Questions/Answers for Insurance

aenigma

So you miss some obscure/unknown deadline and you pay a penalty forever? F'n idiots making rules to suck people dry.

Yes, and it's always going to be that way. I'm right on it when my clients are about to turn 65 because the HUGE medicare book they get explains no information that they can find. Kind of like the IRS book. I broke medicare/supplements down into a 2 page summary several years back to give the clients and tell them to file the book under "nonsense". They have their deadlines and rules and try talking to someone in SS who cares.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aenigma

• Bigfoot

• Desertdawg

• Marco

So you miss some obscure/unknown deadline and you pay a penalty forever? F'n idiots making rules to suck people dry.

Yes, and it's always going to be that way. I'm right on it when my clients are about to turn 65 because the HUGE medicare book they get explains no information that they can find. Kind of like the IRS book. I broke medicare/supplements down into a 2 page summary several years back to give the clients and tell them to file the book under "nonsense". They have their deadlines and rules and try talking to someone in SS who cares.

I suspected I was SOL after talking to a few SS people, but hoping that someone who cared would have a different answer. Thanks for the reply.

A few years ago, one SS clerk was adamant that my part B amount (~$250) was correct even though I had retired. I went to a different SS office and they had no problem processing the paperwork, including refunds, to get it dropped to $98. The bottom line is that you can't trust the local gov't worker to follow the fed's rules.

OK so last March I snuck off to Ak Chin one afternoon and happened to be in my wife's car. After losing my share I returned to the lot only to find a Security Guard standing behind the car with an older women standing next to her Dodge Pick-up. She had cut a corner too close and took out about $3,500 in damage to my wife's car. The damage to her truck extended from the front quarter across both passenger doors and along the rear quarter-panel. The Reservation Police came and completed a report and also got me all her information including the contact for her insurance company. She had admitted fault and since the truck was only a few months old I didn't think twice about her insurance. Dropped off the car for repair understanding that her insurance would cover my $500 Deductible. When I went to pick up the car I came to find out that her insurance was apparently "not in effect" the day of the accident and was stuck with paying the deductible. Been with USAA for 27 years and thought I would be covered since I carry the Un-Insured/Under-Insured Coverage. This is when I came to find out that this only covers applies to Medical Coverage. Was also told that this was an Arizona thing and was not the same in all states. Is there anything I can do besides reducing my deductible to cover us in an accident when not at fault and the other party does not have proper coverage??? Thanks Skip post-2073-012491100 1358002505.jpg

OK so last March I snuck off to Ak Chin one afternoon and happened to be in my wife's car. After losing my share I returned to the lot only to find a Security Guard standing behind the car with an older women standing next to her Dodge Pick-up. She had cut a corner too close and took out about $3,500 in damage to my wife's car. The damage to her truck extended from the front quarter across both passenger doors and along the rear quarter-panel. The Reservation Police came and completed a report and also got me all her information including the contact for her insurance company. She had admitted fault and since the truck was only a few months old I didn't think twice about her insurance. Dropped off the car for repair understanding that her insurance would cover my $500 Deductible.

When I went to pick up the car I came to find out that her insurance was apparently "not in effect" the day of the accident and was stuck with paying the deductible.

Been with USAA for 27 years and thought I would be covered since I carry the Un-Insured/Under-Insured Coverage. This is when I came to find out that this only covers applies to Medical Coverage. Was also told that this was an Arizona thing and was not the same in all states.

Is there anything I can do besides reducing my deductible to cover us in an accident when not at fault and the other party does not have proper coverage???

Thanks

Skip

post-2073-012491100 1358002505.jpg

The uninsured motorist coverage is the most commonly misunderstood coverage on an auto insurance policy. It has the wrong name in my opinion :) Uninsured motorist covers your and your passengers' pain and suffering, death, medical, and loss of wages if the at-fault driver who hit you has no insurance. Collision covers damage from anything colliding with your car minus an animal.

Usually, once your insurance company pays for your damages, the will subrogate (go after) the at fault driver for their damages plus your deductible. You should check with your insurance company and see if they did, and if so, what the status is. Usually uninsured drivers have nothing to go after though.

You can also take the driver to small claims court.

For my clients, I've called the at-fault party telling them we are going after them and they should set up a payment plan with my client to at least get the deductible paid. It's actually worked sometimes in the past because I carry the weight of the insurance company with me. See if your agent will make that call.

Oh....regarding the deductible for the future, either lower it or make friends with a guido type dude.

