Bought my first gun today

Z06_Mir

92ZR1Wannabe

Does anyone have a favorite holster for CC for a standard 1911?

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Is what I use to carry my Glock 22, Glock 26, or FNH 5.7. I bought the holster setup for the Glock 22, then simply bought extra kydex shells for the 26 and 5.7. I like this holster because I can tuck a shirt over it very nicely.

Holsters are like shoes though, you gotta try a few (dozen) before you find what is perfect for you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• Z06_Mir

• azz061

• Shifty

I ain't got any guns that they know about said the wise dawg!

I don't either says guy who wouldn't mind testing his home security system. Bring it, I need the practice!

:yesnod

Does anyone have a favorite holster for CC for a standard 1911?

I've tried about 50 bajillion brands/makers, but always come back to teh Mitch Rosen ARG....teh only thing I've 'updated' about it, is a snap belt loop.

I use a a strap on chest harness for the Mark 4

Heh heh....he uses a strap-on.....heh heh....

wickedfastvette

I use a a strap on chest harness for the Mark 4

Heh heh....he uses a strap-on.....heh heh....

You really should keep that private Marc.........

I do not personally endorse CC for a full size 1911 (or any for that matter) I carry on the hip and always have) Just personal preference but something to consider is that studies have shown it takes roughly 500-1000 draws to ingrain the muscle memory of a draw for a specific holster. While that is quite a task for even a hip holster, now put a shirt over it and see how much just the small extra movement screws with your momentum of movement. I have even seen training videos where they gave someone a simunition gun and had them conceal it in their waistline and then had them sit in a classroom. They then had a suspect come in with another sim gun and start shooting. the amount of time it took to present the concealed weapon and engage the target was eye opening. How you carry will always come down to what you find the most comfortable. The best thing I would tell someone new to carrying is first learn the laws and then learn the operation of your weapon. Once you have both of those then find a carry style that is comfortable enough that you would not mind having a weapon in that position for 8 hours. That being said, the best reviews I have heard have come from Cross Breed Holsters. I have no personal experience with them but friends tell me they are the most comfortable. To those going to the CCW class, I would be very interested in whether or not they go over the 2011 legislature decisions regarding occupied structures and vehicles as it pertains to the mental state of the occupants and use of deadly force. If someone who goes could shoot me a message on if they mention/explain the ruling I would appreciate it. Stay Shooting My Firends

I'll either carry a full size Glock 21 or Styer M9. I've had to go the cheap route and use those nylon jobs for IWB. The G21 is the easiest to get to, but neither are tough. I will also carry the G21 in a Blackhawk OWB with larger shirts and is great. I also always carry one extra mag with me as well. I've gotten comfortable any way I carry all day as well.

I do not personally endorse CC for a full size 1911 (or any for that matter)

Just curious... why is that?

I do not personally endorse CC for a full size 1911 (or any for that matter) I carry on the hip and always have) Just personal preference but something to consider is that studies have shown it takes roughly 500-1000 draws to ingrain the muscle memory of a draw for a specific holster. While that is quite a task for even a hip holster, now put a shirt over it and see how much just the small extra movement screws with your momentum of movement. I have even seen training videos where they gave someone a simunition gun and had them conceal it in their waistline and then had them sit in a classroom. They then had a suspect come in with another sim gun and start shooting. the amount of time it took to present the concealed weapon and engage the target was eye opening. How you carry will always come down to what you find the most comfortable. The best thing I would tell someone new to carrying is first learn the laws and then learn the operation of your weapon. Once you have both of those then find a carry style that is comfortable enough that you would not mind having a weapon in that position for 8 hours. That being said, the best reviews I have heard have come from Cross Breed Holsters. I have no personal experience with them but friends tell me they are the most comfortable.

To those going to the CCW class, I would be very interested in whether or not they go over the 2011 legislature decisions regarding occupied structures and vehicles as it pertains to the mental state of the occupants and use of deadly force. If someone who goes could shoot me a message on if they mention/explain the ruling I would appreciate it.

I prefer to CC so I'm not immediately targeted by said suspect. My first move is to find cover, second is to find concealment, third is to draw my weapon when I have the upper hand, last is to have an old west quick-draw contest vs someone already holding a weapon with a clear advantage.

Cover is protection from fire. Many items provide concealment but no cover so be aware of your surroundings.

Carrying concealed allows me to be the helpless bystander until the situation allows me to retrieve my weapon and defend myself. In your example of a school shooting, theater shooting or mall shooting, my chances are very high that I'm not going to be one of the first targeted (even though I'm a big target lol) and if I am then open carry would either be useless as I'm already shot or it could be the reason I'm being shot. So in the scenarios mentioned I can hit the deck, retrieve my weapon and then return fire if I'm being threatened.

Furthermore to mention something like a school or mall, if the shooting starts away from you then you can find good cover and have your weapon drawn with plenty of time to defend your position as needed.

There are good examples out there where someone sticking up an establishment won't be keeping an eye on every subject, unless they are wearing a firearm. In some cases they could have an accomplice in the crowd waiting for captain obvious to draw down and then take him out from a flank or behind with their weapon. Not being a target is most important IMO.

As far as the CCW class here; I learned about the Castle Doctrine applying to my home and vehicle, so help you if you try and enter my space without permission. They didn't say anything about my mental state, but they did say shoot and keep shooting until the threat is gone. Then when the cops are called it's "Someone was shot" not "I shot someone". When the cops arrive it's "I plead the 5th and I want and attorney".

Depending where im at, i carry a freedom arms 22 mag revolver in my pocket, hard to detect, easy to draw and It's only 3 inches long.

I plan to be in the 1/20 CCW...and will post up a summary of the experience. Good topic and thanks for the discussion to all! Now if I could just find out where my old Aikido Master is nowadays...

It's only 3 inches long.

you sure are trying hard to get your tag line changed.... not this time! :lol

wickedfastvette

Marco changes taglines more often than ACE changes topics...

That's because he is always giving us so much material to work with

I carry a Glock 36 on my hip and a .380 Smith and Wesson on me as well. Never hurst to have 13 to 14 friends with you in a time of need.

Marco changes taglines more often than ACE changes topics...

...faster than Andrew can change a tranny????

I carry a Glock 36 on my hip and a .380 Smith and Wesson on me as well. Never hurst to have 13 to 14 friends with you in a time of need.

Yeah, me too on the right side, the left side is for the sawed off pistol grip 12ga Mossberg and a few throwing stars........ Your turn!

or

I don't have any friends with me, that anyone needs to know about.

Bromley's Corvettes

Went shooting at Teds with my dad this morning. My new XD 9 is sweet. Went through 200 rounds pretty fast lol. Posted Image