Hey Doug Chey wants a C3

Cross

Thinking of picking this one up Doug are you familiar with it? Long shot but figured I would ask. It would be a suprise/christmas present trading the motorcycle for it if we come to a deal tonight. I think it might be a good project for her to try and have ready by next year's event if not sooner. It seems to be in decent condition for what he is asking and a good place to start. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3474483393.html What can you tell me in General about looking at C3's and where we can go with it for her?

Bromley's Corvettes

I have not seen it but I can say I would rather have a 81 vette then a old Harley lol. If you want to fix it up to be able to run auto cross once and awhile it will take a lot of work and money. You will need to go through the brakes and susp and cooling system and good tires and headers and exhaust and maybe cam and rockers. Look at the rear of the frame right in front of the rear tires. If the back of the frame is rusted out the rest will be a mess. Check how the doors open and close and the gaps. If one or both of the gaps at the back are real tight they where pushed back when hit in front and the frame will probably be bent. Odometer does not mean much on older cars way to easy to swap out speedo or get new title with box A when the car really has 100s of thousands on it. So look at brake and gas peddle for wear and steering wheel and column. If he has the gauges out or been messing with them its a project to replace them and get all of them working right. Some guys start hacking up the wiring when doing custom stereo and alarm. I have seen crazy stuff on C-3s where guys cut into the wiring harness and used wire nuts and tape to hold it together lol. They cant understand why the car has so many elec problems lol. Look under dash be four you make the deal.

She knows it will not be the Autocross setup that the C5 and above can be but she really likes the C3 lines so she will go for the best she can while enjoying it at the Drag Strip. I was thinking a Higher compression, Aluminum Headed full exhaust with side pipes and cammed car would really make her happy to start with. She wants to paint it black and pink I am not too surprised lol. No on the cross fire lol. Thank you for the things to look for I will take a look and see, he claims to have not removed the gauges and the actual miles would obviously be something I will not know for sure but so long as she likes the car I think one that runs and drives is a great place to start for her.(So long as its not a frame damaged mess) Thanks again Doug I am sure if I get it I will be asking you a ton of questions.

Bromley's Corvettes

Ok sounds like a good plan. I would at least change the cam and springs and rockers and put a quick fuel carb on it and Hooker side pipes or 3in X-pipe system. I was joking about the cross fire stuff lol. I hear her about liking the lines thats what got me started with vettes. I fixed up a 81 for my mom then I bought my self a 80. They are sexy cars with nice wheels and tint and nice paint.

Bromley's Corvettes

I know you will want to do most of the work your self so i can give you wall kinds of tips I have learned over the years. I can save you lots of time and money. I have done everything with C-3s many many times. I know the best parts and where to get them and what not to waist your money on. I start with brakes and susp and cooling system and work your way down. Safety first then go fast stuff lol.

I agree but I am sure we will come see you for some things too such as suspension most likely I believe she will want to get that and the rear end setup all at once and thats an area I know your better at than I am lol. I would love to talk her into some big tires in the rear.

Bromley's Corvettes

I would do all urethane bushings and new susp parts and good brake pads and s.s hoses and you can fit 275/60/15s in rear. I like to run 235 in front and 275 in back gives it a meaner look and fills up the rear better makes it look lowered a little. It will be fun if you get it you will love messing with it old school no computers or sensors to deal with.

Do you know how long it has been since I messed with a Carb.... I was never any good at tuning a Holley but ok with an Edelbrock. I would definitely be looking for help with that its going to be a good reintroduction lol. But still we have to see if we come to an agreement.

By looking at those pictures, I'm pretty sure it's been hit hard in the nose to be replacing the entire front clip like that. I'd make sure it was repaired correctly if you buy it.

.... I think one that runs and drives is a great place to start for her.

I agree with Ted, Fail.

And just because it runs and drives doesn't raise the "buy it" flag, I can make a turd run and drive and cost you thousands of dollars before you realize it's a turd, I say be careful buying a 30 year old car.

Re-read Dougs post about what to look for and plan on spending a little more for a nice one instead of a basket case.

I have to agree with Ted and Dawg on this one. By the time you get this car fixed up good enough to drive with out fear of breaking down. You will have way more money in it than it will be worth. There are many nicer ones out there for the money.

