Carb, Intake, Headers...

GOALNGO

I'm getting ready to have Doug put Quick Fuel carb, Edelbrock intake, FlowTech headers on my '81.....Want to hear any comments anyone might have about this....

Anything done to the 81 has to help, removal of teh puter in it should have been done at the factory.

What kind of intake? Also, I understand quick fuel carbs are made in China and assembled here, any thought to supporting Holley or Barry Grant? Either way, good luck, it sounds like fun.

Always nice to see shops that use cheap Chinese junk vs. made in USA parts in a vette. :facepalm:

Bromley's Corvettes

What kind of intake? Also, I understand quick fuel carbs are made in China and assembled here, any thought to supporting Holley or Barry Grant?

Either way, good luck, it sounds like fun.

Last I heard Quick fuels where being made at there factory in Bowling Green KY. Maybe some of the parts are made in China does not matter to me they work great and good price. I have installed about 15 or so in the past few years and only problem I ever had with one is crap got in a needle and seat. The tank had crap in it so not the fault of the carb. Once the tank was cleaned out its been fine.

I was not looking for a testimony on quality, they use Proform centers, which are certainly not the best thing going, but whatever. I was just asking because carburetors are one of the things we do manufacture domestically, so why not support an American manufacturer, instead of someone who is sourcing parts from overseas and assembling them here to give the impression of being American made? The answer I gleaned from your response is that they are cheap and of the 15 you have put on, you have not seen any failures. That's fine, do your customers know they are manufactured in China and assembled here? I would want to know if it were my car. Now, what about the intake? :popcorn:

Hell yeah, and we know carbs better than anyone, hire some of those mill wrights that got laid off when Holley downsized and bring a few of those jobs back.

Bromley's Corvettes

Parts have been ordered. I think Alan was hoping some other guys would post feed back about there carb and intake and headers. I dont no how the tread turned into a war on parts made in china lol. Everyone has parts made somewhere else these days Alan does not care as long as they work well.

I am certain he will be happy. It was just hard to provide any more feedback because there was not much detail about what he wanted out of the car. Anyway, I can hardly wait to see some before and afters. :)

Posted Image ... and this is a great start ..... especially if the emissions stuff is gone at the end of the day .... would certainly budget for a set of heads at some point ... we weren't provided with the best head flow during these years .....

Should be a big improvement ..... Posted Image

I always say do the heads and cam, the 80 thru 82 model heads are pure garbage, there's not even enough there to port them without cutting thru the casting, then they crack.... Try to talk him into even a stock set off of an early 350 motor, they will flow better then his stockers. This was the emissions years and they were designed to flow less for better numbers at the sniffer not the dyno....

Bromley's Corvettes

I have a nice set of take offs. They came off a 78 vette with only 49,000 miles. The engine was running great but the guy wanted to do the Edbrock heads and cam and intake package. Even the crappy stock 81 heads wake up with intake and carb and headers. Still a nice improvement but yes would be better with better heads and or cam. Hes on a budget just wants it to run better and run well all the time not only when it wants to lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

The old Q-jet was dripping gas into engine. It was so full it was dripping out rear main and when i pulled spark plugs gas just poured out everywhere lol. In side of engine nice and clean now lol. Hope it did not mess anything up we will see. Must have been about 15 qts of a oil and gas mix come out. My shop smells like a refinery lol. The whole biz complex smells.

I'd love to have a C3, my favs are the early ones with the chrome bumpers and the 78 pace Didn't know the issues existed with the 80's, this has been pretty informative