C 5 Gas gauge

Final Effort

Final Effort

I know the C5 has issues with the gas gauge. Two days after taking delivery of the car I filled it up with Chevron. All was fine till it got to just under half. Then gauge dropped To E and the check gauges light came on. Doing the math I was sure I was OK I drove Another 50 mile before filling up again with Chevron. The gauge when I turned on the Ign. Went to full as normal but settled on E again setting off the check gauges light again About 20 miles later gauge went up to full. This has happened twice now. I don't know what gas Ron used how long should I have to deal with this before I do More than run Chevron gas?

If its throwin a code .. There's another issue ... I'd pull the code ....

I'd also use teh fuel system cleaner, not just teh gas. Who knows what was run in it before you, and teh senders are probably sulphured-up pretty good.

That happened to me a few times also. The first time was on the way home from purchasing it. Scared me too. It would register down to about one third or quarter, then drop all the way to E. Since it didn't happen frequently, I ignored it. I usually refill at about one quarter or one third anyway. I usually bought gas at Costco, but Chevron when I could. I assumed it was just another C5 thing and didn't worry about it.

Tips for C5 fuel guage issues 1) go get about 4 20 oz bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner (NOT injector cleaner, it's different stuff) 2) Run 4 tanks of Chevron gasoline with a bottle of the Techron through it. I bet that'll take care of most of it. Ron took impeccable care of that car, however Costco fuel is not Top Tier fuel, the only places for that in Phoenix is Chevron (with all the added Techron creaminess) and Quiktrip. The Costco fuel is cheap for a reason. I had issues similar to what you describe when I bought my C5 and the above is exactly what I did and I've never had an issue since. Sulphur builds up on the contacts and the Techron cleans it. I now run almost exclusively Chevron, Quiktrip when I'm not near a Chevron, and a bottle of Techron about every 4th or 5th tank

I too had the issue and the Chevron thing took care of it .... but it never threw a code ... ???? isn't that concerning ???

Tips for C5 fuel guage issues

1) go get about 4 20 oz bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner (NOT injector cleaner, it's different stuff)

2) Run 4 tanks of Chevron gasoline with a bottle of the Techron through it.

I bet that'll take care of most of it.

Ron took impeccable care of that car, however Costco fuel is not Top Tier fuel, the only places for that in Phoenix is Chevron (with all the added Techron creaminess) and Quiktrip. The Costco fuel is cheap for a reason.

I had issues similar to what you describe when I bought my C5 and the above is exactly what I did and I've never had an issue since. Sulphur builds up on the contacts and the Techron cleans it. I now run almost exclusively Chevron, Quiktrip when I'm not near a Chevron, and a bottle of Techron about every 4th or 5th tank

Agree with all of that and while I've not had any fuel gauge issues, I practice the same methods to try and keep it at bay. With that said, I am curious about the Costco gas though. They quite recently changed their formulation, adding a bunch of detergents, etc. and I'd actually heard some rumblings from a couple places (including the big board, if memory serves) that Costco might jump into the Top Tier category with their gas after the changes. I've not heard anything/looked into it further since though. I wonder how long since the last Top Tier ratings came out?

I too had the issue and the Chevron thing took care of it .... but it never threw a code ... ???? isn't that concerning ???

Funny story about that. The gauge going to 0 when it's not reading properly is the code. No joke that's the way they set it up. Makes no sense lol. If the car hasn't received a signal from the tank in x time it just throws the needle to 0 so you know to check it. As mentioned above Techron usually cleans it up. In the most extreme cases the tank has to come out for the repair.

Guest racingchester

Have had my C5 for about 3 years and never have had a problem with Costco gas. Maybe lucky. Run Chevron once in a great while. Gauge has always worked correctly.

I use Shell on a relatively regular basis...and Chevron. Probably 2 times Shell, 1 time Chevron...dending since it's several miles further to get to the Chevron than the Shell station.

Have had my C5 for about 3 years and never have had a problem with Costco gas. Maybe lucky. Run Chevron once in a great while. Gauge has always worked correctly.

I use the Co as well,and my C5 did this when I first had it.

Ran the multiple bottles of Chevron and Berrymans cleaners,and all was well.

I would then add a bottle once a month or so and never had another issue.

Hopefully it helps you out.

I run a bottle of cleaner once every 10,000 miles And never had a problem.

Sam's Club usually has the Techron, 4 bottles for $20.00. It may take a liitle while (4 or 5 tanks of fuel) to get the deposits removed, but sounds typical. You might swing by LPM for an oil change and have them run diagnostic just to be sure. Also, add techron when the tank is low on fuel and then dump it in before adding fuel. The problem seems to be universal and we have all seen the issues resolved with patience and several bootles of Techron.

Final Effort

Thanks guys. The wife kind of freaked out at first. But I explained that I had read on here about the gauge troubles, and said we need Chevron gas to start off with.

Next is the CLB if you haven't done it. Let us know and I'm sure one of us will help you. I do the install for Arnold Palmers. :)

Column Lock Bypass. If the column still locks when the car is off there's a great chance it'll stay locked on you one day and you'll be stuck.

1) go get about 4 20 oz bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner (NOT injector cleaner, it's different stuff)

Ron took impeccable care of that car, however Costco fuel is not Top Tier fuel, the only places for that in Phoenix is Chevron (with all the added Techron creaminess) and Quiktrip. The Costco fuel is cheap for a reason.

I had issues similar to what you describe when I bought my C5 and the above is exactly what I did and I've never had an issue since. Sulphur builds up on the contacts and the Techron cleans it. I now run almost exclusively Chevron, Quiktrip when I'm not near a Chevron, and a bottle of Techron about every 4th or 5th tank

How do you know that Quiktrip has better gas?

How do you know that Quiktrip has better gas?

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html