I had no time this weekend with the move to even look at it so we shall have to see about another time to go take a look at it. I think you may have misunderstood Dawg, I felt one in good condition body wise that runs rough or at all is a good place to start. Body first then the rest. I am not looking for a basket case I just happened upon a deal that might work out however until I can actually get up there to see it in person I can't say if it will be the one I choose. The things Doug gave make to look for were exactly what I wanted to know so while looking I could pick out if there were any issues. I will be checking it over thoroughly if we do this just as with any other but in the same light I know we both do not want a pristine example we want something we can build our way and not be destroying something that's well persevered shall we say.

Ok, well then how about lesson #2... To get about 50 cents on the dollar, buy someone else's completed, or almost complete project. Yeah it might not be the way you want to bond with Chey, but you will get plenty of that fixing stuff as you go. There has been a couple of perfect examples on ACE of just how much it will cost to build your dream compared to what it's worth when your done, and someone I worked with will tell you the same, he built 2 T buckets, chrome and goodies all over them, both cost in the neighborhood of 75K each and when it came time to sell he got less then 35K each... The big board always has several big build projects for sale for half of what it will cost you in the long run, and you won't have to worry about buying one that's got a rusted birdcage or has been wrecked, rebuilt and camouflaged.....

Bromley's Corvettes

Ok, well then how about lesson #2...

To get about 50 cents on the dollar, buy someone else's completed, or almost complete project. Yeah it might not be the way you want to bond with Chey, but you will get plenty of that fixing stuff as you go.

There has been a couple of perfect examples on ACE of just how much it will cost to build your dream compared to what it's worth when your done, and someone I worked with will tell you the same, he built 2 T buckets, chrome and goodies all over them, both cost in the neighborhood of 75K each and when it came time to sell he got less then 35K each...

The big board always has several big build projects for sale for half of what it will cost you in the long run, and you won't have to worry about buying one that's got a rusted birdcage or has been wrecked, rebuilt and camouflaged.....

That is sad but true. Its super easy to have way more into a car then you will ever get for it. Best deal is to buy someones project they did not finish. Or get lucky and find a car set up the way you would want it for half price. Or just go for it and get one as cheap as you can and build it up over time and get deals on parts and do most of the work your self. I would say any vette is better then the purple mistake lol. If the guy will take the Harley in trade and the frame is not bent or rusted on the vette I would swap titles and hit the road lol. I have had many customers buy what looks like a nice vette and find out it needs everything. So just because a car is more money and looks clean or shinny it could be a polished turd lol. I have had many guys over the years call me about a vette they are thinking about buying and they where going to bring it to me to check out. They buy it then bring it to me and find out the car is nothing like they thought it was. Lots of guys over pay for a vette when it has new paint. You can put a new paint job on a rusted out pos it does not make it a nice car. I would say the worst mistake you can make is paying way to much for a vette and find out the amount you over paid would have been a good start at the repairs it needs. It sucks for the customer and me. He has used up his budget for the car from over paying so now he cant spend much with me to make the car right. The economy is in the crapper so its a buyers market lots of good deals out there if you know what to look for. Also its pretty rare when you can find a vette that someone has been fixing up that has been doing a good job. If you buy someones elses work you most likely will be re doing most if not all of whats been done. Or never be happy with it because its not the way you would have done it. If you know you will want to keep the car for a long time and make it your own custom project it wont matter how much time and money you spend on it. It will be worth it to you and most important it will mean a lot to Chey.

What the heck is with everyone and the purple car lol. I like that car its fun. :LolLol: I had planned on this being a rather longer build we are by no means rich or in the top 2% or hell the top 30%. But I do think over time its something we could work on and make progress. I do like the idea of finding someone else's project but again that depends on the route, the timing and price of course. It can be a hell of a lot cheaper but as the Purple car was pointed out it can also mean it has a few bugs to work out... some that might be bigger than others. Its a grab bag at times with other peoples projects maybe Vette's are a little better but buying other peoples unfinished projects that would be so cool if finished do not always turn out as well as you hope. I am going to be looking, I always do that's just me but again this was the first one to come along, Doug's our C3 shop and I wanted to see if he knew about it and get advice. The advice from the rest of you rocks too at this point I think I can feel fairly confident approaching a C3 to know what to look for and help me decide how to move forward. Thanks to all of you for that I appreciate it a lot.