Replacement Tires

Guest mhp316

Guest mhp316

Enthusiasts - Tires are part loyalty, part experience, and part performance. I'm looking to replace all 4 on my 2000 C5. Going the non-EMT route for sure. Lots to choose from but not all in the OEM stock sizes. So two questions: 1) Stock 245/45/17 front, 275/40/18 rear > any concerns moving to 255/40/17 and 285/35/18? Looks like the front rim width is still in the middle of the range but the rear rim width is at the low end of recommended rim size for 285 tires. 2) Considering: Ventus V12, BFG KDW, BFG Sport Comp2, Nitto NT 555, Yokohama S-Drive, Bridgestone RE11, and Bridgestone S-04. I want great stickiness on dry, good as to be expected in wet, lower riad noise, medium tread life. Anyone particularly for or against any of these tires? Sincerely, Michael Price

If you are going to drive in wet occasionally I would get the BFG KDW2's or other similar wet/dry tires. The new sizes you listed are shorter than your current tires. I would just stick with stock sizes. Mickey Thompson also makes a street tire called the Street Comp in your stock sizes. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=StreetComp

I put the Hankook Ventus V12 on my C5 a few months ago and I LOVE them. Quiet, grippy, and trac great :thumbs I'm on stock wheels (and sizes obviously)

I've had the Hankook V12 tires and they are pretty good. Pretty close performance wise to the Nitto Invo. The NT-05 and RE-11 would offer the best dry grip in warm temperatures. They also would only last 10-15k miles. My NT-05 tires only lasted 7k miles because the country roads around my house are rough and chewed them up quickly. I'm going to try the Mickey Street Comp next. $228 for 285/35-19 and $171 for 245/40-18. One of the guys on Azfullthrottle works at C&R Tire and offers good pricing on tires. One of the guys here works at Discount and does the same thing.

oldmxdog61u

Cmsh I like those hankooks too and was considering them for my c6 next go around. Do you bother to carry a flat fix kit t or just dial AAA? I do like the ruinflats from that perspective. Your thoughts?

I have the BFG-KDW/TA on mine. 255/40/17 295/35/18 I really like these sizes on the car...much better looking IMO. The tires themselves are just middle of the road, but do give good feedback while driving her hard.

I put on the BFG Sport Comp2's on about a month ago. Really like them so far. Bought a small compressor and a plug kit. Hope I won't need it!

The Firestone Wide Oval runflats are supposed to be real good and not that expensive. I just roll the dice and don't even have a plug kit.

Cmsh

I like those hankooks too and was considering them for my c6 next go around. Do you bother to carry a flat fix kit t or just dial AAA? I do like the ruinflats from that perspective. Your thoughts?

Both! I Carry tire plugs, a Z06 compressor kit (Fleabay), and my Allstate Motor Club card at all times! :thumbs

The Firestone Wide Oval runflats are supposed to be real good and not that expensive. I just roll the dice and don't even have a plug kit.

I have the Firestones on my C6. Depends on what you want though. They are probably not quite as sticky but considering 90% of my driving is not "aggressive", they are plenty sticky for me. I recently had to replace the rears due to a screw in the sidewall. I had just over 30k miles on them and still had 6/32 left. I had Michelins that I got half that mileage out of for twice the cost.

Had Hankooks on my C5, loved them and got good mileage out of them.

I found a Corvete review of the Street Comp tires on CF.

Bought an OEM size set of 4 (2 -245/45/17 & 2-275/40/18) from Jegs in early October just before Corvette Weekend OC Maryland. I had a set of worn out F-1's on car.

Jegs delivered only 3 tires, 1 correct front, 1 correct rear and a 20". Got on the phone with them, they were very co-operative and did everything they needed to do to get me all the correct tires on time for the event.

When I first put them on, they seemed to understeer a little but as they broke in, that went away. Now these tires sure to seem to bite the road real well. They are smooth, quiet and have excellent straight line traction as well as bite in the curves, corners and turns. The only time they break loose is if I corner too hard with heavy acceleration OR if I turn traction control off and purposely make them light off. I can't comment on wet running, I only drive my C5 on dry roads

They cost a little less than $800 for the set of 4 from Jegs and another $150 to have put on the car. For my money, they are TOP NOTCH, I give them a 9 to 9.5 out of 10. I highly reccomend them and plan to get wider ones for the back if/when they become available.

I only run BFGs Sports on my C's //// great mileage ... and sticky enough for me (till they get near replacement ... they get a little slippery then .... somewhere near 40k)

I have KDW's on the rear and I like them, but the fronts are just the Sports and frankly I am not as fond of them. This next time around I was going to look at the new KDW Replacement Big Poppa showed me, KDW2's or Nitto's. I have had them close to 2 years and its just now getting to the point I need to replace them so I am not to unhappy with that result.

Guest mhp316

I only run BFGs Sports on my C's //// great mileage ... and sticky enough for me (till they get near replacement ... they get a little slippery then .... somewhere near 40k)

LastC3 - I have an older set of KDWs now and like them. The dealer is pushing me toward the Sport Comp2 line. Tread pattern is radically different, they are W speed rating vs. Y, but new composite material which I have no experience with, and they are cheaper than the KDWs (strange). Between the two BFGs, which way would you lean? I am a very spirited driver and like corners. Although I've never taken the car to a track road course, I want something that won't make me nervous. Thoughts?

Guest mhp316

I have the BFG-KDW/TA on mine.

255/40/17

295/35/18

I really like these sizes on the car...much better looking IMO.

The tires themselves are just middle of the road, but do give good feedback while driving her hard.

Bigfoot - Are your wider/shorter tires on stock rims? My rims are stock and I believe the front 17" rims are 8.5" wide whereas the rear 18" rims are 9.5" wide. I definitely think a wider tire looks great. Some tire stores told me, however, that the wider/shorter tires may bow on the rim a bit since they will be at the lower tolerance rim width with wider tires. Thoughts?

Guest mhp316

I've had the Hankook V12 tires and they are pretty good. Pretty close performance wise to the Nitto Invo. The NT-05 and RE-11 would offer the best dry grip in warm temperatures. They also would only last 10-15k miles. My NT-05 tires only lasted 7k miles because the country roads around my house are rough and chewed them up quickly. I'm going to try the Mickey Street Comp next. $228 for 285/35-19 and $171 for 245/40-18. One of the guys on Azfullthrottle works at C&R Tire and offers good pricing on tires. One of the guys here works at Discount and does the same thing.

Jon - Do you happen to know the names (or handles) of the folks that work at Discount Tire and C&R? I would certainly like to give them the business rather than someone without some affiliation to ACE. I also feel they would be able to provide me some insights that I don't already have. Thank you.

AnMRacing2 here works at Discount Tire. His name is Andrew. Great guy and he's hooked me up more than once. Ted

I have the BFG-KDW/TA on mine.

255/40/17

295/35/18

I really like these sizes on the car...much better looking IMO.

The tires themselves are just middle of the road, but do give good feedback while driving her hard.

Bigfoot - Are your wider/shorter tires on stock rims? My rims are stock and I believe the front 17" rims are 8.5" wide whereas the rear 18" rims are 9.5" wide. I definitely think a wider tire looks great. Some tire stores told me, however, that the wider/shorter tires may bow on the rim a bit since they will be at the lower tolerance rim width with wider tires. Thoughts?

I don't think they are any shorter or taller. They are a bit wider though. Enough to notice for sure, but definitely not so much that I'm worried about them. Actually I think it is better.

Both my Brother and I have Hankooks tires.. Pretty good tires makes good Smoke :3gears: ...