C5 Stereo Upgrade

Grape Ape

Going to slowly upgrade the stereo in the C5. I want to add the speakers first and was wondering if I should run new wiring or is the factory wiring sufficient enough? I'm not going to go overboard and install the latest and greatest stuff. Just something that is mid level and better then what I have now. It's not factory but sounds like doggy doo doo. No need to break the windows out either. I'm not a stereo buff by any means so speak the Queens English for me please. Not sure if I am going with the boom boom speaker or an amp either. Probably not though. Really no need for it as my ears already have a permanent ring in them from work. As for the receiver, I have been talking with some people at the Friday evening gathering and seems the flip up screen might be the way to go. Like the Kenwood. That way I can have the DVD if I want it. I have a hydrocarbon surround so I don't really want to redo it and spend another $500 to get that done for the double din. Need something that will fit into the factory opening and look good. Any thoughts on receivers will be taken as well. Thanks for all your input (good or bad) and have a great day....

That makes 3 of us. Cant wait to hear and see your new system. I think big poppa (we still calling him that? Isnt he medium poppa now?) is the go to guy for audio.

Guest badbobs95

I have the stock Bose with the 12 disk changer that I didn't want to loose. I called Crutchfield and talked with a guy there for a long time. He suggested new rear speakers (JL's) and a small amp. OMG, what a difference! I can actually hear the rear speakers now and plenty of base too. I think it sounds great and I spent about $150 on the whole thing. Good luck Mark.

Oh, Dwayne said he has a great deck he wants to sell, brand new. You can trust him when it comes to audio. Posted Image

If we are talking about the same Duane then he is the one I have been talking to. I will have to ask him about the receiver. Hope he's there Friday.

Thanks Joe. Might be in touch soon. Government refund coming shortly so might spend more then I want. Anyone else have any reviews on this subject? My car didn't come with the CD changer, just the CD player and it doesn't have the wiring necessary to install one either. Already checked that out.

"Will the factory wiring be enough" can only be answered by what you rend goal is, and if you'll be adding in again and again as time goes. If you're gonna do a head unit and some door speakers and live a happy life, the factory wiring is fine. If you're gonna do amps and subs and component speakers etc, then no, you wanna use all new wiring. I would say, much like bad Bob said, if you can add an amp, absolutely do so. Even a small amp will produce more, cleaner sound than a head unit ever will. Buy good quality components, especially the speakers. The speakers produce the sound, so get good ones. Also, try to match the speakers to the power level they will run at. If you're not gonna run a ton of power, don't buy the top of the line speakers designed for 200 watts a channel. Get Good quality components for the front doors that are mid-level for that line, and good coax's for the rear. I find at lower power levels the uber capable speakers are less efficient and produce less sound.

Thanks BP. Factory wiring will do just fine for what I want then. Anyone have thoughts on the flip up screen? Good or bad. What brand and whatever else you may like or dislike. BadBob, what JL's did you get and what amp? The price sounds pretty good. As for the front speakers, should I just get a decent coax or one that comes with the extra twitter? (Yes, it's spelled wrong, just trying to be funny.) Sorry...... :lol

Go for components in the front. The ones with the extra twitter... And coax in the rear. If you go on ebay you will find guys that sell adapter plates so you can run a 6 1/2" and twitter in the place of the factory door speakers. Or you can put the twitters up in the A-pillar next to where the defrost vent is for the side window. that's where I put mine and they sound great. If you put them in the factory door spot your knee is always covering it.

Going to slowly upgrade the stereo in the C5. I want to add the speakers first and was wondering if I should run new wiring or is the factory wiring sufficient enough? I'm not going to go overboard and install the latest and greatest stuff. Just something that is mid level and better then what I have now. It's not factory but sounds like doggy doo doo. No need to break the windows out either. I'm not a stereo buff by any means so speak the Queens English for me please. Not sure if I am going with the boom boom speaker or an amp either. Probably not though. Really no need for it as my ears already have a permanent ring in them from work. As for the receiver, I have been talking with some people at the Friday evening gathering and seems the flip up screen might be the way to go. Like the Kenwood. That way I can have the DVD if I want it. I have a hydrocarbon surround so I don't really want to redo it and spend another $500 to get that done for the double din. Need something that will fit into the factory opening and look good. Any thoughts on receivers will be taken as well.

Thanks for all your input (good or bad) and have a great day....

I have the Kenwood flip out DVD, which is really cool because when it is closed it looks like a low end CD player - and the face comes off for additional theft deterrant. I kept the factory speaker grills, but stuck some Boston Acoustic speakers behind them and an Alpine amp behind the pasenger seat. I also have a BA passive sub that helps out with the lows - I don't use it much because it occcupies too much space, but is really nice for long cruises when I can crank up a movie or some tunes.

I know Chad can also give some great suggestions - but avoid the $1 install, for God's sake.

Overall, not an over the top stereo, but a huge upgrade from the factory GM / Delco model, and it does have the James Bond "COOL FACTOR" when the DVD scren comes sliding out of the front of the dash and flips up!

Hey guys, just get a louder exhaust system and listen to your cars. When I was thinking about selling my car I actually had to turn on the radio to see if it even worked. That is the only time I've had it on in the last 2.5 years. The engine is music to my ears! :3gears:

Guest badbobs95

Thanks BP. Factory wiring will do just fine for what I want then.

Anyone have thoughts on the flip up screen? Good or bad. What brand and whatever else you may like or dislike.

BadBob, what JL's did you get and what amp? The price sounds pretty good.

As for the front speakers, should I just get a decent coax or one that comes with the extra twitter? (Yes, it's spelled wrong, just trying to be funny.) Sorry...... :lol

OK, Blaupinkt GTA 2 Special - x2 85 W per channel or 160 W x1. Also bought the wiring kit.

JBL GT-6 speakers these are 6 3/4 inch that fit in 6 1/2 inch space, whatever!

He said both were half price on sale. Call Crutchfield if you want and just talk to a rep.

That is the only time I've had it on in the last 2.5 years.

Admit it Larry, you leave the radio off so you can hear the parts falling off that old vette...

Admit it Larry, you leave the radio off so you can hear the parts falling off that old vette...

True, but at least I keep mine on the road!! :facepalm:

True, but at least I keep mine on the road!! :facepalm:

:scareddriver:

'Nother amp question. Can I get a small amp and hook it up to the back of the receiver without getting a sub? Will that give a bit of boost to the receiver? Do the speakers hook up to the amp or will they get their power through the head unit?

As the factory has it, the 3 1/2" door speakers and rear speakers are powered by the head unit, and the 8" door speakers have their own amp. I'm not sure what you're looking for with your above question. You want more loud? Trying for more bass? What is the goal? Yes you can get a PAC adapter and hook up an amp to do whatever you want with it. Running the factory speakers off that amp however would be an exercise in futility. Totally wasted money.

OK, here's what I want to do and hope it works. Aftermarket head unit and replace all speakers with aftermarket as well with no sub. Just want something that will be a little louder and sound better in the lower to mid volume area. Would the head unit improve with an amp connected to it? Would it give it a little more power?

OK, here's what I want to do and hope it works. Aftermarket head unit and replace all speakers with aftermarket as well with no sub. Just want something that will be a little louder and sound better in the lower to mid volume area. Would the head unit improve with an amp connected to it? Would it give it a little more power?

Oh yea....suggested for better sound @ all levels.

OK good. So the head unit will benefit from having an amp hooked to it without a sub. Then I will see what I can find in the amp section.

OK... I think you are looking at things crooked. Either the head unit powers the speakers or the amp does. The amp doesn't "help" the head unit. It will sound better with a 4 channel amp powering the speakers than if the head unit was powering them, but it's one or the other. And there is a very good chance, almost certain, that even though your stereo will sound better, you will lose bass. The stock 8" door speakers are pretty good at producing mid-bass. that's why they are there. They are muddy, and in general I think they sound terrible, but they do produce a lot of mid-bass. And that is gonna go away when you replace the speakers. I have found over the years that mid-bass is the hardest frequency range to get sounding good without distorting everything else as you really have to have a mid-bass driver doing just that to reproduce those frequencies cleanly. So, yes, use an amp if you can. Yes your stereo will be louder and cleaner sounding. You will lose mid-bass or clarity. One or the other.

Thanks for clearing that up. The speakers need to be hooked to the amp if I get one or don't get one and use the head unit to power them. Got it. That's what I was wondering. :thumbs Like I said, I am stupid when it comes to stereos and what they need. :confused

Going to slowly upgrade the stereo in the C5. I want to add the speakers first and was wondering if I should run new wiring or is the factory wiring sufficient enough? I'm not going to go overboard and install the latest and greatest stuff. Just something that is mid level and better then what I have now. It's not factory but sounds like doggy doo doo. No need to break the windows out either. I'm not a stereo buff by any means so speak the Queens English for me please. Not sure if I am going with the boom boom speaker or an amp either. Probably not though. Really no need for it as my ears already have a permanent ring in them from work. As for the receiver, I have been talking with some people at the Friday evening gathering and seems the flip up screen might be the way to go. Like the Kenwood. That way I can have the DVD if I want it. I have a hydrocarbon surround so I don't really want to redo it and spend another $500 to get that done for the double din. Need something that will fit into the factory opening and look good. Any thoughts on receivers will be taken as well.

Add pioneer sound system with bose speakers. You will get awesome sound quality within affordable prices

Add pioneer sound system with bose speakers. You will get awesome sound quality within affordable prices