c3 headlamp door electric conversion

corvettech

I'm working on a 1980 c3 thats been sitting for a long time. the owner is having problems with the headlight doors, the lights come on but the door on the left wont open and the door on the right is stuck up all the time, the vaccum lines are dry rotted, solonoids are brken at the nipples for the lines. my question is this, is there a kit out there to conver the vaccum operated headlight doors to electric? ive done one before on a camaro. being a dealership tech i dont usualy get cars this old and i dont feel to confident in vaccum operated devices, any advise would be greatly appreciated. :howdy

Bromley's Corvettes

I have heard someone makes a kit but I have not seen it. I do my own conversion where I put head lights in the grills and remove all stock vacuum parts so doors just stay down and look stock. Rebuilding the vac headlight system on a vette can be a project and on going if you dont replace everything at same time. You will be chasing vac leaks for ever.

When i had my '70, I tried to replace all the vacuum lines and ended up replacing almost all the actuators, valves and switches, too. What a huge job. At the end of the day, it mostly worked but sometimes did weird things. If one thing doesn't work right, the whole system has problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i talked with the client and 1k is a bit more than he was thinking on puting into the headlights. we will just rebuild the vaccume system instead. this should be interesting :confused

That link that Dawg shared looks interesting ..... and for not much cost .... pretty clever IMO