C5 Stereo Upgrade

Grape Ape

So, yes, use an amp if you can. Yes your stereo will be louder and cleaner sounding. You will lose mid-bass or clarity. One or the other.

Would you really lose that much mid bass with decent, amp powered 6.5" components in the door?

So, yes, use an amp if you can. Yes your stereo will be louder and cleaner sounding. You will lose mid-bass or clarity. One or the other.

Would you really lose that much mid bass with decent, amp powered 6.5" components in the door?

Depends on how the crossover works. Running 80-250 hz and 250 and up through the same speaker will tend to distort the 250 and up, so you have to dial out the mid-bass to keep everything clean and clear. Best to run subs, mid-bass speakers, mids and tweeters if you want the best sound. but who has the space or money for that, so you run everything through one speaker and decide if you want loud and clear, or a bunch of mid-bass. In a 4runner I had a few years back I had 6 1/2" free air woofers set up for mid-bass alongside 5" mids and tweets, and it sounded awesome. Made my own crossover network to trim the sound going to each speaker just as I wanted it. In my vette I just dialed out some mid-bass to keep it clean.

Depends on how the crossover works. Running 80-250 hz and 250 and up through the same speaker will tend to distort the 250 and up, so you have to dial out the mid-bass to keep everything clean and clear. Best to run subs, mid-bass speakers, mids and tweeters if you want the best sound. but who has the space or money for that, so you run everything through one speaker and decide if you want loud and clear, or a bunch of mid-bass. In a 4runner I had a few years back I had 6 1/2" free air woofers set up for mid-bass alongside 5" mids and tweets, and it sounded awesome. Made my own crossover network to trim the sound going to each speaker just as I wanted it. In my vette I just dialed out some mid-bass to keep it clean.

OK, that's what I figured. In the end, pros still outweigh the cons. On a slightly related subject, what are your opinions on running the backs? IME, especially in vehicles with the kind of cabin room that a Vette has, it was always preferred to really just have a front sound stage and subs. At least on the big board though, it seems EVERYONE is running rear fill. To take it a step further, I predominately see them running them off separate channels of the amp instead of just using the head unit to power them. I've always kind of been on the fence about which I preferred but I'm wondering if there are some weird acoustical anomalies with the Vette that I'm not catching?

I like rear fill, so I run rear speakers when I can. In my vert, it is so closed off that a lot of that sound will be lost back there, so I run a 6.5 and a 5.25 in the door with a tweeter in the A-pillar, and a tweet behind the seats in the factory spot. So most all the fill is up front, but I get some sound from the back, and there is still PLENTY tweeter up front. And I agree with your statement that the pros outweigh the cons. I only brought it up as Marc said he wanted more in the low to mid range, and that's not really what he will accomplish if he loses the factory 8's in the doors.

Going to slowly upgrade the stereo in the C5. I want to add the speakers first and was wondering if I should run new wiring or is the factory wiring sufficient enough? I'm not going to go overboard and install the latest and greatest stuff. Just something that is mid level and better then what I have now. It's not factory but sounds like doggy doo doo. No need to break the windows out either. I'm not a stereo buff by any means so speak the Queens English for me please. Not sure if I am going with the boom boom speaker or an amp either. Probably not though. Really no need for it as my ears already have a permanent ring in them from work. As for the receiver, I have been talking with some people at the Friday evening gathering and seems the flip up screen might be the way to go. Like the Kenwood. That way I can have the DVD if I want it. I have a hydrocarbon surround so I don't really want to redo it and spend another $500 to get that done for the double din. Need something that will fit into the factory opening and look good. Any thoughts on receivers will be taken as well.

Thanks for all your input (good or bad) and have a great day....

Add pioneer sound system with bose speakers. You will get awesome sound quality within affordable prices

Going to slowly upgrade the stereo in the C5. I want to add the speakers first and was wondering if I should run new wiring or is the factory wiring sufficient enough? I'm not going to go overboard and install the latest and greatest stuff. Just something that is mid level and better then what I have now. It's not factory but sounds like doggy doo doo. No need to break the windows out either. I'm not a stereo buff by any means so speak the Queens English for me please. Not sure if I am going with the boom boom speakers or an amp either. Probably not though. Really no need for it as my ears already have a permanent ring in them from work. As for the receiver, I have been talking with some people at the Friday evening gathering and seems the flip up screen might be the way to go. Like the Kenwood. That way I can have the DVD if I want it. I have a hydrocarbon surround so I don't really want to redo it and spend another $500 to get that done for the double din. Need something that will fit into the factory opening and look good. Any thoughts on receivers will be taken as well.

Thanks for all your input (good or bad) and have a great day....

Add pioneer sound system with bose speakers. You will get awesome sound quality within affordable prices

Which system are you planning to purchase?

Well, after all the info from here and a guy I hang out with on Friday nights that knows stereos, I am looking at getting the Kenwood single din KDC-X995 along with some JL speakers and a couple amps and a sub. Not sure on the sub yet though. Thought really hard about going the double din dvd nav route but have decided that's not for me. My wife and a couple other people don't want me to tear up the bezel that I have hydrocarbon on and have to redo it. So that's the plan for tonight. Tomorrow is another day and I might change my mind again. Who knows. :facepalm:

For the love of God, go to a stereo shop and listen to some head units and speakers. You absolutely can not make an informed decision on any audio product without listening to it firsthand. Do not make any purchases until you complete this step. What sounds good to one person can sound terrible to another. Audition your equipment! Unless you need built-in navigation, I'd steer clear of a double-DIN head unit. You'll save some money.

I agree with all the above.

