Weirdest issue!

aenigma

I haven't started my vette in at least 3 weeks. I decided to take it out tonight and started it. A warning saying "service traction sys" and a warning saying "reduced engine power" alternated back and forth. I couldn't rev it past 2 no matter how hard I tried and the engine sounded totally abnormal. I've never seen anything like this before. Any reason?

Ya, it's a C5. Try restarting. If that don't help, grab the wires inside the rubber accordian in the driver door jamb and yank them back and forth. If that don't help, have Marco check your grounds. If that don't help, start drinkin.

It could, but typically once the engine is turning the alternator will produce plenty of electricity.

On the Corvette Forum; i was getting this a couple times a week. cleaning the grounds on all the engine bay electrical connections and cleaning any corrosion inside the connectors made it never happen again. not saying this is the case for everyone but it seemed to solve it for me.

Regardless, sitting for 3 weeks will discharge your battery significantly, these things are very sensitive to battery condition. Start with the easy, put the battery on a trickle charger and get that back to normal. Then I'd also take a look at the battery terminals, grounds, then that door accordian.

For as often as you drive the car it's time to explore a battery tender to keep the charge up and not have to think about it.

A voltage drop on the ECM when cranking will do all kinds of wonky things. As suggested, clean the terminals really well, charge the battery, and leave a trickle charger on it of you are going to let it sit more than a week. I'm installing battery tender pig tails on all my cars so it's simple to just plug it in. Like a Chevy Volt, only not ghey.

Drive your car more!!!!!

That would mean work less. I wish I could figure out how to do that! :lol

Drive your car more!!!!!

Exactly! That's my problem too.

The last time I drove it was the last corvette lunch. It may have been longer than 3 weeks now that I think about it.

I didn't think it could be the battery because it started, even though it didn't turn over quickly. I thought as long as it turns over, the battery should then be out of the picture. Apparently not.

I left last night, came back and tried again and it fired right up. The battery is making sense. I'll have that checked.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear it could be an inexpensive issue.

Drive your car more!!!!!

Exactly! That's my problem too.

The last time I drove it was the last corvette lunch. It may have been longer than 3 weeks now that I think about it.

I didn't think it could be the battery because it started, even though it didn't turn over quickly. I thought as long as it turns over, the battery should then be out of the picture. Apparently not.

I left last night, came back and tried again and it fired right up. The battery is making sense. I'll have that checked.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear it could be an inexpensive issue.

There is a reason they call is electrical theory and not electrical fact :lol A battery can show voltage but not have necessary capacity or continuity to keep the computers happy, creamy, and delicious

Ive seen these cars wig out just from the battery being a little low or a loose terminal. Id check there first then move down the line with what the others suggested.

Mo, you can either listen to these yahoo's or sell it and get a C6!!!

If you can't afford it just up Dawgs insurance premiums and take a little more commission.

If you can't afford it just up Dawgs insurance premiums and take a little more commission.

Hahaha! No.

Drive your car more!!!!!

No one has ever laid on their death bed and said "my one regret is I wish I'd worked more." Just sayin' :howdy

Nothing says you can't drive it to work. :toetap I do a couple times a week...and I work at a high school in downtown Glendale.

If feel so sorry for all of you with your fancy C5s and C6s. When I was in Albania for the better part of a year I let my car sit for up to 9 weeks at a time with no battery tender. Get home, start it up and take off like I had driven it every day during that period. Once again the "throw away" generation rules!! :rockon2:

If feel so sorry for all of you with your fancy C5s and C6s. When I was in Albania for the better part of a year I let my car sit for up to 9 weeks at a time with no battery tender. Get home, start it up and take off like I had driven it every day during that period. Once again the "throw away" generation rules!! :rockon2:

I let my C2 sit for over a year and it still started with no tender. It was a brand new battery the time before but it dd start.

My C6 is gonna sit for over two weeks while we're in Australia. We'll see if it starts.

Well wish me luck. The next time I drive it is on the long haul to Gila Bend. Ya'll may be pickin me up from the side of the road.

Well wish me luck. The next time I drive it is on the long haul to Gila Bend. Ya'll may be pickin me up from the side of the road.

I'm sure you will not have any trouble, at least not getting picked up from the side of the road! :facepalm:

If feel so sorry for all of you with your fancy C5s and C6s.

The panties that drop when a C5 or C6 drives by...

Posted Image

The panties that drop when a C4 drives by.....

Posted Image

If feel so sorry for all of you with your fancy C5s and C6s.

The panties that drop when a C5 or C6 drives by...

Posted Image

The panties that drop when a C4 drives by.....

Posted Image

Does your wife know that was what your were thinking when you got your C6? By the way, I thought you had to cook Missy, get back to work!