82 Cross Fire To Carb Conversion

Bromley's Corvettes

Bromley's Corvettes

Doing a Conversion from cross fire to new quick fuel carb and Edelbrock intake on a nice 82 vette. Its been running like crap the owner is tired of messing with the cross fire. He wants to drive it more and not worry its going to die at a light or not start. Hes already done side pipes and removed smog crap so the car will run and drive great with new carb. Some be four pix more coming as project goes.

Bromley's Corvettes

I hear you vac lines running everywhere. One of the cool things about going to carb you can remove some of the vac lines.

Always sad to see CFI going away ....... Good luck with the project .....

if he's been dying out ... may need a fuel pump .....

looking forward to your updates and pix .... Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

Yes new fuel pump is on the list. Its odd though hes also had rich running problems it will spray raw fuel out the pipes sometimes and other times run lean lol.

You REALLY need to talk him into a set of heads, those stock heads are crap for flow with that new intake...

Bromley's Corvettes

You REALLY need to talk him into a set of heads, those stock heads are crap for flow with that new intake...

I hear you the stock shorty headers suck for flow and they leak. They get cracks around the collectors and sound like crap. A nice coated set of long tubes would be sweet. Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

And roller rockers... and a cam lol.

LOL that would be cool but I dont no if hes ready for that right now. I think he just wants it to run well so he can drive when he wants. I could put some nice new springs and 1.6 rocker on while its apart Posted Image

I hear you the stock shorty headers suck for flow and they leak. They get cracks around the collectors and sound like crap. A nice coated set of long tubes would be sweet. Posted Image

Yes, the stock headers suck, I went with DougThorley's TriY's..

But I said the heads suck ...

Bromley's Corvettes

Yes, the stock headers suck, I went with DougThorley's TriY's..

But I said the heads suck ...

I like the Flow Techs they look and fit really good and good price. I have been using them on C-3s for years no problems. That or Hookers lol. I love me some big black Hookers on a C-3 or C-2 Posted Image

Dang! I was hoping you were going to throw a couple of carbs on there and give it the nostalgia treatment, like my poor old dilapidated Z/28.

Posted Image

We used Stan's TriYs ... just to boost some torque .... and they fit really well ....

Posted Image

I too love the nostalgic look ....

Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

We used Stan's TriYs ... just to boost some torque .... and they fit really well ....

Posted Image

I too love the nostalgic look ....

Posted Image

How much are those headers do they make them in ceramic coated silver? Are the collectors only 2.5 can you get them in 3in with 3 bolt flanges?

These are ceramic coated .. They had a few color options ... Don't recall pricing but got them off the web site .. They'll set them up any way you want .... They may have a shop discount ...

:popcorn:

...coulda had a Renegade V-8!

Yep! Carbs are for people that don't understand how a CF works... Jus sayin' :smilelol

Bromley's Corvettes

Yep! Carbs are for people that don't understand how a CF works... Jus sayin' :smilelol

I don't no if I would say that its more like new style carbs like quick fuel work so well its faster and cheaper and easier to switch to a carb. Its also much easier to tune if or when a guy makes any changes on the car. CF just has to many limitations and only one shop in the country that works on them and I have guys come to me that have spend lots of money having the whole system gone through and it still has the same problems its always had. Its just not worth it un less your trying to keep the car as stock as possible and most 82s are not worth a lot so no reason to keep it stock. Its not like a 82 is going to be a investment anytime soon. Its also the history on CF most guys that talk to me about it say it has a bad rap so if anything it makes the car worth less lol. No one wants to buy a CF car they are scared of problems with it. Thats why you can buy 82s and 84s cheap. So we understand CF can be made to work its just not worth it to us to mess with it.

I don't no if I would say that its more like new style carbs like quick fuel work so well its faster and cheaper and easier to switch to a carb. Its also much easier to tune if or when a guy makes any changes on the car. CF just has to many limitations and only one shop in the country that works on them and I have guys come to me that have spend lots of money having the whole system gone through and it still has the same problems its always had. Its just not worth it un less your trying to keep the car as stock as possible and most 82s are not worth a lot so no reason to keep it stock. Its not like a 82 is going to be a investment anytime soon. Its also the history on CF most guys that talk to me about it say it has a bad rap so if anything it makes the car worth less lol. No one wants to buy a CF car they are scared of problems with it. Thats why you can buy 82s and 84s cheap. So we understand CF can be made to work its just not worth it to us to mess with it.

just curious, Tom - how many CF's did your market research indicate are still out there?

• 3 weeks later...
Bromley's Corvettes

Cross fire to Carb swap is done. It runs great and more power and looks way better under the hood and runs cooler. Now he just needs some nice long tube headers Posted Image

and looks way better under the hood

Theres a few of us here that might argue that point with you... :lol

Like I said, carbs are for people that don't understand how a "simple" system works. The CF is a rather easy system to work on and once set up properly will run forever without having to mess with them...Ask me how I know about that. :P There were over 600K+ CF made and if you did a worse case scenario and took half away forever, that still leaves 300K+ and then whack it again for another half, there is still over 150K CF out there. We get calls everyday from all over the country and outside the country on CF.

To sum it up, there are very specific things that drive a CF to run poorly, if you don't know what these issues are and start adjusting the TBs like a "carb" then you will never get them to run properly and hence the "bad rap" that a CF gets. However, with a couple simple tweaks and properly maintained, the CF motor is rather reliable, gets great gas mileage and runs like the energizer bunny...but if carbs is all you know vs. newer computer controlled systems, press on.

Bromley's Corvettes

I have guys that call or come to my shop that have paid to have the whole system rebuilt and up graded and it still has the same problems. It idles weird and has flat spots and runs lean and hot and makes very little power. I am shore it can be made to run well if you have a lot of time and money. I was just saying the guys I get don't want to mess with it. Or they don't want to spend more money on it and have problems down the road. Also they have plans for engine up grades so they want to be able to have it tuned with out limits with the computer. I did not know there where 600k CF made. Is that all CF 82s and 84 vettes and Camaros? How many of those are 82 vettes? I did not think there where very many out there.