Hmmm, that's strange. I was in an accident back in '93 with an uninsured motorist. Called State Farm and they took care of everything. I just got a call when the car was done, paid my deductible and took the car home. Some years later I got a check in the mail for a refund of my deductible. This was in KS.

Hmmm, that's strange. I was in an accident back in '93 with an uninsured motorist. Called State Farm and they took care of everything. I just got a call when the car was done, paid my deductible and took the car home. Some years later I got a check in the mail for a refund of my deductible. This was in KS.

The uninsured motorist probably paid State Farm back. They get put in collections and all that fun stuff.

The uninsured motorist probably paid State Farm back. They get put in collections and all that fun stuff.

Yes, I know that. But the way you made it sound is that the insured would have to pay repairs until they collected from the uninsured.

Yes, I know that. But the way you made it sound is that the insured would have to pay repairs until they collected from the uninsured.

No. The question was about the deductible.

• 3 weeks later...
fourseventeen

I have my daily driver and I had my previous Z06 and all my motorcycles covered with Geico...they had the best rates on my motorcycles and my truck BUT today I called Hagerty in regards to coverin my Z06...that call saved me $400+ per year on my vette insurance. I was told they will not cover a C6 but they would cover the late body style Z06 and ZR1. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

Bromley's Corvettes

Call my ins broker he works with 27 company's he saved me a lot of $. I totaled my new Harley night rod kinda went off a cliff lol. No ins wanted to cover me or it was super crazy high because I also have 2 tickets. Brent #623-773-9232 hooked me up.

I have my daily driver and I had my previous Z06 and all my motorcycles covered with Geico...they had the best rates on my motorcycles and my truck BUT today I called Hagerty in regards to coverin my Z06...that call saved me $400+ per year on my vette insurance. I was told they will not cover a C6 but they would cover the late body style Z06 and ZR1. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

They might not. I don't know. I noticed Hagerty's rates have increased. I use another company now instead. The prices are what Hagerty's used to be.

Monique (aenigma) saved me a bunch of money!! Thanks Mo. :partydance:

Very cool Cherye!

I don't know a single person Mo hasn't been able to help save money for and I'm not just saying that cause she's my sister...

You have nothing to lose by checking with her...

Plus she's way cool! lol

Monique (aenigma) saved me a bunch of money!! Thanks Mo. :partydance:

Thank you Cherye for deciding to have your insurance with me. I didn't say anything to anyone so you spilled the beans here just now. Lol

Mo, I do cost basis research and calculations as my profession. If you need anything for you Mutual Fund or Equity side please let me know. What you're doing here is great. Also, do you have a recommendation for vette insurance if it's driven 2k miles annually?

Mo ... just had to change providers due to the current one didn't like working with a small agency and canceled our home owners .... ((but kept our cars >>> go figure)) ... but now my guy is having a hellava time finds someone to cover my diving board for the pool (home owners) without cost almost 3 times as much ..??? Are providers not covering diving boards any more ???? or ????

Mo ... just had to change providers due to the current one didn't like working with a small agency and canceled our home owners .... ((but kept our cars >>> go figure)) ... but now my guy is having a hellava time finds someone to cover my diving board for the pool (home owners) without cost almost 3 times as much ..??? Are providers not covering diving boards any more ???? or ????

Some aren't. The companies I use don't take issue with diving boards. Your guy must be just a broker I'm guessing.

Some companies cancel the contracts with agencies that don't write enough business with them. You don't want to end up in the position of getting cancelled due to nothing you did. That's kind of scary.

Mo, I do cost basis research and calculations as my profession. If you need anything for you Mutual Fund or Equity side please let me know. What you're doing here is great.

Also, do you have a recommendation for vette insurance if it's driven 2k miles annually?

I like to use American Modern. They're great for rates and the payouts have been good from what I hear. They also seem to be half the price of Hagerty. I have Hagerty as well.

:agree Mo is undoubtedly the most AWESOME agent!! She recently looked into Hagerty for the 82 and it was going to be $476 a year which is pretty high. She went with another company with the same coverage and the price dropped to $250 a year. :partydance: Signed up ASAP and just registered the car for two years with NO emission test required...Awesome! Let the mods begin! :thumbs Thanks Mo! :rockon2:

• 2 months later...

A big thanks to Monique for checking out my insurance policies. Will give her the next opportunity the next time I need some other insurance. :thumbs

Hey Mo I got a quote from another company and they're cheaper than my current one. Can I send you the quote and get a comparison?