230/234 114+2 Comp Cam vs 230/234 114+2 Bullet Racing Cam

Jon

I've used Bullet Racing Cams in the past and I like them a lot. So do many other racers. So I was thinking I would have them grind the Spinmonster cam. Only there are slight differences even though the .050 durations would be the same. How would the different advertised durations and different durations at .200 affect things if I had the Bullet Cam ground?

http://bulletcams.com/

Comp Cam:

Adv Dur/ Dur @ .050/ Dur @ .200/ Lobe Lift/ Lift w/ 1.7:1

280 230 154 .360 .612

283 234 155 .352 .598

Bullet Racing Cam:

284 230 153 .3677 .625

288 234 156 .3677 .625

I've used Bullet Racing Cams in the past and I like them a lot. So do many other racers. So I was thinking I would have them grind the Spinmonster cam. Only there are slight differences even though the .050 durations would be the same. How would the different advertised durations and different durations at .200 affect things if I had the Bullet Cam ground?

http://bulletcams.com/

Comp Cam:

Adv Dur/ Dur @ .050/ Dur @ .200/ Lobe Lift/ Lift w/ 1.7:1

280 230 154 .360 .612

283 234 155 .352 .598

Bullet Racing Cam:

284 230 153 .3677 .625

288 234 156 .3677 .625

In essentially the same amount of time, you are opening the valve farther, so the lifters and valves will accelerate faster.

You will be fine, you may just want to make sure they give you an effective valve spring recommendation.

Just got off the phone with Bullet. He said those lobes would work well together and that they are some of their newest lobes. He also recommended a spring package with 150-160lbs seat and 375lbs open. Which means the Brian Tooley Platinum springs will work perfect and help keep the budget down. How much preload should I use on LS7 lifters?

Talked with Mark at Bullet Racing Cams(one of the engineers) this morning and he is advocating a different grind since I use it on a road course occasionally. Still using the same .3677 lobes on intake and exhaust. 230/237 .625/.625 113+4 IVO 6 IVC 44 EVO 56 EVC 2

I think it's OK. I can see why he moved the ICL to a 109 based on your input.

Do you think it's the right move going to the 230/237 113+4 or should I stick with the 230/234 114+2?

Do you plan on doing anything else to the car?

Not for a long while.

Bullet also has a 227 .3677 lobe. So I could do a 227/234 .625/.625 113+3.

IVO 3.5

IVC 43.5

EVO 53.0

EVC 1.0

4.5 overlap

If it were me, I would go with the one Mark recommended. I would probably put it in straight up, but make sure it is degreed to verify this. Just dot to dot does not guarantee the cam is straight up. I think when you are giving it the gun, you will be happier. If you end up doing something completely crazy to the heads, you may want to change it, but flow numbers will determine that. Depending on head work, it may make that cam even more happy.

If it were me, I would go with the one Mark recommended. I would probably put it in straight up, but make sure it is degreed to verify this. Just dot to dot does not guarantee the cam is straight up. I think when you are giving it the gun, you will be happier.

If you end up doing something completely crazy to the heads, you may want to change it, but flow numbers will determine that. Depending on head work, it may make that cam even more happy.

Thanks. I was leaning toward Mark's suggestion. He didn't steer me wrong in the past. He will also chat your ear off about how all this stuff works and help you learn. When you say straight up, you mean 109ICL right? Mark is going to grind 4* of advance into it. Can you get a degree wheel in a C6?

Yeah, the ICL will be on the card and the engine needs to match it. They make small degree wheels, so it shouldn't be a problem. May need to drop the cradle a tick, but no biggie...

He is grinding in the advance to give you some low-mid.

I think it is solid for a mild overlap cam.

Right on.

Do I check the degree deal first? Then order an adjustable timing set if its off from dot to dot? What timing set do you recommend?

The Z chain is probably overkill in a street application. Single bolt or three bolt is a matter of preference, but single bolt cores can sometimes be hard to source. Naturally, just make sure the cam sprocket matches your cam choice.