Home Improvement: The Backyard

SL1D3R

My family has a rather large, undeveloped backyard that needs some tender lovin. I was hoping some of you could provide me with ideas or point me to a website/company that can provide us with suggestions. My mother would like some grass. I would like a nice BBQ area and a pool. We also would like to include a casitas into the plan. My grandparents are getting older and we need a place for them to stay. I'll try to post some pictures of my backyard, so you can get an idea of what I have to work with. Thanks.

it depends on your house and the current realestate market. If you live in a shit hole $80K home. then by doing $40K worth of landscaping (pool =$30K dirt/grass/water =$10K) you will NOT see your home net value increase $120K More like $85K to $90K. so do some research of the price RANGE of homes in your area. Find the upper limit number. Find what your current home is worth. that will tell you how much money you have (within reason) for the project. then that will define what type of backyard y ou will have. there is a BIG difference from a $18K play pool and a waterfall Grotto $45K pool. my 2 cts. oh and for the nay sayers, yes yes I KNOW you will LOOSE money on a pool, but only a retarded man would put a $45K McMansion Huge Hefner Pool in a $80K home. My suggestion is only for a starting point.

Last guy i saw lose money in a pool was Dawg. Lost about 85 cents in cahd's pool...

it depends on your house and the current realestate market.

If you live in a shit hole $80K home. then by doing $40K worth of landscaping (pool =$30K dirt/grass/water =$10K) you will NOT see your home net value increase $120K

More like $85K to $90K.

so do some research of the price RANGE of homes in your area. Find the upper limit number.

Find what your current home is worth.

that will tell you how much money you have (within reason) for the project.

then that will define what type of backyard y ou will have.

there is a BIG difference from a $18K play pool and a waterfall Grotto $45K pool.

my 2 cts.

oh and for the nay sayers, yes yes I KNOW you will LOOSE money on a pool, but only a retarded man would put a $45K McMansion Huge Hefner Pool in a $80K home. My suggestion is only for a starting point.

I think the upper bracket in our neighborhood is around $350k.

Look around your neieghbor hood and get an Idea of what others have done. Then lay out your Ideas on your plan. There are software plannig programs, they will help you. Also talk to some real landscape designers, If most of the homes in your area are in 350K area you will probably spend aroud 35 t0 50K on your back yard, not including the Casita ( they are a completely different cost. Good luck with the project....

ok as i suspected. corner lot. my advise is to use Zillow.com and find the price range of similar SQ Footage homes in your area compared to your home. ok so your home is work $280K (guessing) and others Top end are at $340K. That puts your land scaping ball park budget at $60K +/- figure on $40K for a pool and $20K for back yard. The biggest mistake you can make is trying to put grass every where. Keep the grass to a minimum. Use Fence and bushes to separate areas. example: use a large strip of land behind teh RV gate as "Workshop, RV parking, and outside storage" area. That right there will shave off 30% of your back yard that you will have to add Grass/rock/pavers. instead add a visual barrier so guests do not see the "Storage lot" and let the dirt and weeds grow.

Write down a list of things you would like to see incorporated into the backyard, pool, grass, casita. Call several landscapers that have in-house design. Let them do the vision for you and pick the one you like best. No need to do it all at once. The designers will come up with things you never thought of. They will also get the right plants for the use vs. Jose from UDA landscaping putting whatever plants they have left over from previous job. Best to get the overall design done at first or it can look like it was thrown together.

......... you will NOT see your home net value increase $120K

what if its about enjoying it now? To hell with what it might bring in resale.....

what if its about enjoying it now? To hell with what it might bring in resale.....

I never said anything against the enjoyment value.

that is the next phase of discussion.

example

Pool costs $35K

Home resale value increases by $10K with a pool

soooo.. you will loose $25K.

divide that out over 5 years = $5000 per year or $416 per month.

ask your self "It is REALLY worth $416 per month?.. Would I rather have a corvette payment?"

or you know you will be there for 30 years = $833 per year or $69 per month.

the point by doing this exersize puts a dollar/value/enjoyment number to the table and gives you perspective.

and you (or anyone) believes 'to hell with resale value' then you are a total fool.

and you (or anyone) believes 'to hell with resale value' then you are a total fool.

Do you remember where I live?

I don't think a 40K pool will improve my resale value with the ether smell wafting over the fence every Tuesday and Friday!

Dawg...50 yrs from now Gila Bend could be prime RE in a suburb of Phx. Who'd have thought Buckeye, Avondale or Tolleson would have developed 50 yrs ago?

I won't be here in 50 years, 11 more years on the RR and this town can kiss my butt.. BTW, is it to early to announce that the LAST GB BBQ will be in the year 2024 ??? We'll have to see where we move before a new name is picked... :lol

We have a simular back yard issue .... wayyyyy too much real estate ..... but, the pool was in when we got here .... we divided it off (as stated earlier) and a lot of the left over is in tree & fruit trees ... and bogies and other such bushes .... We too thought about 1) Expanding the house 2) adding a detached studio/guest house 3) adding a detached garage/shop ... the problem is as Chad has stated, the neighborhood won;'t support the investment .... So now we just livin with the stated above, with an added rose garden, a patch of grass and a whole lot of trimmin & upkeep ..... :facepalm: Big lots have their down side for sure ..... though is does help the home value ..... if kept well ..... (( damn weeds :banghead ))

My 2 cents. I would just do a fenced in area with a 15K pool with rock slide and sprayers, some palms with landscape rock on some small little mounds and a casita, Then landscape rock the rest... except where you put the man cave with lift. rocks help keep the pool filters from clogging up with blowing dirt. Grass is to high maintenance for me.But that's just me. I also believe you can't put a price tag on good memories of get togethers with family and friends at your own home.

We have a simular back yard issue .... wayyyyy too much real estate ..... but, the pool was in when we got here .... we divided it off (as stated earlier) and a lot of the left over is in tree & fruit trees ... and bogies and other such bushes .... We too thought about 1) Expanding the house 2) adding a detached studio/guest house 3) adding a detached garage/shop ... the problem is as Chad has stated, the neighborhood won;'t support the investment ....

So now we just livin with the stated above, with an added rose garden, a patch of grass and a whole lot of trimmin & upkeep ..... :facepalm:

Big lots have their down side for sure ..... though is does help the home value ..... if kept well ..... (( damn weeds :banghead ))

I would love to see a picture of your backyard.

I never said anything against the enjoyment value.

that is the next phase of discussion.

example

Pool costs $35K

Home resale value increases by $10K with a pool

soooo.. you will loose $25K.

divide that out over 5 years = $5000 per year or $416 per month.

ask your self "It is REALLY worth $416 per month?.. Would I rather have a corvette payment?"

or you know you will be there for 30 years = $833 per year or $69 per month.

the point by doing this exersize puts a dollar/value/enjoyment number to the table and gives you perspective.

I enjoyed my first two wives for a few years, but got nothing for the resale value. I'm enjoying the third one so much, I won't even rent her out.

Oh wait.... are you still talking about houses?

In that case, you're not old enough to understand what resale means when living in the home you'll die in.

In that case, you're not old enough to understand what resale means when living in the home you'll die in.

Increase in age does not mean increasing wisdom or intelligence as demonstrated by your posts.

please don't hijack this thread to make barbs at me.

Increase in age does not mean increasing wisdom or intelligence as demonstrated by your posts.

Says the f'n Teapot, Get up on the wrong side of cage this morning Chad? Please!

Says the f'n Teapot, Get up on the wrong side of cage this morning Chad? Please!

:funnypost::thumbs