail in my F1SC runflats. Under warranty they (Goodyear Tire Store) patched it. Said it did not affect speed rating. I saw 170+ with that tire. No issues. Roger

Last time I took a runflat to Discount Tire they said they would not plug or patch a runflat, because its not safe in their eyes. But that was a couple years ago, and I hope it doesnt happen anytime soon.

Quicksilver98

I had the same issue with discount tire. I don't take my flats there anymore. I'm tired of their BS story. I wore the last 2 tires out that I had patches in that discount tire wouldn't do. They were no where near the shoulder of the tire and were small completely repairable nail holes. These tires are too damn expensive to toss them out for small repairable nail holes. I guess selling new tires is more profitable for them.

Last time I took a runflat to Discount Tire they said they would not plug or patch a runflat, because its not safe in their eyes. But that was a couple years ago, and I hope it doesnt happen anytime soon.

Maybe Andrew or Big Poppa can confirm, but I thought the tire manufacturer would not stand behind the speed rating of the tire if it was patched.

Final Effort

I'd get rid of the car and get a more reliable C4. Never had a flat on my car! Damm C6s!! :smilelol

Larry; You are correct on the C4's not getting flats. My 88 that I gave to my son still has the

original spare that has never seen daylight. Not that He would ever use it.

On the Topic of Discount Tire. We can all thank people like. Lerner & Rowe for it not worth the

risk of doing the repair.

Guest badbobs95

I had the same issue with discount tire. I don't take my flats there anymore. I'm tired of their BS story. I wore the last 2 tires out that I had patches in that discount tire wouldn't do. They were no where near the shoulder of the tire and were small completely repairable nail holes. These tires are too damn expensive to toss them out for small repairable nail holes. I guess selling new tires is more profitable for them.

Posted Image, I patched a Michelin run flat and had no issues. Come on, what do you expect them to say? In this litigious society no one wants to get sued for repairing anything like a tire. Lawyers buy 3 million dollar homes by suing others. It's all about $ and responsibility. Posted Image

It's not just about litigation, it's about safety....it's about YOUR safety and the saftey of those around you, heck, what about the safety of your family???? Would you, any of you feel safe knowing that the car your about to pass at 130 could have a potential blow out due to a repair??? Just wonderin'.... BTW,a repair to a speed rated tire does degraded the speed rating when a patch is involved.

I would trust a patch over a plug. However I did plug a GY run flat.

The reason to patch a tire as opposed to a plug, is to inspect the tire from the inside to confirm the tire does not have any secondary damage within the tire. If a tire is low in pressure, there is a possibility of over heating, which would be obvious when the tire is dismounted but not so much from the outside. The interior sidewall will show cracks due to being run with low air pressure and overheating. Good on you Charlie! Stay safe brotha'!

I'll be gettin' in contact with you regarding my center console. I keep getting other projects in the way....

I've plugged mine myself everytime I got a nail, albeit they were not large nails in the center 1/3rd, never had an issue on the track or road.

It's not just about litigation, it's about safety....it's about YOUR safety and the saftey of those around you, heck, what about the safety of your family???? Would you, any of you feel safe knowing that the car your about to pass at 130 could have a potential blow out due to a repair??? Just wonderin'....

BTW,a repair to a speed rated tire does degraded the speed rating when a patch is involved.

So when it's degraded, who makes that determination of the new speed rating and how is it done?

Tom, I think the tire becomes a non speed rated tire. So use at your own risk is what the tire companies say.

Also, manufactures will downgrade, decrease or eliminate the speed rating because the tire has been compromised. To do a repair in a tire, some of the rubber needs to be buffed which will effect the speed capabilities in that area of the tire. For that reason, many tire manufactures will void a warranty if three or more repairs have been made to a tire.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont recomend patching or pluging runflats or zrated tires. there is too much risk in my line of work for that. also those tires are a pain to get back on the rim in one piece without chewing up the bead unless theyre new. (ive been burned before by them so i might just be partial)

Well the discount tire around the corner patched the tire with no problem. They did refer to a chart before they did so. Life is good!