66 Corvette BB 427 with 425h.p 4-speed vert

Bromley's Corvettes

Bromley's Corvettes

We have a nice 66 vette in the shop for a new shifter and battery and alum coolant over flow bottle and some brake work. It has knock offs and someone tried to remove them with out taking the roll pins out so its been a pain to get them off. I bought a fancy tool made for removing knock offs and it does not work. I will find a way I will cut the spinners off if I have to. The wheels have to come off one way or another.

Bromley's Corvettes

Its already 3 feet long and just bends when I stand on it. The spinner does not even try to move ether way. You can feel and see the tool bend I thought about putting a piece of pipe over it but afraid its just going to brake the tool. They are stuck so bad I think the tool would need to be steel and you would need to use the tq of the engine to brake them lose. If the tool flys off its going to make a mess lol. I have about 50 hours into taking knock offs off now lol. Can you say losing my ace big time lol.

Time to give the owner a choice....cut em off or the work don't get done.

Is this the one you needed the lead hammer for? Man, I don't miss working on those kind of wheels.... Good luck!

Bromley's Corvettes

Yup running out of things to try and time. Should have just cut them off a long time ago. The hubs are probably messed up anyway.

Bromley's Corvettes

Is this the one you needed the lead hammer for? Man, I don't miss working on those kind of wheels.... Good luck!

Yes same car stilling working on getting the wheels off. The knock off nightmare lol.

Are teh knock-off wings replacable? If they are, what about making a plate with three bolts (as lugs) and one welded to teh center so you can throw an impact on it. It'll trash teh knock off though...

Yes same car stilling working on getting the wheels off. The knock off nightmare lol.

Is your real name Jay?

Bummer, sounds like this is going to be one lead hammer per wheel..... Once they get trashed it is one huge PITA to take them off. Is there an allen screw behind one of the wings? Is that the problem? I don't remember those having a locking pin. I know the MG didn't have them on their true knock offs and I thought the Vettes were the same way....

Bromley's Corvettes

Are teh knock-off wings replacable? If they are, what about making a plate with three bolts (as lugs) and one welded to teh center so you can throw an impact on it. It'll trash teh knock off though...

They still sell the spinners so looks like cutting them off and replacing them will be the best at this point. Or cut them off and put other wheels on it for now and save the knock off stuff for later. They use a small roll pin that fits into a slot. When the spinner gets turned with the pin still in it gets messed up. It makes it so you cant get the pin out. It jams the spinner to the hub. Roll pins are like a spring steel so good luck drilling them out I already tried one lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

Is your real name Jay?

No sir this is not my first rodeo if you think you can get them off come on over I will pay you Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

Bummer, sounds like this is going to be one lead hammer per wheel..... Once they get trashed it is one huge PITA to take them off. Is there an allen screw behind one of the wings? Is that the problem? I don't remember those having a locking pin. I know the MG didn't have them on their true knock offs and I thought the Vettes were the same way....

No Allen on these spinners just the roll pin in the center. I will get them off one way or another lol. Might not be pretty but they coming off.

Is your real name Jay?

No sir this is not my first rodeo if you think you can get them off come on over I will pay you Posted Image

I'm sorry but I couldn't do that quite yet. You need about 64 posts on the same topic at which time I'll be happy to stop by and point and drool though.

No Allen on these spinners just the roll pin in the center. I will get them off one way or another lol. Might not be pretty but they coming off.

Sounds like they'll end up getting broken so you have one hell of a chore. Good luck with it!

I read all about those dam knockoffs on the Smokin Vette...what a pain in the ars, left thread one side right thread on the other...poppin off the center cap knocking it around until you can punch out the roller pin bla bla bla this is the suck. Good luck buddy!

Doug ... can you get to the pin with an angle drill and drill the pin out ???? just a thought from other posts I've read ...... haven't had to problem, so cannot share experience here ...????? Posted ImagePosted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

Sounds like they'll end up getting broken so you have one hell of a chore. Good luck with it!

Yes a chore for shore lol. I love putting huge amounts of time into vettes for very little money I am use to it lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

I read all about those dam knockoffs on the Smokin Vette...what a pain in the ars, left thread one side right thread on the other...poppin off the center cap knocking it around until you can punch out the roller pin bla bla bla this is the suck. Good luck buddy!

Roll pins not my friend lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

Doug ... can you get to the pin with an angle drill and drill the pin out ???? just a thought from other posts I've read ...... haven't had to problem, so cannot share experience here ...????? Posted ImagePosted Image

You can drill straight into the roll pin but they are spring steel so harder then drill bits lol. One of them was missing the pass side rear. No pin in there and the spinner still wont move no matter what you do. I believe they got way over tightened so they are stuck on the hub. I got the car running and new shifter in so it can be moved for now but still going to have to deal with spinners/knock offs. By the looks of the other work that was done by Lund Cadillac its no surprise the knock offs are messed up. They did not want to replace the shifter because its a pain so they where welding on it to try and patch it together. Also had two plug wires swapped Owner had it back to them three times to fix problems they promised to take care of as part of the deal for buying it. They did some real half ass hack job crap a corvette dealer in town use to do. Funny they out of biz now.

...couldn't resist: knock-offs - (noun) looks like the original, but not quite the same. Sort of like making a copy from a copy - it's not quite as sharp as the original. :smilelol maybe these knock-offs are knock-offs!

Man that sucks. TIme for some thick flame retardant blankets laid around and a bit of oxy-acetyene magic. Hub is carbon steel ..knockoff's are softer compound I had heard .. ..good torch guy could burn a slot down one side of the knockoff lug and a BFH would take em off whether they wanted to turn or not. Or could use a cutter .. at this point the knockoffs are history anyway. -just sayin -Frank

Bromley's Corvettes

I hear you I am going to order new spinners and cut the old ones off with a cut off tool. Thin blade two cuts and a BFH and no more spinners. At least I got the car running and new shifter in it so it can be moved around. I been busy on a 71 and 65 but back on the 66 tomorrow. I will knock off the knock offs lol. Posted Image

• 1 month later...
Bromley's Corvettes

Whooo Hoooo finally knocked off the damn knock offs lol. Had to wait tell new ones came in so I could cut old ones off. Never felt so good just taking the wheels of a car lol. Found out why the car is so hard to push the brake calipers have been leaking for a long time so they are holding the pads against the rotors. So needs all new calipers and pads and surface rotors now Posted Image