Same here although I do have some caveats:

With very few exceptions, the head unit in a car won't have that appreciable of an impact in sound quality. Feature set, appearance and quality are the real deciding factors.

Speakers will have a secondly variable impact on sound but you'll never totally know what they are going to sound like if they're not installed.

While I don't really care about navigation and love to save money, damn. Double Dins with a modded bezel look pretty sick. Not a cheap option for sure, though

I actually have been doing some window shopping. Been listening to some when I get the chance over the last year or so. I do like the double din look and can do without the nav part as well. Not in the budget right now so maybe later. Going with single din for now.

I actually have been doing some window shopping. Been listening to some when I get the chance over the last year or so. I do like the double din look and can do without the nav part as well. Not in the budget right now so maybe later. Going with single din for now.

I think you'll like the planned up coming improvements!

Have you played with many of the K-woods?

I like that for the most part they work well,but really dislike most of their user interfaces.

I have a K-wood KDC-BT945U in my beater,in front of a MTX Jackhammer 4X100,running Infinity 6 1/2's in the doors,and bridging the rear for a JL 8.

It sounds great,but the head unit is horrible for trying to change radio stations,or bands,or sources with out taking your eyes seriously off the road,so you wind up having to suck it up and listen to what ever until you come to a safe place to take your attention away form the road.

I have an Alpine in the Copper beast,thats much more user freindly and also works and sounds great!

May wind up getting another Alpine for the red rumbler to replace the K-wood,as Iv'e always like the Alpines and how they work much more so than many others out there.

Just my 2 cents :thumbs

Going to have to put this on hold for now. Had to spend my money on a new work cart as the one I have would not be cost affective to fix.

Going to have to put this on hold for now. Had to spend my money on a new work cart as the one I have would not be cost affective to fix.

Sorry to hear buddy.

Just means more time for research!

• 1 month later...

to fear bumping an old thread. i figured i would chime in with the setup going in my vette next week maybe add to the info here.

Headunit i currently have the kenwood KDC x996. I love it, controls my android PERFECTLY over bluetooth. controls pandora which is a major plus for me seeing as thats what i listen to mostly because i hate the local radio stations. and cds get old after a while.

Im kinda debating selling it and getting a pioneer deh-80prs. 3stage. it would make my stereo sound about as good as it can get. as im amping the tweeters and the mids separately and it has a mic so it can autotune my equalizer and timing automatically . the downside: i loose control of pandora. so 6 of one half a dozen of the other. i guess it depends how much i could get for the kenwood if i did sell it...

mids and tweeters i have a set of Focal ps165 components. I had them in my last car and they are getting transfered over along with the headunit and they are all getting powered by a Focal solid 4 amp

sub is a single 12" sundown SD-12 dual 2ohm voicecoil in a 1cuft sealed box that fits in the big cubby. powered by a kenwood excelon KAC-X811D wired down to 4ohms @ 533w rms 1066w peak

im also doing like bigpoppa and adding some rear fill speakers just a cheap set of hybrid audios no external amp just running the decks output.

If you want to come down and listen to it once its in you are more than welcome Im hoping it will sound good.

The more info in here the better I say. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I have being installed by CPR next week, among other things:

Kenwood X997

Focal P25DB and Corner sub box

Arc Audio XDI 6.2 Component Speakers

Arc Audio XDI 502 Coax Speakers

Kenwood X700/5 5 Channel Amp

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Going to keep my door 8" speakers and I have some jl C2 3.5" on order for the other ones in the doors. I will be ordering a set of jl coax 6.5" also for the backs. I also installed a Soundstream single DIN 5.3" touchscreen DVD. The sound is okay and much better than the other one I had in there. Not going to put in an amp since I don't really need it. Looks like I am going to be on the cheap with this for a while. I have a video I made of the install for the head unit if you want me to post it..

Going to keep my door 8" speakers and I have some jl C2 3.5" on order for the other ones in the doors. I will be ordering a set of jl coax 6.5" also for the backs. I also installed a Soundstream single DIN 5.3" touchscreen DVD. The sound is okay and much better than the other one I had in there. Not going to put in an amp since I don't really need it. Looks like I am going to be on the cheap with this for a while. I have a video I made of the install for the head unit if you want me to post it..

Tease!

K here it is whether you wont to watch it or not. About 9.5 minutes LONG.......

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd chip in a bit, I have the factory Bose w/12 disc changer. I bought a high-level input converter from the local stereo place (Best Buy has em for 15 bux) I tied this into the rear speakers and it gave me rca outputs for an amp.I found a Rockford Fosgate P3 12" sub in a factory sealed box that was for a reg cab truck. It fits perfect in the center just behind the seats and gives just enough room for the top to still fit in the back. I went a little overboard on the amp just because I got everything cheap on Craigslist, but WOW what a difference! It makes the factory speakers even seem to sound better. This worked excellent & if anyone would like some pics or more info, let me know. I am considering changing to a double din deck, but two things kinda make me Leary, 1. I've heard you have to "chop up" some behind factory radio to make it fit :/ 2. I don't want it to look cheap(different color knobs etc) anybody have some good experience with this? Any info would be greatfully appreciated

... I am considering changing to a double din deck, but two things kinda make me Leary, 1. I've heard you have to "chop up" some behind factory radio to make it fit :/ ... Any info would be greatfully appreciated

The oem radio is short, so the rear support bracket has a ear/tab that is just as shallow. It has to be cut to allow deeper aftermarket units. A 90degree elbow attachment on a dremel makes quick work of that, The bracket is aluminum. I tried just taking out the cross piece that has the ear/tab as its mounted to the larger support at the sides, but it was just easier to cut off the ear/tab.

Posted Image