91 vs E85 tunes and Wastegate vs Restrictor plate for blowers

Jon

My car goes to CPR next week to have an A&A T-trim installed on my LS3 stick shift car. It currently has a 3.8" pulley, which is probably around 8-10psi and about the limit of what I can do on 91 octane. I will be using a stock size 7.5" damper, so that puts my blower rpm at 46184 at 6500rpm. A 3.6" would be 48750 and 3.4" would be 51618. The V2 T-trim is rated for 55000rpm, so I'm good there. I really like the benefits of E85, especially during the hot months here. It makes road trips hard though. Could I run a smaller pulley with an inlet restricter and a 91 octane tune for road trips? Or would running a wastegate on the inlet piping be a better idea? Would the Precision 46mm gate be enough? Then just put in like a 7psi spring when I want to run pump gas. The inlet restrictor seems easier and simpler to me. Cheaper too. The ECS Novi 1500 kits come with a restrictor and a 3.25" pulley. The one guy I know back east makes 589/572 on 93 octane and a safe tune with one on a LS3 car. He was over 600rwhp, but backed it down a couple degrees of timing. My fuel system will consist of an external Walbro 255lph pump and a boost referenced return with the stock LS3 pump in the tank. Will I need to run the boost a pump also if I do E85? 103lb FIC injectors will be used. Injectors: http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=37 I'm planning on using the AEM failsafe wideband which also displays boost. It has an output that can either trigger a wastegate solenoid or a timing retard. I was thinking I could put a resister in line with the IAT sensor that is triggered by a relay off of the failsafe gauge. Then have that value in the tune be the timing retard if I go too lean or rich.

When A&A installed my system they used a boost a pump. I later added METHENAL injection (Alkey Control) and had my IAT sensor relocated to the rear of the intake manifold. I was told it would give a more accurate reading in the event my system stopped spraying. Then the timing would be reduced thus adding another fail safe to the light and gauge monitoring. I found it worked well as I had a bad connector plug at one race track and there was now motor damage when the spray did not activate. I do notice the power loss in the summer time as temps soar. But it is what it is. Good bang for you buck power multiplier. I redused my pully size on my vortex vs-2 kit from factory size 3.8 to 3.6 when I put a blower cam in. I could have gone one more size smaller however when I got back to the much colder temps of the SF Bayarea. It would have increased my boost above 10 lbs I was told. So I decided against the 3.4 size pully. I think I'm at 6-8 lbs of boost currently. Not to certin what rwhp I'm at now. Was 555 rwhp before cam and 3.6 pulley were added. You will smile from ear to ear with your power gains. You'll find yourself wanting wider 335-345 tires very soon. That maybe your next mod. SLAMMER

So the T-Trim as an output of 1200cfm at its rated speed of 55k. By my calculations 48mm Wastegate flows +-550cfm at 1bar. For your application that sounds like it should be able to bleed enough boost at any given time to achieve your desired peak boost level. I did a write-up a while ago when looking at adding a wastegate to my C5 setup as controlling boost on a centri car is sweetness. No only would you need the gate, but a boost controller and a copy of HP Tuners in order to switch from the E85 tune to the 91 tune. I believe your pumps should make it to 600rwhp or so but Nic will be looking at your duty cycle along with fuel pressure to ensure the system is up to the task.

Wider tires are definitely in my future. I was thinking about 305 width Pilot Super Sports. Thanks Drew. Do you think the 46mm Precision gate will be enough instead of 48mm? I was going to keep it simple with a Turbosmart dual stage boost controller so I could tie the failsafe wideband into the low boost side of the controller. I would do a smaller pulley than 3.4, but unless I get an 8-rib setup I think it would slip up top with the 6-rib. http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/dual-stage

At the 7psi level I think 46mm is fine as well. You may want to up the boost in a year or two and the 48mm would allow you to grow that little bit more. Not a huge difference and I don't feel like running the numbers this late at night lol.

No worries. I checked the two local E85 stations near to me and the one by my plant is $3.75 per gallon and the one about 15 miles east on Miller Road is $3.43 per gallon right now. I think for now I will just do the 3.4" pulley and E85. I'll do the wastegate and 91 tune later when I get more money. As long as Prescott keeps an E85 station, I'll have enough fuel range to still hit the twisties up Yarnell.

No worries. I checked the two local E85 stations near to me and the one by my plant is $3.75 per gallon and the one about 15 miles east on Miller Road is $3.43 per gallon right now. I think for now I will just do the 3.4" pulley and E85. I'll do the wastegate and 91 tune later when I get more money. As long as Prescott keeps an E85 station, I'll have enough fuel range to still hit the twisties up Yarnell.

I was thinking of doing that cruise but worried I would get stuck out there. I didn't know there's a station up there.

Now I can rely on you to do the research for me lol.

I was thinking of doing that cruise but worried I would get stuck out there. I didn't know there's a station up there.

Now I can rely on you to do the research for me lol.

What are you getting for highway fuel mileage?

What are you getting for highway fuel mileage?

I think I calculated 21mpg to Black Canyon and back. DIC was reading 30mpg lol, not bad for 1K hp.

Heck ya. You gotta love a turbo motor cruising. I'm hoping my mpg won't be too horrible since I'm keeping the stock cam.