AI vs Comp cam lobes

Jon

In the search for camshaft nirvana I happened upon the Advanced Induction website where they talk about their own cam lobes and how they 100% QC their cams once recieved. The QC thing has me worried about ordering from Comp as they have been shown to ship out cams that were way off in what was actually ordered. So I was wondering what if I ordered a 230/234 114 LSA 112 ICL cam from AI? They offer a .600 lift lobe, a .631 lift, and even .651 lift. I was thinking of using the .631 on the intake and .600 on the exhaust. http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX/AiLSxCamsHR.php http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX/AiLSxBilletCams.php The cam I was going to run was recommended by Spinmonster on the big board and many folks have run the cam with good luck. 480's to low 500's rwhp depending on what bolt ons. 230 XFI lobe .613 234 XER lobe .598 114 LSA 112 intake center line What say you oh wise technical wizards?

I think AI makes good stuff. I don't agree with everything Phil talks about in different threads. For example, there are very definite areas where you want to close the intake valve. He posts on his site that this is not important. I personally prefer more aggressive Comp lobes because the get the valve off the seat faster. But this takes a strong valve spring to control. The sooner I can get the head flowing, the more air and fuel I can pack into the cylinder. Then I want to close it slower, to try and limit valve bounce. This is accomplished through an asymmetrical lobe. Nothing new there, been around since Grumpy's day. I was building a thread where I was talking about this stuff and how it all relates to power production, but people shit in it, so I stopped.

Personally, I think Spin has a good combo there. I think it is making more power than the comparable AI stuff, but I am not 100% on that. A quick jaunt over to LS1Tech would tell you for certain.

First off don't post on corvetteforum, period. Secondly, don't read corvetteforum. I wouldn't pick a camshaft based on anything from corvetteforum as it's guaranteed to be fully biased and generally full of shit. Talk to a cam guy, you know somebody who lives and breathes camshaft and valvetrain design for the last 30+ years and is heavily rooted in the LS schema.

No matter what cam you choose, make sure you get a Cloyes Hex-A-Just or similar timing chain and degree it in.

You mean have Joe degree it in, lol.

Nic brings up a good point. It wouldn't hurt to talk to someone like Ed Curtis and go over your combo with him.

But, I still like the looks of the Spin cam.

I know I should just talk to Ed, but I get bored at work. At least the Vette cam won't have 39 degrees of overlap like the GTO, lol.

The decision is ultimately yours, no matter what cam you choose. But making an informed decision will help you sleep better at night.

I am thinking of developing my own line of custom cams. But instead of giving them evil names like "The Night Predator", or the "Scorpion", I think I am going to name them after Hanna Barbera cartoon characters. I am going to have the Fred, the Elroy, the Barney, the Wilma, the Judy, LOL

The decision is ultimately yours, no matter what cam you choose.

But making an informed decision will help you sleep better at night.

Very true. I could always give Ed those Spinmonster specs and see if he could improve on it without negatively affecting fuel mileage. That's the most attractive part of that cam. Only 4 degrees of overlap and people have made between 480-505rwhp with it. I just wish Comp offered a cam doctor service with their cam orders. So you can verify what you order is what you get.

I am thinking of developing my own line of custom cams.

But instead of giving them evil names like "The Night Predator", or the "Scorpion", I think I am going to name them after Hanna Barbera cartoon characters.

I am going to have the Fred, the Elroy, the Barney, the Wilma, the Judy, LOL

I want the Bam Bam. It pulverizes the competition. :)

The decision is ultimately yours, no matter what cam you choose.

But making an informed decision will help you sleep better at night.

Very true. I could always give Ed those Spinmonster specs and see if he could improve on it without negatively affecting fuel mileage. That's the most attractive part of that cam. Only 4 degrees of overlap and people have made between 480-505rwhp with it. I just wish Comp offered a cam doctor service with their cam orders. So you can verify what you order is what you get.

You could get ahold of Audie Thomas and see who has a Cam Doctor in town or close by.

But instead of giving them evil names like "The Night Predator", or the "Scorpion", I think I am going to name them after Hanna Barbera cartoon characters.

Or the Dino, it licks the competition, LOL

Isn't that the "Big Poppa"?

I think he does it because he's hungry.

I think he does it because he's hungry.

He does it because nothing lubricates better than a good licking.

If I order through Ed I wonder if he can cam doctor it before sending it out?

He likely already does.

I have never heard of a QC issue with him.

If I order through Ed I wonder if he can cam doctor it before sending it out?

He likely already does.

I have never heard of a QC issue with him.

Good point.

Ok, it's been awhile since I did much reading on cam tech, I fell in love with spinmonsters numbers a coupl of years ago, I liked his approach to Making power in the LS3 without sacrificing street ability. Would I use his numbers today, yes! But I would find the best maker out there to order it from. What is Cam Docter ???

Ok, it's been awhile since I did much reading on cam tech, I fell in love with spinmonsters numbers a coupl of years ago, I liked his approach to Making power in the LS3 without sacrificing street ability.

Would I use his numbers today, yes! But I would find the best maker out there to order it from.

What is Cam Docter ???

You measure the cam after it's built and get the real specs of how it ended up after machining.

Ok, I was assuming with the name doctor it was some way to fix the cam.... Thanks.

I prefer the Cam Pro over the cam doctor.

Essentially, the cam is placed in a fixture that allows it to rotate, just as it would in the engine block. Using a precision sensor to follow the lobes as well as a precision motor to mark the exact location of the camshaft, the true lift, duration, intake centerline, exhaust centerline and the amount of advance or retard ground into the cam can be determined. This ensures that you get what you paid for, but it can also be used to identify mystery cams.

Posted Image