c4 radiator drain plug replacement

Michael A

Can the radiator drain plug on a '95 c4 be replaced without removing the radiator ? If so whats a good way to do it? From what I can tell the body of it snaps in, doesn't look like fun...I know get a c5...

Michael, you don't "have" to take teh radiator out, but it will take a lot less time and save you money (filling teh cuss jar with dollars) if you just pull teh rad, and work on it at a bench/table. Getting to teh drain is tough, and trying to work at it in those tight confines even tougher, plus it gives you teh opportunity to clean out all teh junk that accumulates between teh rad and a/c condenser. Teh plug/body are npt supposed to come apart, and if they do, chances are one or both of teh little barbs are broken off. Teh square body portion that actually goes in teh radiator tank, has little tabs also, and they will flat-out suck to attempt to depress if you try this on teh car. Here is where something like teh blade from a feeler gauge will come in handy to "bypass" teh tabs. BTW: Make sure to drain your radiator by taking off teh lower hose first, and for teh love of God, protect your Opti!

never had to do that and don't remember what the stock radiator had. I put in a DeWitt. I know most parts stores have them. :popcorn: